Could I get some opinions please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No much going on, maybe a slight change in her udder the last couple of days. She is very slightly elongated and soft around the base of her tail. Still has some time to go if I'm right, or I could be completely out of my mind and she's not in foal, mostly no one believes me. Does anyone want me to write a small essay or are you up to date on what might be going on?

No much going on, maybe a slight change in her udder the last couple of days. She is very slightly elongated and soft around the base of her tail. Still has some time to go if I'm right, or I could be completely out of my mind and she's not in foal, mostly no one believes me. Does anyone want me to write a small essay or are you up to date on what might be going on?
I'm sort of up to date, but it might be helpful to add a small essay for everyone who is new :) Maybe writing an essay will keep you busy and help you to not worry for a while haha😂

OK 😂
So here's the latest on what I think(hope!!) is going on. I am the only one who has felt any foal movement so I'm reserving the option that I'm completely wrong and there is no foal.....I do think there is though;).

Obviously she didn't foal in April/May like I though she was going to. I finally by Sept. gave in and have been sleeping again, she's still on camera and I'm checking a few times a night but not what I was doing, man is it nice to sleep! I have been feeling quiet foal movement all summer, this is the sleepiest foal imaginable! She had a positive external ultrasound at the end of June, has had skimmed milk most of the summer, hasn't noticeably come into season at all. With that I'm still going with is in foal. So, the working theory right now is that she didn't hold the foal from last May, either absorbed or aborted outside during the day and I didn't see anything. I had 4 minis in one paddock and two in another. Izzy, Spirit, Tilly and Finn together and Joey and Oliver together in a second. Pay attention now or you might get confused🤣. Oliver is Izzy's 2018 colt, she came pregnant in 2017. When Oliver was born it was just Izzy and 2 jenny aunts for him as company. He needed someone to play with badly so I found Joey(born June 1,2015) at a local rescue, they were best friends at first sight. When Oliver wasn't able to be gelding by the time he was a year I split him and Joey into one paddock and Izzy and the donkeys into another, no oops babies thank you. Fast forward to end of March 2020, Spirit and Tilly(in foal with Finn) moved in. Spirit was gelded a week later, first week of April. There were some problems with the donkeys and Izzy ended up on her own so I had her next to Spirit and Tilly for a while and then she went out with them in mid May(6 1/2 weeks after gelding). Spirit bred her for 3 days and that was the beginning of me thinking she was in foal(read the start of the thread). Oliver was finally able to be gelded in Oct. 2020 and I tried to get the two groups into one paddock in Dec. That didn't go very well and I split them again by the end of Dec. thinking it would be permanent. Early Jan. Joey died very suddenly and unexpectedly so Oliver went back in with the group permanently. So, as of right now I think she was bred in Dec. 2020, waiting to see if I'm right. I'm mostly going with the idea of when you eliminate the impossible, whatever you have left, no matter how improbable is the truth. The improbable but possible are:
1) Finn(Tillys colt, July 2020) bred her at a very young age. This is my last choice.
2) Oliver bred her in Dec(8 weeks after gelding) even though they have always been in stalls and normally paddocks right next to each other and never shown and interest. This is mostly tied with above as my last choice.
3) Joey was a rig and bred her in Dec. I never saw any studdy behaviour from him but he was mostly just out with Oliver. He was very aggressively dominant when I put him in with the group, no one was hurt but her did a lot of herding them around and would grab them by the top of their necks and hold on until they gave. He knew Izzy and they were comfortable together and didn't do any of that with her but I did see him getting off her once. He had a blanket on and I was at the wrong angle to see if his landing gear was down, didn't think twice about it at the time except to say give me a break. That would have put a breeding in the third week of Dec. I think. I would really like it if this happened😊.

Did you get all that? If I'm right and she's in foal I'm hoping to get more of an idea of who dad is with colour and conformation. This is crazy but kind of typical for around here, let me know what you think,LOL!!

What is with winter breeding?!?
Thank you for that, I have a lot of people here not believing I'm feeling a foal and it makes me question myself all the time. It's a really quiet little bugger.

"That would have put a breeding in the third week of Dec. I think. I would really like it if this happened😊."

Taz~ What I think is that you very much want a foal and I hope that is the happy ending of this mystery!

Haha! I don't actually want a foal but I do want a foal from this mare and it would be an added bonus if dad was the little one I lost. We'll see, not the end of the world if I'm wrong 😊

For everyone who's wondering, Izzy is starting to work on an udder. It's small but going up and down every day and slowly getting a little bigger but already has milk. Maybe she's trying for a Christmas baby and me in a rubber room?

Hey, Taz! You know you are not alone! Been waiting on Pepper to foal since we figured out she was pregnant in August! She looks less pregnant now, but still very obvious. I never thought a winter baby would be in the works! Yikes. I don't know as though she's ever going to have this one! Maybe she's holding out for Spring but I don't know HOW. She is huge now, but she and your Izzy share similar udder development at about the same time. Maybe you are towards the end of your wait! (I hope!)

Hey, Taz! You know you are not alone! Been waiting on Pepper to foal since we figured out she was pregnant in August! She looks less pregnant now, but still very obvious. I never thought a winter baby would be in the works! Yikes. I don't know as though she's ever going to have this one! Maybe she's holding out for Spring but I don't know HOW. She is huge now, but she and your Izzy share similar udder development at about the same time. Maybe you are towards the end of your wait! (I hope!)
Thanks! I've only been waiting since April. LMAO!!!! Not the way you're supposed to do foal watch🤪. I have a feeling Pepper might be going to make you wait for a while more but I hope I'm wrong and she foals soon!!

edited ..... NO BABY YET, old pictures and a question.

Taz- You have already earned the honor of longest foal watch 🤣 and have had me so curious with the, "is she or isn't she" from the start. Really hoping to log on one day and see a photo of a foal so I can say "well whadda you know!" 😄
Haha! I actually took a break for a while, back at it now. I have a 'bad' feeling PitterPatter might catch up or maybe pass me, we'll see 🤣
I have so many people I'm really hoping I can send a picture to and say 'I told you so!'(not here). I hope you get to log in and see a picture too!!

Question for the colour gurus. Do pintos tend to throw their pattern or something close to it? I can see how Finn got his from his dad, nothing like his moms. This is the only picture I have of Joey as a baby, he was completely white(grey) by the time I got him. Oh, he also had 2 blue eyes, is that just the blaze or is it genetic? Of course there's always the chance of no colour and then I'm back to guessing only on temperament and conformation.
image_2.jpg Compared to Finn IMG_20200816_175235.jpg IMG_20200718_080156.jpg I have to get a newer picture of him, he ended up pintaloosa. He has lots of tarnish that's come out in his mane and the black on his 1/4'sas well as his muzzle getting white patches, maybe going to go white like dad's.
I haven't felt anything from the foal for at least a couple of weeks but got something last night, yay! Of course if I say that around here I get, unhun, I thought she was supposed to foal in April, or we'll see. Sigh....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back