Could I get some opinions please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She has absolutely nothing going on tonight. She had a bit more fill in her teats this morning but she's back to none tonight. I'm pretty sure I did feel the foal tonight though, it's just very gentle. She spent about 1/2 hour last night pacing, swishing her tail, scratching/rubbing everything but her bum and rolled a couple of times. I looked back on her last foal and she had a small udder and her belly had popped on Feb. 20 and she foaled on March 17. I think I'm looking at a May baby.....?????

Question about pH strips. From what I've read it's the colostrum that tests low. If they don't get an udder, or much of one, but there is some fluid to test, is the fluid that's being tested close to foaling colostrum? Does that rambling sentence even make sense to anyone?

Makes absolute sense to me, but then again, we are both sleep deprived! I don't have an answer for you as you know already, I ordered test strips and have had zero luck getting close to that udder! I guess for now I'd say it can't hurt to try! (unless she's irritable like Snickers!). It seems your Izzy is much sweeter ;)

Reactions: Taz
Question about pH strips. From what I've read it's the colostrum that tests low. If they don't get an udder, or much of one, but there is some fluid to test, is the fluid that's being tested close to foaling colostrum? Does that rambling sentence even make sense to anyone?

Yes it makes sense! You’re correct that colostrum will test low. Ph strips should still catch the drop in ph has colostrum comes in. I haven’t actually tested ones that had no udder but I think I may with my mare this year. She has virtually nothing going on and I know she did not get a large udder with her last foal.

Yes it makes sense! You’re correct that colostrum will test low. Ph strips should still catch the drop in ph has colostrum comes in. I haven’t actually tested ones that had no udder but I think I may with my mare this year. She has virtually nothing going on and I know she did not get a large udder with her last foal.
Great, I'm using that to have an idea if I need to go to high alert since she's giving me absolutely nothing else 🤦‍♀️

Makes absolute sense to me, but then again, we are both sleep deprived! I don't have an answer for you as you know already, I ordered test strips and have had zero luck getting close to that udder! I guess for now I'd say it can't hurt to try! (unless she's irritable like Snickers!). It seems your Izzy is much sweeter ;)
I don't think it has anything to do with Snickers not being sweet, she just needs to learn she can trust you completely, she's come a long way. I have one I wouldn't be able to test who's been here almost 2 years and is super sweet but still doesn't trust but she's getting better. Izzy has been here 4 years. She really came around after she had her colt 3 years ago and realized even though I was handling him every day and carrying him to and from turn out I never hurt/scared him or took him away. It took her about 3 days of that and she let her guard down all the way. The same thing happened with Tilly last year. I'm hoping Snickers will figure that out too with you spending time with her foal. She might not have a cuddly personality, most mares don't, but stop being on guard around you. Hope you got a good nap today!!!!

Day 339 and still not really showing anything. Another 15 days and she'll be where she had her last colt. Lots of cow kicking, tail swishing and scratching. I'm 99% sure she is in foal but I'm reserving the 1% to be wrong. I really hope she gets it together after foaling and has an udder. No really noticeable changes in her belly either 🤦‍♀️
20210330_182802 (1).jpg April 1
20210408_183730 (1).jpg April 8
20210420_075252.jpg April 20

I have a question. elizabeth.conder said something about when a mare is getting close she might lift her belly when you touch it. I was patting Izzy last night and when I ran my hand gently along her side/belly front to back she lifted that side of her belly up a couple of inches. Is that what you were talking about or was I just bothering her?

I have a question. elizabeth.conder said something about when a mare is getting close she might lift her belly when you touch it. I was patting Izzy last night and when I ran my hand gently along her side/belly front to back she lifted that side of her belly up a couple of inches. Is that what you were talking about or was I just bothering her?

It could be. It looks like when a mare lifts for the foal to nurse. I know you’ve seen them do that so you’ll know what it looks like. Not all do it. But I use it in addition to other signs that they are getting close. Ryan, it’s not a typical belly lift. They do it once they get close enough that they instinctively lift when they sense something there in anticipation of foals nursing. I’ve never seen any but my pregnant mares do it at the end haha.

It could be. It looks like when a mare lifts for the foal to nurse. I know you’ve seen them do that so you’ll know what it looks like. Not all do it. But I use it in addition to other signs that they are getting close. Ryan, it’s not a typical belly lift. They do it once they get close enough that they instinctively lift when they sense something there in anticipation of foals nursing. I’ve never seen any but my pregnant mares do it at the end haha.

Ill be checking this out late sept :)

I've actually never seen her do it for her foal, she would cock the opposite leg to let him nurse, or possibly she did and I just never saw it. looks the same right down to the 'what are you doing? Leave me alone' at the end.

Definitely looks just like in your video, I did it your way instead of what I did accidentally. Her hardness has been up and down but has been going down for a day then back up for a day rinse and repeat for a few times now instead of up for a day down for a week, just checking what it's doing not diluting. pH is still 8/9. I was really hoping she would be the same as last time but no.....mares!

Day 345. Absolutely nothing to report. I'm still solidly in the she IS is foal camp but I think she was being REALLY nice to the newby last time, I'd be thrilled if she'd give me the small hints she did then. I'm checking her every hour at night and have her in a paddock that's easy to see from the barn and house. I'll switch to half hour checks in a few days but it would be so nice to have a baby before I do that for who knows how many nights. I've asked her for even a little hint but she's not giving anything up. I'm starting to whine, that's never a good sign. Where do they put the baby anyway when they don't show?!?

Last edited:
Just have to vent a bit....or maybe that's whine. She's still giving me nothing to go on. The camera had a break down last night and went on and off all night so I got almost no sleep so I could check her when it decided to work. It's day 348 and I've been doing hourly checks at night, that's probably going to change to 1/2 hour checks by day 350. I hate foal watch! She better really be in foal after all of this!!!! Thanks....

This is great, she gave you nothing last year , so I hope shes following the same pattern :) ( sorry prob not funny when your sleep deprived)

To answer your question two posts up......... When a mare hardly "shows" (and its usually maiden mares, so yours is EXTRA special) the mare is carrying the foal higher up in the rib cage, so its less visible.

This is great, she gave you nothing last year , so I hope shes following the same pattern :) ( sorry prob not funny when your sleep deprived)

To answer your question two posts up......... When a mare hardly "shows" (and its usually maiden mares, so yours is EXTRA special) the mare is carrying the foal higher up in the rib cage, so its less visible.
Hahahaha!! Probably funnier when I'm sleep deprived.

Latest posts

Back