could we be any more of a Narcssist??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norah

Reaction score
Looking at all the photos of the booths at AMHR has me laughing !! good grief , the booths are bigger then my apartment . Really , the coffee tables, the persian rugs, and leather 10 seater L- shaped sofa !!! oh and must not forget the empty velvet draped table for all the trophies that they dont have yet ...LOL are you selling horses , or an image ...If i buy your horse I will be cool ( for the moment ) how about putting some money in a book , on how the new owner should care for the horse they buy from you . Sorry to crush your egos people , but seriously !!!

A woman that you all know in Europe told me that I should not be showing or having horses as it is too expensive for me . This woman had no idea what my bank account was like . She made this judgement on the fact that I said I would like to import a nice , well developed well trained , easy going gelding nice enough for a halter class , for under 3 grand ( for the horse ) ... she laughed, and said that if i want a horse for that price and i allow it to eat grass , then I shouldnt have horses for showing !!!

I purchased Utopias Banner from Chesa , and he has done just fine
default_smile.png
oh and he gets to eat grass , and play in a pasture

Is this the direction you people want your club to go in ? Because this is the message your sending . something to think about

What you may not know is, they JUDGE the farm set ups/stall areas and give prizes for best decorated. Kind of like decorating your house at Christmas to win a prize.

Plus they make nice sitting areas where friends can come gather and visit. Often Nationals is the only times friends from far away get to see each other. And people being there for nearly 2 weeks, it gives them a place to relax between classes and still be near their horses. Sitting in simple lawn chairs wouldn't be the same!

default_smile.png

Pretty much all the National shows are the same--Morgan Nationals, the big Arabian shows, the Canadian Arabian championships -- they even set up closed circuit TVs in their sitting areas so they can sit on their sofas and watch the show. I see nothing wrong with that. It's great to have a place to sit down and visit with friends. If I were showing there I wouldn't have the fancy layout--can't afford to--but I don't begrudge those that can and do set up a nice sitting area and big display.

Personally, I LOVE lots of what I've seen, some in particular. Some folks are going out of their way to give their friends and potential customers a nice place to relax and talk / think about some of the very best horses in our breed
default_yes.gif

What you may not know is, they JUDGE the farm set ups/stall areas and give prizes for best decorated. Kind of like decorating your house at Christmas to win a prize.

Plus they make nice sitting areas where friends can come gather and visit. Often Nationals is the only times friends from far away get to see each other. And people being there for nearly 2 weeks, it gives them a place to relax between classes and still be near their horses. Sitting in simple lawn chairs wouldn't be the same!

default_smile.png

This^^^^. It's a LONG time to sit in a lawn chair. Besides, it's NATIONALS (and next week- WORLDS) This is the EVENT to show off.

Personally, I LOVE looking at all the cool set ups.

I can understand the comfort entirely! I have to say I am always a bit jealous looking at some of the extensive set-ups; but I also know how exhausting it can be for my husband, who gets the brunt of the work in packing and unpacking, and set up and tear down, when there is so much to haul along. And since we haven't had the pleasure of being able to afford going to Nationals, we get along with less. (wish we had LQ's or an RV too, LOL! tired of commuting to hotels)! I know it's easier to show if you are well-rested, man or 'beast'.

I think the main point of Norah's comments, to me, were that someone was rude enough to tell her what she could or couldn't afford to do and how or how not to do it!

I've not known the trainers or farms at nationals with those setups to be snobby or rude. Those setups have become more common and more elaborate over the years... But what is so bad about top-rate marketing? They are trying to show their farms, horses, and training services to their best advantage. Why NOT have a fancy table to do your winnings justice? Lots of people have stall drapes... What's wrong with going a little further?

Marketing and advertising is tough... I'd rather see lots of fancy photos of the horses and their family (especially if the breeding stock isn't showing any more) at nationals than just a blanketed horse in an unmarked stall with a "for sale" sign on the door.

You are probably more apt to buy a Ferrari in a slick modern showroom than you are in a rundown corner used car lot... And more willing to part with huge chunks of money. Some horses are worth the bucks.

When ever we have traveled to Nationals we couldn't afford to rent all the fancy furniture, plus, you need to take down the end stalls in order to set up this display, and that means also paying for more stalls. I made my own stall drapes, and we were lucky enough to have a tack stall. When we had a trainer they had all that fancy set up. I like the presentations and if I could afford it, I would rent all that stuff as well. It is a good way to promote your farm. We do have professional photos and set up a couple of table with them on it and some candy for others to share. We usally stay on the show grounds as our trailer has living quarters, hotels can get expensive. Haven't been since 2008 haven't been able to afford the entry fees and gas is sky high. So I guess to sum it up in a nut shell, I like it, especially the watering hole!

I have to giggle, though- if you think Nationals is bad, take a gander at Worlds! Some of those are more than impressive!

A few of the farms actually rent storage units for their set-up stuff. Some of it is a little off putting, too fancy to be welcoming, you know? It is really nice to kick back on real furniture when you are on the road that long. We have home made drapes and bring a little dorm fridge and set up a stall with a blender for smoothies, crock pot, and microwave which helps save us money. Another stall for tack and another for grooming and we share these with a few other small farms. No fancy furniture but we do have very nice zero gravity lounge chairs.

The Arab horse people do it, so do the people at Quarter Horse Congress. Talk about big money setups there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a web site where I could check out pictures of the booths?? I know a lot of you are there competing and maybe some there watching and get to check out everything in person!! Oh I wish I lived closer to go watch and walk around to meet some new friends and learn some more about showing our wonderful minis!! But I am enjoying watching the live video and learning about all the types of classes there are for our horses!

Is there a web site where I could check out pictures of the booths?? I know a lot of you are there competing and maybe some there watching and get to check out everything in person!! Oh I wish I lived closer to go watch and walk around to meet some new friends and learn some more about showing our wonderful minis!! But I am enjoying watching the live video and learning about all the types of classes there are for our horses!
Perhaps next year AMHR could do a behind-the-scenes look at Nationals, showing not only the stall set-ups but also a bit of the show prep, camping setups, and all that goes into life at the show. Having shown more than one horse only once, I am in awe of those who show an entire string -- especially the amateurs who don't have a slew of helpers! I would love to see them follow a horse and handler from stall through prep, to the warmup arena, waiting at the gate until they go into the arena.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has nothing to do with Narcissism and everything to do with promotion and presentation. I love the stall drapes and displays and "hospitality suites". Aloha Acres used to have an entire beach bar set up - with sand and live parrots and a tiki bar... it was great fun! The biggest show of the year should be fun and a celebration.

Mini and pony displays are tame compared to a lot of what you might see at Arabian Nationals or AQHA Congress.

Mini and pony displays are tame compared to a lot of what you might see at Arabian Nationals or AQHA Congress.
Isn't that the truth! :) It's also all about having clients who have spent major major $$$$$$$$$ all year having a comfortable place to hang out in between classes......food.......drink.......and great company!

AQHA Congress has trainers / barns that have actual construction companies come in and build their set ups - one last year had a full "barn" inside the barn. Minis seem to me to really be more geared toward comfort of their clients, and a place to visit and enjoy spending down time with friends. I don't think they're "over the top" at all : )

The first nationals I attended: NFC was THE big farm at the time. They had a beautiful setup, including a working fountain, it was very impressive. They occupied all the stalls on both sides of the aisle and they had covered the aisle completely in deep RED shavings, their farm colors. I was new to nationals then and I did not think it was overdone, it just showed me that they were very successful. They had brought foals to sell and were continually taking them out and showing them to prospective clients. They were only showing their own horses that I remember; I had met them earlier in Florida and that was the case then.

If I was there, I would head straight for the most comfortable couch who had the most food
default_frusty.gif

If I could go to Nationals I would head straight for the Waterin' Hole -- nothing like an adult beverage to make you feel at home!

I have to admit though, being rather asocial, I could never go sit on someone's couch in a show barn. At the state fair, I always feel that the fancy setups are for friends and clients of the farm, and I feel self-conscious even walking down their aisles -- so I don't.

Same here Susanne. I never go up into those fancy set ups, not even to nick a business card (I collect them)

I've been past the waterin hole many times in lots of years but I've never felt confident enough to go in. Too shy for that!

But I do enjoy looking at the stall displays
default_smile.png

Back