Could she know????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novachick

Reaction score
Today we were preparing for the arrival of our 2 new minis, building stalls and cleaning up the barn. Most of the day I had Goldi out grazing in the yard, while I cleaned her stall. Then when we brought her back into the drylot, she came in and hung out in the stall watching us...very subdued...very attentive..as we were building a stall next to hers. Then we left to go to the hardware store and she was LAYING DOWN in her stall...very unusual for her...usually if she lays down, it's outside in the dirt Then when we came back, she's still laying down and when I got out and walked into the stall calling her name, she was very slow to get up and come to me. She seems very calm compared to normal. Do you think she could know that something is going on because we're building another stall?

She's had many normal poops, she's eating and drinking normal...she just seems a little down.

I'm amazed if she can actually sense that something is going on! What do you think?

Jen

Is it hot there?? I know here when it gets really hot most of mine get really laid back and lay down a lot more. She may feel the excitement and know somethings going on. I would keep an eye on her just in case but its probably nothing.

She could be picking up vibes that "somethings up". Just like the dog somehow always manages to disappear just when I want to give her a bath........ :DOH! Or when you go to wash a horse for a show and they vanish to the other side of the paddock
default_smile.png

I'm sure she's fine. Let us know how she reacts when your new arrivals turn up!

OF COURSE she knows somethings going on!!! I bet she even "knows" there are new animals in the offing.

I know people think I'm weird, but our horses pick up pictures/thoughts from us, more than we realize. I would suggest that you reassure her that she is NOT being replaced, but is getting some new friends.....and that you will always love her, no matter what!

I think horses understand alot too.

When I had to wean our one and only baby from Rainbow my mare, I sent her to a freinds. She was also going to get her used to a saddle.

Anyway, while preparing her to go in the weeks before I told her

"Rainbow, you are going on vacation to a great place"

I wanted her to be excited and know that she was still wanted and that she was coming home.

She was there a while, and one day while talking to the freind that had her,

( a very literal kind of person, loves horses but not into their understanding us)

This friend said when I asked how Rainbow was doing.

" well Rainbow is doing great, but youd think she though she was on vacation!"

!!!!! she was talking about her wanting to just eat and relax not do anything.

I about laughed myself silly ! I did tell her she was going on vacation!

And, my other mare Silver will not come up for pets if Rainbow is getting them, so one night I was loving on Rainbow, and after a bit, I said " Rainbow let Silver come up for pets too" in about 10 sec Rainbow causualy walked away, and Silver came up. coincidece maybe, but I think they know.

Stella -- What wonderful examples how our horses understand us!
default_aktion033.gif
Your first one made me laugh.

OF COURSE she knows somethings going on!!! I bet she even "knows" there are new animals in the offing.
I know people think I'm weird, but our horses pick up pictures/thoughts from us, more than we realize. I would suggest that you reassure her that she is NOT being replaced, but is getting some new friends.....and that you will always love her, no matter what!
I agree 100%!!! Mine always seem to know what I have planned long before they should be able to know, and they act accordingly. They know if I'm just out to love on them or give cookies vs. the "mean" stuff like deworming, vaccination, or round penning
default_laugh.png

My horse who is the most "in tune" is my big horse, Rocket. YEARS ago, I had trouble catching him to ride him. I got him through that in a day, but not long after, I'd gone to ride and got him easy, tied him poorly to a post to tack him up and went to get the saddle, bridle, etc. When I came back, he'd untied himself and was wandering around. I kept walking after him determined not to loose my temper and yell. I didn't say anything for about 10 minutes of getting close to have him slowly trot off. I felt like if I started talking to him, I'd yell (having just gotten him through being a terrible horse to catch and still mad at how he "used to be"). Finally after 10 minutes of a slow pursuit, I stomped my foot and said "ROCKET! COME HERE!" and I swear he did all but smirk as he stopped, turned to me and marched right to me!!! Like "why didn't you just say that to begin with". (he is really a character)

With your new additions, it will be an adjustment for her at first, but I think in short order, the companionship will add a lot of happiness to her life
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone! What great stories! I'm pretty sure she thinks she's being replaced...i kept on reassuring her yesterday...my husband even said...you do know you're talking to a horse, right? I think her laying in her stall is her way of saying...I'm staying right here, don't you try to move me!

I think she is going to love our new additions, once she realizes we still love HER!

Back