Could use some prayers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaunaL

Reaction score
The past couple years I don't post on here enough for most people to notice if I'm not here but some people have messaged me to see if I'm ok so I thought I might let you guys know what's going on and ask for prayers. I would really really appreciate prayers and good thoughts.

Right now is the hardest time I have ever been through. I had another surgery July 27th, a first rib resection for my thoracic outlet syndrome. The surgery went pretty well, with few complications, and the first few days of recovery were much better than the previous surgery. About 4 days after I got home I started feeling tightness and pain in my chest and pain in my shoulder/arm, much more than regular post surgery pain. I thought it was just from the surgery and tried to tough it out for the rest of the afternoon. By the next morning I could only breathe with great effort and pain, my heart was pounding and feeling very strange. My husband rushed me to the hospital. I was taken back to the ER the moment I got there and within about 2 minutes I was surrounded by drs and nurses.

I had a pulmonary embolism, a collapsed lung, and severe pleural effusion - they drained a liter of fluid from around my lungs. The critical care dr that saw me first said I was already dying by the time I got to the hospital, in ICU they said I would not survive. I was transferred from our local hospital to the ICU at UCLA Med Center. I spent 8 days there in the ICU. I am finally home but still have some serious issues. They found 3 blood clots in my arm, they are still there. My team discussed several modes of treatment, I don't remember the details on why they wouldn't work, something to do with the location of the clots I think. Ultimately they decided on blood thinners. The fluid around my lungs was drained several times before it finally stopped but my lung is still not working or inflating properly so breathing is difficult. I have improved enough to finally be off oxygen though which is great. Being away from my children was horrible, they were not allowed to see me in ICU. I'm so happy to be back home so I can be with them.

I am on bedrest, blood thinners, pain meds. I can't do anything which is incredibly frustrating. I am still very scared that I will have another embolism, with those 3 clots in there. I have a nurse that comes to the house, so she would know if something was happening but it's still frightening. My biggest fear is not of dying, although I am very frightened of that, but that I have 4 very young children who need their mother. I would greatly appreciate any prayers, I need to recover from this, not for my sake but for my children.

I have been very very very lucky so far, but I really need to get past this and back on my feet. We have two people that come in and take care of me and the kids, the house, etc but I need to be the one taking care of my family. Although I am very grateful to them for all they do I can't stand not being able to care for my children. I miss my horses terribly also, I haven't seen them since before my surgery. My son and I have a new horse that is supposed to be here at the end of the month, he is so excited about his new youth show horse's arrival and I can't even be there to enjoy it with him.

Sorry about the long post, guess I had a lot to say. Thank you for letting me get all this out, when these things happen you try to be brave for your family but sometimes it helps just to let out how you really feel. Prayers would be greatly appreciated, the doctors said it was a miracle I made it this far and while they used the terms as a figure of speech I know it really was a miracle from everyone praying for me.

Prayers for everyday miracles...little Blessings...and warmest thoughts sent your way...
default_wub.png

my heart and prayers go out to you and your family. I know it is hard to have to reley on others but try to let them help where they can and focus on you getting better (( Hugs))

Prayers headed your way
default_smile.png
Accept the help... and don't worry you won't ALWAYS need it. It's hard to let someone else take care of your kids for an hour, a day, a week, or more, but they'll be okay and you can read them stories, watch movies with them, watch them draw pics- you get the idea. That kind of attention is important, too. Get well soon
default_wub.png

Oh Shauna, I am so sorry you are having such terrible and serious health problems. My prayers are for you and your family, but PLEASE make sure you don;t overdo things and try to be doing more than you should. You are right, your family does need you, but they need you for many years to come, and not just this short term period that you cannot help them, so please do your best to follow doctor's orders. (((HUGS))) to you, and the biggest well wishes ever!

I agree with the advice others have given. While I'm sure you miss your horses and being able to do things with them and your children at least you're home with them and no longer in the hospital. Take care of yourself and let those people who are helping you continue to do so. Let them handle the heavy load while you concentrate on getting better.

Oh my gosh, Shauna! I am keeping you very much in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry for what you are going through!!!

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I'm determined to come out of this better than ever!

Oh Shauna - one thing on top of another -- here's to wishing you a speedy recovery -- take the time you need to fully recover! Hugs to you ((((( )))))

Stacy

Shauna,

I'm so sorry to learn of this! You and your young family have been through so much it seems. My prayers, virtual hugs and positive thoughts are with you, your husband and your lovely children. As others have said, please accept the help. You would be the FIRST in line to help someone else in your shoes. You will, without a doubt, recover from this and be ready and willing to help the next person in need. You must take it easy for now and recover at a reasonable pace - do not overdo it. I know it's hard to accept the help, but do it for your children.

Please do keep us posted when you have the time.

I will be praying for you and your family. Im so sorry you have to go through. I know you will recover!!!

Shauna you are in my thoughts and prayers. I am sending you strong thoughts of healing and have lit a candle for you. I am posting the link so that others can join in an light a candle for you also. Light a candle for Shauna

Back