Could she be bred??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secuono

Reaction score
Had a trainer out to meet the big pony and he likes to talk, a lot. He happened to say A) a baby should be ribby until 4yrs or so. And B) "is the mini bred??"

So, two questions for all of you.

Is my mini too fat as a 2yr old?

And-

Is my mini possibly bred????

I had this same thought last month, but haven't seen any change, she just looks a bit fat to me.

Pics from today. I want to know what you all think before hauling her to the vet for a blood test.

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

k3.jpg

k4.jpg

k5.jpg

k6.jpg

k7.jpg

k8.jpg

k9.jpg

well if a stallion was around her pregnancy's always a possibility but from these photos I'd say no. I've never heard that a baby should be "ribby" until about 4 years old.... I don't want to see ribs on any animal but maybe that's not what he meant...

She doesn't look overly fat to me so I'd have to say no to that question as well. She is pretty!

Last edited by a moderator:
Has she been with a stallion?

I disagree that a baby should be ribby until age 4. You don't want them fat but I sure don't want to look at my 2 year olds and see ribs.

Before I got her, she was with a male horse. I don't know if he was a stallion or gelding.

I got her in January. Not sure how long she was away from the other horse before I got her.

I'd also guess no, but if she was with a stallion it is a possibility. If she were I would expect her to show some expansion in the next couple of months for sure. I do think tho it is just that she is carrying extra weight since she is on summer grass. I also disagree that "a baby should be ribby until 4yrs or so." I would be checking their teeth, diet, worm load and more if any of my youngsters were ribby. That said being very overweight is not good for any horse and is particularly hard on young horses who's growth plates have not yet closed.

I'll keep posted about the mini. For now, the big mare decided to nearly kill herself today. Vet has been out, she narrowly missed being gutted and the femoral artery being severed. But she's fine or will be in a week if she doesn't pop stitches and the flies aren't too bad, they haven't in general, so hoping for the best.

She called to her buddies for the first time, that was weird. She never cares if she or they leave.

Oh, what would be the first thing I'd notice if the mini was bred? Even more belly or??

Yikes, I'm sorry about your big mare. Yes, more belly, no heats and udder development are the things I'd watch for. If you are concerned you can have the vet confirm it but if it were me I would watch and see if she looks more pregnant as time goes on and if she shows more signs then I'd call in the vet if I was still unsure. For the most part my care is the same for both pregnant and non pregnant mares, good food, clean water, parasite control and farrier care.

Ditto to Reignmaker's post....

At the moment, your mare doesn't look pregnant, just plump. And NO, horses should NOT look "ribby" at ANY age.

No real idea how she did it, all I can think of is she walked over some downed branches and it flipped up and got her. Kind of like a metal rake with the spikes up, you step on it and it whacks you.

She's swollen today, but she came out the barn to graze some, so feeling a bit better than last night.

I hardly notice my big mare in heat, unless she shoves her butt at the gelding and I happen to be out with them at the time, other wise, I'm oblivious to it. No real personality changes with her, either. :/

10565205_810907078942802_4382822866687545853_n.jpg

Some FB people are saying she's bred or wormy this morning. Dewormed her yesterday along with everyone else, though.

It could also be lack of proper nutrition for her age.

It could also be lack of proper nutrition for her age.
Like?

She still hates hay and I don't want her eating grains, she'll turn into a lard--- if I do. Plus, grains wear teeth out in unnatural ways.

She's living with the gelding now, finally got the fencing back up to have a big pasture for the mare and 2 smaller ones for the fatties. Still going to make it even smaller, since most is going to the sheep, but have to find out how to do that so the horses can get into the barn and I can easily get the mower in as well. Not easy to do, oddly enough...

Today she looks simply a little on the fat/hay belly side. Except she hates hay and doesn't eat any. :/ Really hope she isn't bred. But if so, I hope she has a filly so I can keep her. Way too many colts out there being tossed around.

She looks pregnant to me and I'd be getting an ultrasound on her quickly.

As far as that trainer, bahhhhh ridiculous that any horse should be ribby. I would steer clear of him.

At 2 she is still a baby of sorts and needs grain. If she doesn't like hay and doesn't really eat it she probably isn't getting what she needs.

I emailed the vet who saw my mare the other day asking about getting her checked out. If I don't hear from him in the morning, I'm going into town and I'll see if there's a payphone somewhere to call the vet from. My cell can't keep a charge and we don't have a land line. If not, then Monday or Tuesday I'll drive out there and ask directly.

Pics from this morning.

Here you can see her rib area and then the edge of a bump. Idk if that means anything.

3.jpg

Her butt, brown slivers on either side is her stomach. But it might just be her breathing, since some pictures it vanishes and others it sticks out.

b1.jpg

Top view, please note she has brown sides that make her loin look more narrow.

b2.jpg

Then a side picture just a hint above her level.

b4.jpg

What is she eating? If she doesn't like the hay and she doesn't get grain, I am curious as to what she is eating.

I have a gelding that when he first came to me he was thin over the top line and had an enormous belly. He improved greatly by feeding enrich 32 pellets and giving him grass hay that was nice and fine and easy to chew. Not all minis need grain, but they do need a decent nutrient supplement for proper growth and health or they lose weight over the topline and get a big grass belly.

Has she had her teeth floated yet? I know she is young, but young babies can get very sharp teeth and it might be why she doesn't enjoy hay. It looks like you use a slow feeder hay net. If her teeth are bothering her she might have sore cheeks and lifting her head and pulling and chewing hay slowly is great, but it is more painful if she would need a dental and she is working the jaws to get the hay out of the net.

best wishes, hope she is not pregnant and you find out one way or the other soon.

PS, the belly bump you described may or not mean there is a foal there, best to have the vet check if any chance at all.

scary not having a phone available for emergencies. Hope you get that worked out too. You can buy phone batteries on amazon or ebay pretty cheap depending on what you need and the cost is a fraction of the price of a new battery from the phone store.

One of my geldings has that same bump and shape of his belly on occasion.

Sorry your other horse got hurt. My sister in law had a morgan horse that did that same injury. Took a long time to heal because it was jagged but it finally did.

You have a lot of worries all at once. hang in there.

Latest posts

Back