could you help me with something please?!?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone! im kinda new to this miniature horse thing i only started in may 2005 and i was just wondering if any one could help me with this one thing?!? i lease a miniature stallion and i love him and all but some times he can be a bit stuborn. the advice im looking for is how to make a stubborn stallion do what you want but make it fun for him as well?

thanks

samantha
smile.gif

Hello, Are you leasing him to own him,... and can you explain what he and you are doing that makes him seem stubborn? thx

[SIZE=8pt]Sam If I recall right you are one of our youth members right? Tell us more about your lease and your stallion and what he is doing that you are calling stubborn.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Hey, its sam, i am only leasing him to lease because i am only part of a 4-h club.

The reason he is being stubborn is hes only three and im still training him. but hes not co-opperating in the way i would want him to for example hes getting better at jumping but he doesnt look like hes enjoying it and if he wants to do sumthing else he'll keep trying to! and then we both get frustrated
wacko.gif
no.gif

so if that doesnt make scence just tell me and ill try to reword it
smile.gif
thanx

Samantha*

[SIZE=14pt]In our 4h youth are not allowed to show stallions at all.[/SIZE]

He is maybe not able to concentrate because he is a stallion and his mind is on other things.

Lyn

lyn_j said:
[SIZE=14pt]In our 4h youth are not allowed to show stallions at all.[/SIZE]He is maybe not able to concentrate because he is a stallion and his mind is on other things.

Lyn

480273[/snapback]

I thought that was the rule for 4H period, maybe they made an exeption since he is small!?

-Gage-

In my state we cannot show stallions unless they are born that year. In my 4-H, we can only drive and do showmanship as well. I agree with Nicole and Lyn, he may be getting sour because he is being over jumped? And his mind may be on hormones.

Another thought is that not all horses enjoy jumping at all. Could it be that he is one of them?

Here are a few things that you may want to ponder:

1. I am almost possitive that you are not allowed to show a stallion in most 4H events. Check with your leader.

2. A three year old is too young to be jumping in my humble opinion.

3. His feet and legs may hurt especially if you are jumping him where he is landing on very hard ground.

4. Some horses are not "made" to jump by the way they are built physically. Try something else instead of jumping.

5. He doesn't understand what you are asking him to do in the first place and you are giving him mixed signals.

6. Consider asking your leader to give a clinic on basic horse handeling or try some lessons.

7. A young stallion usually just has his mind on mares so that is why he probably doesn't want to pay much attention to you.

Best of luck to you.

worshippy.gif
Marty!

I think much of this could be a combination problem, however, it would be hard for any of us to truly help you over the internet other than to give you ideas to consider and eliminate, etc.

My best advice would be to find an experienced horse person and have them evaluate your working time together, to perhaps see what's going on, also to maybe direct you for more successful training.

Best wishes and good luck!

Liz M.

Yes i think you all r right and to maybe take a long break (over the winter) from jumping and focus on other things. In my 4-h we are allowed to show stallions if u are able to control him. i think i should stick to the basics. thanx for ur edvice*

Samantha

Hey, Everyone i would all like you to know that i used ur advice and guess what i got today in my horse show???

first prize in senior stallion and then, GRAND CHAMPION STALLION!!!!!11
aktion033.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
yes.gif

And he cleared all the jumps i asked him to do but he refused 1 thats why he didnt place
sad.gif
oh well im sooo proud of him

thanx for all your advice
laugh.gif
smile.gif

Samantha*

YES!! Congradulations again Sam!! And it only took "listening to others" hmm? Glad you took the advice. Great way to end show season!! See ya at the barn.

Sandy

Latest posts

Back