Could I get some opinions please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read at several places that some foal are very quiet... and that they get even quieter as space gets tighter.
Your description of her udder sounds a bit like what my mare was going through the last few weeks (the last month). I did not have time to update Flicka's thread since last time, but she is now seriously building up an udder and she's less than a month away from her due date. From what I've been reading, it's normal for the bag to be fuller in mornings and then less full in the evenings. As the time gets very close to her due date, the bag will stay full day and night.

But otherwise, I don't know. The best way to be sure would be an ultrasound, but I know that sometimes it's hard to find a vet who will do minis... :(

I do hope that things will turn out for the good for you and your mare... :)

I just read the part of your post where you say about your mare not wanting to roll on her side... My mare does the same... and I can see the foal bulge out on her side. Except my mare is at her 10th month, so the foal is much bigger than at 8 months, so maybe you can't see it yet... (if I understand well, you mare is at month 8, right?).

Thanks JFNM miniatures, that's what I've been thinking right down to the ultrasound but I don't have anyone here who wants to do one on a mini. Her 140 day due date is April 23, it won't kill me to wait and see I'd just rather not ;).
It sounds like Flicka is getting close, that's so exciting!! Is this your first foal? You're going to want more, they are unbelievable to be around.

Last edited:
Yes, it is my first foal, and I already think I want more... ;)
For now, I'm concentrating on Flicka and the coming foal. I take one thing at a time and do my best to BREATHE! :)

The provincial vet school is not too far from my place... they came to do the internal ultrasound on Flicka back in July 2020, although they had to take a different ultrasound machine than usual.

But I totally sympathize with you not having anyone who wants to do it... My regular vet doesn't do minis... she had to refer me to the vet school.

BTW, I know some vets will do external ultrasounds on minis... maybe that could be an option. They can see a foal when he is 5 months old and up... if your mare is due for soon, then your vet could be able to see something. Just an idea... maybe you already thought about it.

Last edited:
Thanks JFNM miniatures, that's what I've been thinking right down to the ultrasound but I don't have anyone here who wants to do one on a mini. Her 140 day due date is April 23, it won't kill me to wait and see I'd just rather not ;).
It sounds like Flicka is getting close, that's so exciting!! Is this your first foal? You're going to want more, they are unbelievable to be around.

I am guessing you mean 340...Do you have an average day that she foals on? Remember minis go earlier than full-sized on average and 342 is the full-sized average for foaling while minis average 320-330 and really ought to be watched by day 300. A good friend had one at 298 this year and thankfully, we were already watching her.

Oops, yes 340 day. She's only had one with me before and it was on 354. She was experienced before me but I have no way of getting any info on what she did then. Yes, watching, she's at 319 today.

perfect! I figured as much but wanted to confirm lol. I guess you’ll find out sooner or later.

Your mare is getting close, at 319. Usually that means the foal is going into foaling position and doesn't have as much room to move around in. If a foal is OVERLY active in the last trimester, I worry because something is stressing it. At least that's what my experience has been. Oh, just was wondering, Taz..... Is your mare is a bit long bodied and/or wide hipped? Our girls who are, often have more room inside, so you don't always see the foal kicking.

Oh I see Jumper is still a stud and you have 3 girls. I see more babies in your future 😊. How are you doing with foaling nerves?

Yes for more foals in the future !!!! However, the two other girls haven't had any foals yet and I am a bit nervous about having pregnant maiden mares... So I'm waiting to see how things turn out for Flicka before taking a decision.

I was very nervous lately about dystocias and red bags, but I printed out two full articles on those topics (with instructions on how to correct positions). Every evening I read about one different dytocia and learn the procedures for that specific position by heart. I watched LOTS of foaling videos which have helped a lot.

So for now, I'm ok, but we'll see... I have this feeling that pretty soon, things are going to get exciting !

I finally felt the foal tonight, happy dance!!
I have a couple of pictures but they don't show anything. She did this last time, no one thought she was in foal until her belly 'popped' 3 weeks before foaling. I'll post them tomorrow anyway so there's something here to compare to later.

Going by what she did last time she will get a small udder a week or two before foaling and her belly will go from nothing to huge overnight (3 weeks before last time). The only change after that was two days before her udder stopped going down during the day. Never had any elongation. So far she's following mostly the same pattern. Here are pictures from March 30th pm. She's barely passing the rib test, that's not a tiny baby belly.
20210330_182626.jpg20210330_182802.jpg

On a slightly different subject. Dad is a black pintaloosa, mom black/dark bay, both carry red. When I do the colour calculator it comes back with a chance of solid or pintaloosa. How does that work? I thought a pintaloosa would only throw pinto or appy. I'm guessing it's not as simple as he just has those two colour options to throw? I know pinto is dominant, is appy?

Last edited:
Pinto is not dominant unless the sire or dam is homozygous. So you have a 50/50 chance for each of the genes responsible. Assuming none are homozygous you can get a pinto, appaloosa, pintaloosa, or solid. Depends on exact genetics and what they carry.

Latest posts

Back