Could you please post your pictures of

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secret Hills Ranch

Reaction score
We're thinking about putting a barn, round pen and small turnouts on our backyard. We just recently moved and have a little bit of property. We don't have a whole lot, so we have to have something on the smaller side... About how big of a stall does each mini need???

Thanks
smile.gif

Our barn is centrally located and surrounded by five fields and a round pen. There is a path leading to each field. I am using the barnyard itself for a dry lot.

Feel free to go my website and click on "Diary of a Barn" and it will explain a lot.

I'm sure you'll get alot of responses. But, I thought I'd share what I have (I do plan to build more). We raise cattle so everything is built to withstand cattle around here and is sized for cattle.

When I brought my first mini home, he was in the cattle shed for about a month or so, before he moved into his own pen. We converted a calf shelter for his use; we jacked it up two feet and tinned the roof. Below are some before and after pictures. The shelter is 8'x12'.

Before conversion

dakotasshelterbefore1.jpg

After conversion from the back

dakotasshelterandpenfromback.jpg

After conversion from the side with pen

Dakotasshelterandpen.jpg

I am hoping to get a barn built sometime in the fairly near future that will be big enough for more than one horse and also big enough to house my full-size guys as well. We don't seem to have enough time or money to do anything extra these days.

Edited to add: He just loves his shelter; he goes in and out all day long. When it was cold shortly after we got it set up, he spent all day in his shed and seemed very content.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a very good idea. Thank you for posting those. That may work since we have such a limited amount of space...

Marty, your barn is awesome! I can't wait to see finished pictures!!!! It looks like your whole place isgoing to be absolutely fabulous!!!!!

I'm going to take measurements tomorrow and see exactly what kind of room we have to work with. I'll try and snap some pics too. Would love to hear what you all have to say.
smile.gif

My front yard is about 15 acres that we took years to mow and later on fenced into 7 asst paddocks of different sizes depending on the need. We have the nursery and the stallion pen which have a double row of electric fence for protection and safety. All my fence is 3 strand hot wire. I love it. I;d love wood fence more but this works for me. I buy the wide caution tape at home depot for visibilty. Great for the new foals and introducing the limits of a new paddock.

000_14945.jpg

One to make you feel cool

storm12.jpg

My barn is 38x48, my stalls for foaling/broodmares are 10x11, my yrling stalls are 7-8x11.

I am SO sorry those are so big. Sometimes I don't get photobucket.

I have just started using photobucket. It seems the reduce the photo for the thumbnail but apparently not for use somewhere else. It goes back to regular size.

I am still playing with it to figure it out.

Beth

Same here, I work with photobucket and all my photo's are HUGE unless I resize them before adding them to photobucket. It helps to get Adobe Photoshop, open the image, click Image then Image Size then I make the photo half the size it is and it's usually good!

Outside in the pasture

pasture.jpg

Where we take walks and romp and play! (on a 50' leadrope of course...!)

outside3.jpg

Backyard:

outside.jpg

I was super lucky when finding this place, it's only rented but it already had the barn and front pasture on it...not to mention a mini-owning friend right down the road, and a friend who grows grass hay for her mini's right around the corner...what luck!!

Secret Hills keep in mind when you do your lay out to try and keep things as easy for YOU as you can. Nothing worse than having to trudge through a bunch of bad weather to get to your barn. Mine is set up centrally located to all my fields and very close to my house to save me steps. It helps a lot when hooking up electricity and water pipes too, and of course easier to keep an eye on the horses. I have full view of all my fields from my back door. Boy I am tired of trying to make my way though the mud and ice an falling all over myself all the time.

Be sure you make more fields than what you think you need. I have two spares all the time because you never know when you will need one paddock to "rest" or have a sick horse that you want to separate, or get a bully that you need to separate from the rest for a while, or just rotate because an over-grazed area is not healthy.

Be sure to back up any fence you have with hot wire from the get-go. It will save your fencing in the long run when they decide to sit their butts in it and rub them. I use field fencing from Lowe's and metal t posts. It's 330 feet for $129. but you better hurry because the price of metal/steel keeps going up. Every time I made a trip there, I buy posts and stock pile them or a roll of fencing. Sure wish I had done that before the war in Iraq. Prices have gone sky high.

Hope this helps.

Our barn is 40 x 48 -- our stalls are 6x8 big enough even for our 38" minis to lie down and stretch out in their stalls. There will eventually be 12 stalls and a feed/tack/carriage storage area. (8 on one side and 4 on the other + the storage area). This leaves a 24x48 space in the center of the barn for turn out and exercise in the bad weather.

We have 5 acres. I divided it up into a large yard and 5 paddocks with no climb fencing. I have an 8' wide alleyway that runs alongside and between the paddocks. That area gets used for turn out as well.. and we drive in it. That is a lot of fencing.. and a lot of fenceline for weed-eating as well.

Sorry no pictures at this time.

JJay

We have something like 38 working stalls in our barn. Our stalls are a min of 6X7 with most being 6X8 and a few are 6X12. I have some mares that are really spooky (I bought them that way--they were born and raised in a 100 acre pasture and many not moved until they were 10 or older) mares, But when they get a little calmer, 2--38" mares are comfortable in the 6 X 12 together (cause they really do love the buddy system). I have these stalls in 3 basic sets with a min of 4' aisles between the stalls. One of the things that we have done that really makes the barn handy is that we put gates at most intersections of aisleways. That way we can catch easier or get them into their stalls, or in the case of the weanlings, we can just open a couple of stalls and let them run the aisles for a little play time in the dead of winter or in the rain. I have a diagram and have scanned it in. Will see if I can attach it.

Our Barn is made of 3 carports put together. The two small carports on the ends have 6 stalls each and then the bigger carport in the middle has 3 big foaling stalls and our tack room. We are talking about adding another barn because we need the stalls. We have both Swinging doors and slideing doors.

f32d6c63.jpg

f32d6cca.jpg

f32d6c7d.jpg

f32d6c9b.jpg

f32d6cac.jpg

Shannon,

I just love the barn isle floor, and it is a very creative how you have done the barn, very cute. Did you put the tiles down on concrete?

this is my barn, regular ole horse barn.

gallery_barn_03_f.jpg

We bought the tiles from Lowes and we level the dirt and put the tiles down. After we had the whole floor down we put leveling sand down and swept it in the cracks. We only tiled the ally and the tack room. We love our barn

Shannon said:
Our Barn is made of 3 carports put together.  The two small carports on the ends have 6 stalls each and then the bigger carport in the middle has 3 big foaling stalls and our tack room. We are talking about adding another barn because we need the stalls. We have both Swinging doors and slideing doors.
f32d6c63.jpg

f32d6cca.jpg

f32d6c7d.jpg

f32d6c9b.jpg

f32d6cac.jpg

429317[/snapback]

Very nice barns.

I am a little nosey.

What is the size of your stalls? What kind of wood did you use? What is your flooring in the middle. -

Thanks for the info.

Tiffany

Our Minis Barn is 24'x48' with a 10'x48' lean too on one side we can close in later if needed. We currently have 8 stalls 6x8 and an 8x12 and 8x14 foaling stalls. most of the 6x8 have a removeable divider if we want to open up. We can also divide the foaling stalls if needed. The center isle is about 7 1/2' wide. just enough to get a tractor down thru(just barely). We just finished 3 paddocks to graze in and there are 2 small corral areas attached to the lean too. Currently our floors are dirt (actually it is blue stone dust that packs really well for the alley).

One problem we found was our stall dividers and stall fronts are to tall.
wacko.gif
I made them 40" from the floor. 36" if we put lots of bedding in. They are solid as well. It makes it very hard for them to see each other. we were worried about them jumping over anything lower. Doesnt seem like it would be a problem at this point.

Need to figure out how to post pics here. sorry
sad.gif
sad.gif

Mark

Here is our barn I hope the imagine isnt to large or small. The smaller end is 25X 40 with 6 stalls, 2 sets of cross ties and a tack room. One foaling stall. The back end is 40x40 round pen. It works good for us
yes.gif

barn.jpg

Shannon,

Did you use anything besides the leveling sand? Do the tiles stay firm and not move around? Did you put them right next to each other or leave a space? I saw a barn a while back where they put a paver floor in (size of bricks) Looked like a lot of work. Tiles would seem like less work. What size tiles did you use? What type of tile?

Here is ours- nothing fancy but has lots of light and is airy and the horses can see eachother- stallions are next to the mares with no problems although if i have a really sleazy insistent mare she gets moved one over till she isnt in season anymore
wink.gif
It has a fly system and next summer hoping to get one of those really big barn fans as well- it is 30 by 50 with 10x10 stalls- our foaling stalls are about 100 ft away and the stalls are 16x16 one has a 60x60 attached run the other one has about a 30x20 or so

I love the panels for stalls cause I can easily move them myself to modify a stall size in about 10 min or less

that is little sadie in the front of my barn

moreab2.jpg

moreab3.jpg

oops same photobucket issues sorry

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back