Could I get some opinions please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I'm putting this all in one place and then you can tell me what you think.....PLEASE!!
Last foal, and only one with me:
---foaled at 354 days
---didn't show at all until 4 weeks before foaling then was huge overnight, didn't looked dropped or slab sided even when in labor
---had about a 1/3 of an udder 4 weeks before foaling, didn't go down during the day for 2 days, foaled on the second day
---could feel definite foal movement every few days but not very active
---had 'trial runs' complete with a couple contractions for at least 2 weeks before foaling
---bum rubbing and tail swishing on and off at night, nothing during the day
---didn't test pH
This foal
---have felt foal movement once where both sides banged out at the same time, only quiet maybes a few other times
---got a small belly(1/2 the size or a bit less from last time) 4 weeks ago, looks lower and goes back and forth between round and pointy(v'd?)
---no udder, just some fill in her teats that had increased a couple days ago and has gone away as of yesterday
---very itchy all the time, all over not just her bum
---some bum pushing at night, will sit on the wall to doze
---tail swishing all the time
---biting at her belly sometimes at night
---doesn't want to lie on her side to sleep, fights it till she falls over from being on her chest after a couple of nights
---378 days, I didn't get the breed date wrong
---belly has been over to one side a few times and has stayed for over 12 hours some time
---skim milk, tests 8-9 pH, hardness has gone from 250 to 450 undiluted and staying there for a few weeks, went up to 700 or so for 1 day then back to 450

So, am I insane to think she's in foal? I don't expect her to be the same as last time, but it would have been nice. I'm sure I've missed some things, please ask. I keep going to she's just fat and has lice, which would let me sleep again....

Last edited:
Thinking
Ok, I'm putting this all in one place and then you can tell me what you think.....PLEASE!!
Last foal, and only one with me:
---foaled at 354 days
---didn't show at all until 4 weeks before foaling then was huge overnight, didn't looked dropped or slab sided even when in labor
---had about a 1/3 of an udder 4 weeks before foaling, didn't go down during the day for 2 days, foaled on the second day
---could feel definite foal movement every few days but not very active
---had 'trial runs' complete with a couple contractions for at least 2 weeks before foaling
---bum rubbing and tail swishing on and off at night, nothing during the day
---didn't test pH
This foal
---have felt foal movement once where both sides banged out at the same time, only quiet maybes a few other times
---got a small belly(1/2 the size or a bit less from last time) 4 weeks ago, looks lower and goes back and forth between round and pointy(v'd?)
---no udder, just some fill in her teats that had increased a couple days ago and has gone away as of yesterday
---very itchy all the time, all over not just her bum
---some bum pushing at night, will sit on the wall to doze
---tail swishing all the time
---biting at her belly sometimes at night
---doesn't want to lie on her side to sleep, fights it till she falls over from being on her chest after a couple of nights
---378 days, I didn't get the breed date wrong
---belly has been over to one side a few times and has stayed for over 12 hours some time
---skim milk, tests 8-9 pH, hardness has gone from 250 to 450 undiluted and staying there for a few weeks, went up to 700 or so for 1 day then back to 450

So, am I insane to think she's in foal? I do't expect her to be the same as last time, but it would have been nice. I'm sure I've missed some things, please ask. I keep going to she's just fat and has lice, which would let me sleep again....
[/Q

Taz, does she avoid shaking her belly and shakes only her neck ? I know it may be considered to be an old saying, but it was true with Flicka..

She shakes her whole body, did last time too though....

I'll add her tail is going more/faster as of last night. Her 'udder' feels like it's trying to come back this morning.

Last edited:
She shakes her whole body, did last time too though....

I'll add her tail is going more/faster as of last night. Her 'udder' feels like it's trying to come back this morning.

Hmm. Well, I do have to say that the last picture you posted, from your cam, she really looks like she has a v'd. Even Flicka did not have such a visible drop that could be seen that far. But I'm not the most experienced here.... 😕

Edited to add, I was wondering, when you say her tail is going more/faster as of last night, do you mean she did even more tail switching than usual ?

Also, how is her hind end ? Is is loose or "jello" like ? How did that aspect look before her last foaling ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Taz
Yes, I mean she has been swishing more. Last time she didn't elongate or soften at all. She gives very few indicators 😖 I'm not sure if there is anything else that would make a belly lopsided or make that v but ?????

Looking at the photos you posted on the 22/5, she looks pregnant, shes a little lopsided.

What I do want to say is that when a foal "drops" into position for delivery ( this is when the "V" shape is noticeable ) this is the position that the foal stays in until delivery . During all the years we have bred ( and Ill be honest its mainly TBs) I have never seen a mare "V" , then return to being a wide load. Someone correct me if they have noticed differently.
Taz Im still cheering for ya :):):)

I have no idea.....
Even when she's looked dropped or v'd she is still a wide load. 🤷‍♀️ Maybe I'm not seeing her dropped, I don't know anymore. I'm just trying to survive waiting it out and see.

Last edited:
Before I went to 'sleep' she was pacing and rubbing then pacing some more, didn't turn into anything. She came in with her 'not udder' still up but she's done that for 2 days before then back down again during the day. Watching and hoping soon, I still think in foal, too stubborn not too.

I'm going crazy!!
Her 'not udder' hasn't gone down for 2 days now, done that before though so I'm not very excited about it. It is much harder though, I don't know if that means anything? She's still itchy everywhere but is rubbing her bum more than anywhere else now and doing almost as much pushing as rubbing as of last night. 383 days 🤦‍♀️ 🤷‍♀️

Nothing. She barely scratched anywhere and I didn't see her scratch her bum at all, almost no tail swishing. I'll try to get some pictures.

Thinking of you. I am also in a waiting game, but have begun to see some changes to the udder.

Reactions: Taz

Latest posts

Back