Could you all spare some thoughts/prayers for our little appy boy?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Reaction score
He was acting colicky this morning on mom/dad, they called the local OSU branch and they advised them to go ahead and take him down to main campus just in case he needed surgery, so at 12:15 they headed that way.. I was at work and got a voice mail from the vets office right as I was going to lunch, first said that they had gotten a call from us regarding a colicing colt and to go ahead and bring him to the office, scared the crap out of me cause I had no idea and at first was thinking they got the wrong number until I got a second voice mail saying that the one doctor went ahead and called down to the University and that we were to take both mare and foal down there, so frantic
default_new_shocked.gif
as you can imagine I start calling home/cell phones, finally got ahold of my grandma who let my mom know I was getting the phone calls and was freaking out, so she called me and let me know what was going on... They ultrasounded him, iv'd him etc etc and when mom/dad left (FOUR hours later) and stopped by my work on their way home to let me know, he was doing better but they kept him and mom overnight.. Guess the vets just called a little before 6 before I got home from work and he colicked again
default_no.gif
I'm terrified, I've already lost one horse to colic (my first mini mare) and my heart is breaking for my little guy, he's only 2 months old
default_sad.png

So if you can spare some thoughts/prayers
default_pray.gif
that he pulls through this I'd really appreciate it
default_please.gif

102_3583.jpg

I'm so sorry that you and your colt are having to go through this. I will certainly keep him in our prayers.

When everything calms down email me. I have some work for you, okay?

Deb

I sure will send some prayers. He is in a great place being watched. It is the best thing for him. Hope he is all well and you guys get to bring his precious face home soon.

Hugs for you and prayers for your little boy..

r they sure it is colic and not an ulcer ??? They tend to act the same with an ulcer.. I know you took him to the university but sometimes the littlest things can be over looked...

Sending prayers!!! We had one years ago colic at that age and it was a big ball of hair. ISU gave iv and enema's and she finally passed the hair ball. From then on I clipped all mares entire belly and hips instead of just patches by the udder.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your baby foal!!! Hope for a speedy recovery
default_pray.gif
:pray

Oh no...I hope to see a happy update very soon! At least he was under vet care right from the beginning--that makes a big difference.

Thanks everyone.. Guess for tonight the vets said no news will be good news and will give us a call in the morning with details of the night.. Doesn't look like he will be coming home until Monday at the earliest unless he really improves tonight..

r they sure it is colic and not an ulcer ??? They tend to act the same with an ulcer.. I know you took him to the university but sometimes the littlest things can be over looked...
All I know is what mom and dad could relay back to me and remember as they're emotionally/physically drained.. They ultrasounded his gut and intestines, couldn't find an obstruction (but said there was still a chance that there may be a small one, just couldn't see it on the ultrasound) and that there was movement in the large intestine but not a lot, so could possibly be gas colic ?? The muzzled him to keep him from nursing while they IV'd him and wanted to with-hold milk from him for a period of time, but for the life of me can't remember the reason, will have to ask mom when she comes in from building the barn.. He did pass manure on the trailer ride down (which they did take some to sample, but nothing else was said to me about it) and when mom/dad left this afternoon they were waiting for him to pass more, not sure if he had by 6 when they called after he colicked again..

I guess he was quite the highlight of the University barn today, all the vets and students were ooing and aahing over him and they couldn't get over how cocky/full of himself he was even though he wasn't feeling well.. I'm off to try and get some sleep before getting up at 4 am so I can work another 12 hour day
default_wacko.png
which of course will seem like eternity waiting to hear news on our little guy.. Hopefully tomorrow will bring GREAT news and we'll have our little fella back home soon

Latest posts

Back