Could I have some opinions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubyviewminis

Reaction score
I have debated for two days about asking for advice on Lil Gem. I posted about him before when a neighbor innocently wondered if he was a dwarf. Since then I have noticed some obvious changes in him, or maybe he was so cute and a lovebug that I overlooked. Had him floated, no problems and his bite went off more, by a tooths width when until he was 1 month shy of2 years he had had a perfect bite. Now it seems his face is taking on exaggerated features to me. Just seeking opinions, I worry about any future problems he may encounter, he is built like a little tank all muscle and has very nice breeding, and the best little personalities.

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

I don't know if pictures can show everything, his nicely shaped head is morfing into a larger dome, eyes are much larger and the bridge of his nose went from straight like a nice quarter horse to very prominent and sticking up sort of, then on either side of his nose is a huge dip. None of his halters fit anymore with the cheek bones very prominent now. I don't know if that makes sense at all, and maybe I am just a worry wart. But giving him a bath or clipping his face really makes the bone structure changes in his face noticeable.

Looks as if he is getting his 2-3 yr old tooth bumps. It may be possible that might cause a bite to change a bit. I would have vet or equine dentist take another look.

You need to post full body pictures, just because his bite is off a bit does not mean he is a dwarf.

I hope this doesn't sound negative, just my experience, in 2008 I had a filly born to a mare that has only produced champions, but this time she was bred to a really small stallion that has never before thrown any dwafes. This filly was born perfect, and was shown AMHA and AMHR as a weanling and a yearling. She was part of the team that won AMHR produce of dam All Stars, and went on to show at the local 4-h shows and earned more points then all the other breeds, earning her the high piont Champion for the year. I offered her for sale as she was only 28"s tall and too small for my breeding program. In her second year she developed and under bite, vet came out and floated and still the bite was worse. Now I think she is a dwafe, sorry to say at three years of age her bite has improved after several vet checks, but her legs are short, her back is long and her head is too large for her body. Use your own judgment to evaluate your foal and after long consideration you may have to home him forever, as I seem to have to do.

Sorry, no help on the dwarf question, but really interested in the teeth side of things.

We have two different tooth 'happenings' here, one getting worse and one improving. How/why is that? Or is it just something that happens with dwarves and what causes tooth developement to be so different?

I always thought that a dwarf normally had a bite that was well 'off' and that it would stay that way for life, which is why I find your posts so interesting.

Anna

Full body photo's would help.

Terry your mare could just be badly conformed not necessarily a dwarf (not that she is, but ?). We had one born here (even had John Eberth check her) as I thought she's a dwarf! But he said no, just small, heavy boned and longer back, no dwarf characteristics. Comparing her to her dam/sire and grandparents she was an smaller version of them, so the longer back was more evident in a 26" Mini than a 32" one. She went to a forever/no breed home though. Even her bone structure if you visualized it on a taller horse wasn't heavy but looked heavy on her because of her size.

Most breeders that are breeding for the smallest ones, will tell you the head (and teeth) are the last things to shrink. That's why so many small minis look like they have big heads. The teeth aren't 'shrinking' so 32" mini or bigger teeth in a 28" head size.

One breeder told me, when you have the smaller teeth in the smaller head of the small Minis, then you know you it's working.

Okay, he has been seen by two different vets, no points or problems they can see to cause the underbite, and he had two wolf teeth pulled. His bite was perfect until April, he turned two mid May.

He is small, short legs with a short little body, and he had a cute little *doll* head with a straight nose. Now his eye area is enlarging, his nasal bone seems to be bulging upward, I don't know any other way to explain it. His forehead looks more domed than it was before also. His head isn't large for his body, just has bony prominences that are becoming very exaggerated. The shape and change in his whole head is what has me questioning what is going on with him. I have three with tooth bumps going on right now because they are all at that age. To me he has a normal body except he is still downhill, and very wide in the chest. He is healthy, gelded, and we love him very much especially since he has such a loud and loveable personality.

In these recent pics he is trying out for the Therapeutic Riding Program with one of the instructors.

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

default_saludando.gif
No he doesnt look dwarf to me But hes very cute
default_wub.png

I dont see any dwarf...but just that horrible stage where there are tooth bumps every where.

Okay, I appreciate the opinions. Now I get the tooth bump thing.

My very first mini, who is now 18, at 3 years of age when he was getting his new teeth, his bite went off about 1/2 a tooth and stayed like that and he is not a dwarf. He has been shown AMHR and done well at Nationals.

Latest posts

Back