coughing horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kira98

Reaction score
Okay this has to do with my big guy in my avatar. The thing is he just started this a few days ago and im totally puzzled by it.

Only when he is eatting his grain ( Right now hes eatting Equine Sr and has been for the past year now - I have a reason for that -so please no flames on my feeding practices! but hes getting switched over by the end of next week to Progressive feeds & fat supp)

Anyway have never had a problem with anything when he eats at all just that he is very impatient and he takes big bites and flings the bucket around etc... He is very noisy
wacko.gif
and it makes for not so plesent dinner at the barn !

Anyway he just started coughing while he eats and only when he eats just here in the past 4 days or so like Id say this past Monday. I watched him for a while and felt his throat but nothing no bumps lumps or blocks etc... has no problem breathing at all just coughs a few times here and there

only when he is eating.
wacko.gif

Do you think its possible that hes just taking to big of bites ????? and anybody have a suggestion on what I can do to help slow him down? thanks in advance for all the replies this is just buggin me that he just started doin this and its only when he is eating his grain

Last edited by a moderator:
To slow him down, you can put rocks in his bucket, so he has to eat around them. Of course, make sure they are big enough that he can't eat them by mistake. When we first got our QH mare, we were keeping them in a place that had a long trough for hay in her stall, as well as a feed tub. We would spread her feed out all the way down the trough, and put some in the actually feed tub. It took her more time that way. If he really is "inhaling" his feed, he is at risk for choke. Our mare eventually quit doing it. She does like to fling her tub around, though.

You can use a salt brick also to help slow him down. If he doesnt slow up and stop the coughing, I would bring him to the Vet, just in case.

The large rocks or a small salt brick in feed pan are often the ticket.....

Make sure, though, that he doesn't need teeth work done too.

MA

MA took my answer. I would have his teeth checked.

My very old mare w/very few teeth coughs sometimes when she eats, and she quids pretty badly also.

Maybe something in the grain is dusty or irritating his airway if it's dry. Try dampening the feed to see if that changes it.

Any other symptoms? Fever?

Liz M.

I haven't read your answers yet but good fist sized rocks in his feed pan will slow him down. Also I suggest a corner feeder that has more room and height. Having his teeth evaluated may also be of help.

Nope no other symptoms ! I think that I will try the block and wetting his feed down. Now that I think about it I do need to have his teeth done ( man where did the time go they where just done
wacko.gif
)

Might just be the dust it has been rather dry at my place so Think to start I will wet down his feed and then call the teeth dr. ! ( i use a seperate guy for doin my teeth thats all he does and hes real good ! )

Thanks again for your replies will let y'all know if he gets better or what not

If you use the block be sure so soften the points or he could hurt his mouth. One reason I like the round softer rocks. Let us know how he makes out. It has been VERY dry and dusty here also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try letting him eat his grain wetted down. That may help also. If what has been suggested doesn't work, I'd check with the Vet. Could be a heave problem coming on or a teeth problem.

Joyce

Fist sized rocks will slow him down. Though I have had horses chew on rocks or rub their teeth on the rocks.

Avoid using salt blocks because then suddenly you have a horse no longer getting free choice salt. It will break up and he will end up with too much salt in his diet. Also the salt will absorb the grain flavor and the horse will begin to eat the salt.

Another alternative which worked for a weanling I had that bolted grain was to use a big feed pan. The grain got so spread out in the pan he was unable to get a big enough bite of grain to choke.

Latest posts

Back