Could I get some opinions please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm actually doing OK. I've gotten used to it, some days are better than others and I won't say I don't hate the sound of my alarm but it's really not too bad now, it was worse in the beginning. Oh, and if it means anything, Izzy has stopped shaking her whole body and is only shaking her head and neck now. 🤷‍♀️

I'm glad it helps! Good for you going out to check ❤

Well, she's at day 402. I was getting to the point of thinking it's all in my head but I felt some movement last night. She's been doing a bit more side biting and not being comfortable at night but not giving any more hints than that. Of course the very few things I can find about mares who go this long isn't making me happy. Big foal, red bag, weak foal, gi and renal problems. This really needs to end soon.....in a good way please!!!!!

Taz, if you feel something is wrong, then listen to your feeling. Is there some way you can contact a vet to let them know ? I know you said earlier your vet won't do ultrasounds on minis, but.... maybe try a external ultrasound if the vet agrees to do it. I know it has a reputation of not being as accurate as internal, but you still have chances to see something. IMO, you should really let a vet know, for the mare's sake, yours and the foal's.

You may have answered this before earlier in the thread, but is there any possible way she could have been bred at a later date? I agree you should listen to your feeling and get her checked if possible. Thinking of you and hoping for a great outcome really soon!

I'm going to throw this out there, is she getting a soy based feed? I've heard some mares can go out of whack hormonally on soy, bagging up etc. and looking in foal when it's actually just the feed causing an imbalance. I've had no experience with this just passing on what I've heard/read. Hope you get a resolution one way or the other soon so you can relax and sleep!

Taz, if you feel something is wrong, then listen to your feeling. Is there some way you can contact a vet to let them know ? I know you said earlier your vet won't do ultrasounds on minis, but.... maybe try a external ultrasound if the vet agrees to do it. I know it has a reputation of not being as accurate as internal, but you still have chances to see something. IMO, you should really let a vet know, for the mare's sake, yours and the foal's.
My vet saw her a couple of weeks ago and I talked to him last week. He says as long as she is acting normally leave her alone. I could get someone else to do an external ultrasound in a couple of weeks when they can fit it in(they also said if she's doing fine leave her alone) but that wouldn't be able to determine any problems with a foal only maybe size (or if it's there). The only thing to do other than wait would be to induce and that is worse than waiting since you don't know if the foal really is cooked yet and they almost never are in position so that has to be done where they can do a cesarean. So basically I'm watching and worrying but have some good vets who know what's going on and think I should just wait it out but can all get here in 30 - 45 mins.

You may have answered this before earlier in the thread, but is there any possible way she could have been bred at a later date? I agree you should listen to your feeling and get her checked if possible. Thinking of you and hoping for a great outcome really soon!
Anything is possible. I think it's very unlikely that he could have done anything later since he was already 6 1/2 weeks post gelding and I think everything he had was already gone by the time she would have come back in and she didn't show back in and he wasn't interested that I saw but at this point ??????

I'm going to throw this out there, is she getting a soy based feed? I've heard some mares can go out of whack hormonally on soy, bagging up etc. and looking in foal when it's actually just the feed causing an imbalance. I've had no experience with this just passing on what I've heard/read. Hope you get a resolution one way or the other soon so you can relax and sleep!
It's a good thought but unfortunately she isn't. I think I'm stuck watching and worrying for a bit longer, I'll survive it, I'm being whiny today.

I know it’s been a really long foal watch. Is there anyway to have a vet do an external ultrasound sooner? I’ve actually had VERY good experiences with an external. See if she is in fact in foal. If she is go from there. If she is not, you don’t have to keep worrying. 402 is a very very long time for a mini. Not sure I’ve heard of a mini going that long. 6.5 weeks post gelding is starting to stretch it. I don’t think he would have been successful much later.

The one other horse vet in the area isn't taking any new clients right now. I could only get her out for an emergency. Izzy's doing fine, eating like a little pig, I think I have to stick it out and wait a bit more.

Ive also never heard of one going this long either. If this was me , Id be at the stage of "Wanting to know" ( hellooooo sleeeep)

Taz, Ive witnessed many threads on preg mares over the years. Theres been a couple I've wanted to throw my keyboard thru the computer screen. Owners of pregnant mares that have been so blasé about their mares pregnancies. One in particular with a mare that was so overweight she could not actually deliver the foal. She was warned and didn't listen & then got nasty when her mare and foal didn't make it.

Reason I have written the above is because I really want you to know what an amazing job you are doing :) You are attentive, caring & doing everything you can to get this foal safely on the ground. And most of all , this is all on sleep deprivation. I know you are most likely exhausted but keep going , your doing awesome :):):):)

Ive also never heard of one going this long either. If this was me , Id be at the stage of "Wanting to know" ( hellooooo sleeeep)

Taz, Ive witnessed many threads on preg mares over the years. Theres been a couple I've wanted to throw my keyboard thru the computer screen. Owners of pregnant mares that have been so blasé about their mares pregnancies. One in particular with a mare that was so overweight she could not actually deliver the foal. She was warned and didn't listen & then got nasty when her mare and foal didn't make it.

Reason I have written the above is because I really want you to know what an amazing job you are doing :) You are attentive, caring & doing everything you can to get this foal safely on the ground. And most of all , this is all on sleep deprivation. I know you are most likely exhausted but keep going , your doing awesome :):):):)

Thank you. Yes, I really want to know and sleep would be amazing, I just have to wait a bit longer. Who knows, maybe she'll have a foal while I'm waiting 🤷‍♀️

Oh Taz, I'm sorry. I hope there is some resolution soon for your sake (and Izzy's). Wish we could help watch your cameras so you can get some much needed rest! You have been so great when I was waiting for Jasper to make his appearance. Couldn't have done it safely without you! Hang in there and please let me and anyone else here know what we can do to help. Bit of a helpless feeling from here!

Oh Taz, I'm sorry. I hope there is some resolution soon for your sake (and Izzy's). Wish we could help watch your cameras so you can get some much needed rest! You have been so great when I was waiting for Jasper to make his appearance. Couldn't have done it safely without you! Hang in there and please let me and anyone else here know what we can do to help. Bit of a helpless feeling from here!

Thank you. 😊

thinking of you Taz, and hoping for a happy outcome.

Thank you! The vet had a cancellation so I got moved up. Her ultrasound isn't great but she saw bright white shapes. She said the only thing that shows bright white is bone and since Izzy doesn't have any there she thinks it's a foal. Nice to have it confirmed, I've felt and seen foal movement a few times over the last week and a half. She said she looks good, leave her alone. She wasn't worried about a too big foal so that's nice to hear. She also said she has another mini go 14 months a few weeks ago and had a healthy baby. Izzy's not quite there yet 😊.
How's everyone else on foal watch holding up?!?

Thank you! The vet had a cancellation so I got moved up. Her ultrasound isn't great but she saw bright white shapes. She said the only thing that shows bright white is bone and since Izzy doesn't have any there she thinks it's a foal. Nice to have it confirmed, I've felt and seen foal movement a few times over the last week and a half. She said she looks good, leave her alone. She wasn't worried about a too big foal so that's nice to hear. She also said she has another mini go 14 months a few weeks ago and had a healthy baby. Izzy's not quite there yet 😊.
How's everyone else on foal watch holding up?!?
That is GREAT news! I hope your wait will soon be over. Consuelo finally produced milk instead of water on July 2, so I am hopeful it won't be too much longer. My granddaughter returns home to Hawaii on July 15th, and we had expected a foal on the ground before she arrived Jun 21, so I hope she does not have to go home disappointed. We had 10 ducklings hatch, but it won't compare with a foal. With the family reunion after an 18 month long separation, Consuelo is getting lots of loving attention and she eats it up.

Oh that's wonderful, I hope your wait is almost over!! It would be so nice if she foals before your granddaughter goes home. Pictures of these little guys are good but don't compare to them in person. Is her pH dropping at all?

Latest posts

Back