Could I get some opinions please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, she's had some small changes that I didn't post but I am now since I think they might be all she does. 3 days ago she got a tiny belly. She went from looking like a sausage with no definition from her shoulder to past her flank to a sausage with a tiny bump in the middle. Nothing big enough for my camera to pick up but I could see it if I was at the right angle. As of this morning the bump has dropped lower and her flanks are sunken(that would be normal looking not filled out). I'm calling her dropped. I think that's pretty safe since she's at day 349. Her hardness has also gone up a bit and stayed there for 3-4 days now. I'm hoping for soon! Also safe with how far along she is, lol.

OK, she's had some small changes that I didn't post but I am now since I think they might be all she does. 3 days ago she got a tiny belly. She went from looking like a sausage with no definition from her shoulder to past her flank to a sausage with a tiny bump in the middle. Nothing big enough for my camera to pick up but I could see it if I was at the right angle. As of this morning the bump has dropped lower and her flanks are sunken(that would be normal looking not filled out). I'm calling her dropped. I think that's pretty safe since she's at day 349. Her hardness has also gone up a bit and stayed there for 3-4 days now. I'm hoping for soon! Also safe with how far along she is, lol.
🤞🏻

Had a storm most of the night and she acted 'funny' when I first went to bed but it didn't turn into anything. Her flanks are filled out again and she doesn't look dropped anymore. She's very on edge, not normal for her. 🤷‍♀️ One day closer....

Last edited:
I've now survived 3 nights of my alarm going off every 1/2 hour, it seems like the more I watch the less she does. She's gone from being very on edge to being really sucky. neither one is normal for her. Other than that nothing has changed. 353 days, her last foal was at 354. Maybe soon....please, or at least if she's not maybe something to tell me that?

I know this has been mentioned before but bare with me I'm really tired. Izzy has gotten very itchy everywhere, she even stands eating rubbing her back legs against each other. Going nuts last night trying to turn herself inside out to get to all of it. I know they can scratch their bums/tails but can it be really severe all over just from being close to foaling? She didn't do any of this last time.

Last edited:
357 days.
She still has no udder but both teats have been filled(had one and a half before) and not gone down for 3 days now. She has her tail up and is shifting her back end around. pH is still 8/9 but hardness undiluted has gone from 450 where she's been for a couple of weeks up to 700-800. Fingers crossed soon.

359 days...and counting.
Her hardness was back to 450 last night but her teats are still up. She's still scratching but not going nuts so it has to be from being pregnant, does anyone know what causes that? She looks v'd on camera this morning but it could be the angle, I'll know when I get out there in a few min. The weather here has been awful, cold wet and windy. The long range forecast says warm and mostly sunny after tomorrow so tomorrow night would be perfect. PLEASE! I really want to sleep.

I know with people, itching can occur with hormone changes, kidney and liver issues, parasites, dry skin, etc....Hopefully she foals soon and won't be so itchy!!

Reactions: Taz
Of course she's itchy again, almost sitting down to get her bum good! I'm thinking of that as a positive. If it's not baby then it's probably lice, I had a horse move in with it a few years ago and it crops up now and then with one of them. Definitely a small v today. She did that a couple of days ago and it was gone by night, we'll see......

Last edited:
V was gone again by the time she came in last night.
360 days, I can't believe it. I thought this was going to be an easy foal watch since I'd done this with her once before. The only thing she's doing the same is giving me almost nothing to go on, less this time than last and it's all different. This is the last day of cold windy wet weather for a while, maybe the warm sun coming tomorrow will get things going.....

And the v's back again. UGH!! Still no udder, sigh.

Day 362😖
Of course I'm freaking out that she's going so long. I do still think there's a foal and not just a false pregnancy, time will tell if I'm right or not. Last night I was googling why they can carry to and over their due date. What I found was either a problem with the placenta that makes the foal not develop as fast as normal or a problem with the foals pituitary gland that makes them not let off the steroid that tells the mare to go into labor, in which case the foal gets really big. Yup, totally freaking out😫.

Last edited:
For big horses 370 days is still considered within normal gestation length and can go longer with a live foal, I'm guessing with mini's too? I hope so....Starting to think it's never going to happen. Of course once she foals I'll say it was all worth it...again. Babbling and stressing.....

Taz, was her previous foal a red bag ? Just wondering because if so, maybe it explains the fact she gave birth earlier than this one...Maybe this baby won't be a red bag and he'll stay the length of time he's supposed to stay in there. I'll tell you what, while I've often heard and read that minis go shorter gestational lenghts, my experience with Flicka makes me wish she had a longer gestational lenght with Ti-pou.... Now that I've gone through what I've gone through, I'd freak out it she was going to have it sooner than her date... but again, that's just me. Just a thought to reassure you.

You could always ring a vet who has experience with minis pregnancies and ask her or his opinion.

I know you said she doesn't have any udder... but did you still try to see if there is any milk ?

Thanks JFNM minitures. Her last foal wasn't a red bag but yes, I am trying to be positive about longer is better to have a fully cooked baby. She has skimmed milk, hardness up a bit, no colostrum yet. She didn't have anything for the first 3 hours or so with her last one. I had a dog get hurt last night,she's fine now, but between looking after her and foal watch I got no sleep and I'm worse(worrying) today for it, I'll get over it by tomorrow. Maybe she'll foal tonight! 😃
How's Flicka doing?

Thanks JFNM minitures. Her last foal wasn't a red bag but yes, I am trying to be positive about longer is better to have a fully cooked baby. She has skimmed milk, hardness up a bit, no colostrum yet. She didn't have anything for the first 3 hours or so with her last one. I had a dog get hurt last night,she's fine now, but between looking after her and foal watch I got no sleep and I'm worse(worrying) today for it, I'll get over it by tomorrow. Maybe she'll foal tonight! 😃
How's Flicka doing?

Milk consistency can change fast, so keep an eye on it. Are you testing her milk for pH?
I really hope you can get some sleep ! And I REALLY hope tonight's the night !

Flicka is doing great. She's happy to be with her friends and is really getting friendly with Mulan. I often see them doing mutual grooming. She still has conflicts (nothing major) from time to time with Nougat, but really it's not her fault. Nougat is a bossy girl. ;)

Yes, I'm testing, so far her pH is staying at 8/9.
That's great Flicka's doing well. Are you recovering? Have you decided if you're going to try for another baby next year? It's so hard after what you went through....

Back