cortisone acitate antibiotic steroid(neobacimyx-H)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suz

Reaction score
My guy had drippy eye for about a couple weeks. I took him to the vet where he was given Neobacimyx-H (ointment with bacitracin, neomycin, polymyxin and hydrocortisone acetate) and was told to put it in his eye twice a day for 3 days.

He did poke something in his eye I guess causing him to have a corneal abrasion the vet said.

vet did the green stain and said that is healing on it's own now, but he has a conjunctivitis.

so... my question is..... someone at the barn said that you have to gradually come off of any ointment steroids and not to stop cold turkey like the vet said.

also I read on here somewhere (I think) that steroids are not to be used in an injured eye.

what would you guys do in this situation? Continue like the vet says or otherwise? He has had this medication put in his eye 4 times already so far.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
1. You do not have to taper off topical, ophthalmic, or otic preparations that contain steroids (ie skin, eye, and ear). I DO taper off oral meds in most cases.

2. NEVER use medication in an eye with a corneal abrasion or ulcer that contains steroids. Steroids stabilize cell membranes and will prevent the defect or ulcer from healing over. They can--and do--cause some ulcers to go into "overdrive" and make them much worse much faster, to the point of rupturing the cornea. I had this happen in a kitten--her neighbor gave her medicine for those gooey eyes because it had worked on HER kittten.

3. Which leads me to: don't use someones else's medicine.

I'm sure I'll think of more--need more coffee. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

I'd get a second vet's opinion.

If there is a corneal abrasion present, the steroid will cause harm.

Did he stain the eye and look in with opthalmascope?

The eye needs to be stained and this will allow the vet to examine the extent of the corneal injury. Steroids are contraindicated if a corneal abrasion is present.

I had a 27 yr old Arab, Was highly alergic to Histamines. He got a Florida sore in his eye,( and had 46 sores all over his body) and used an eye ointment, but non steriod. The vets said never to use steroids in the eye. Took about 5 weeks to clear him up...

Every vet I have ever used emphasizes emphatically that eye injuries are considered emergencies and should rarely be self-treated for exactly the questions you have raised. Triple antibiotic ophthalmic ointments are considered safe for most eye conditions as the first drug of choice. In my experience, antibiotics plus a steroid is only prescribed after close examination to ensure there are NO corneal abrasions as the steroid can actually impede healing and can sometimes cause cloudiness of the eye.

That being said, I am not a vet, and since your vet Rx'd this medication for your horse's condition, who am I to question it? A plain conjunctivitis, however, generally responds very quickly to appropriate medication and even shallow corneal abrasions tend to heal quickly with proper treatment. If your horse's eye is still symptomatic after several days of treatment with the current medication, I'd be having another conversation with your vet or seeking a second opinion.

Good luck. I hope he is on the mend soon.

Robin C

OK, re read your post.

The medicine he gave me IS NOT what I would use for any eye with a corneal sore (you got lucky) but it should work fine for conjunctivitis as long as the cornea has healed. I will go as long as 7 days when treating conjunctivitis. I get periodic outbreaks of conjunctivitis especially in fly season, and for many of them simply braiding up their forlock, cleaning out the eyes and one or two doses of medicine is all they need. Keeping that forlock out of their eyes is key--or you can use a fly mask (as long as you check and clean 1-2 times daily)

Wow, you guys all type fast!
biggrin.gif

since your vet Rx'd this medication for your horse's condition, who am I to question it?
OK, I WILL!!!

I wasn't going to be so plain, but since you brought it up--get another opinion!! This sounds wrong, but I wasn't there. Maybe he grabbed the wrong tube? forgot his reading glasses? had a brain fart?

Another thought while we're on eyes--some horses are allergic to either the carrier medicine is in, especially ointments, or can be allergic to specific ingredients. If an eye has shown no response in 48 hours or is getting worse, stop immediately and call your vet. (That is NOT to say it will be 100% in 48 hours, but you should be seein improvement. I have had eyes that took 3-4 weeks to heal, but that's unusual, and often due to something weird)

thanks for everybody's replies
yes.gif

yes, he did the green stain and looked into the eye with some little instrument.

and he said the abrasion has started healing on it's own, as the abrasion did not take the green stain.

I'm a little worried about this steroid stuff and making the problem worse

I did trim his forelock this morning, as it was long and into his eyes. I also rub a little fly spray around his eyes. He refuses to wear his fly mask. in fact, the dr. said maybe that's what scratched his cornea if he was trying to rub the mask off, which, he indeed did. (had to go retrieve it from the pasture).

So, I guess it sounds like I should continue with this stuff, twice a day, until Monday morning, which will be three days?

It does seem to stop the running pretty well, but he still has some white goopy stuff in the corner of his eye.

Vet also said if this doesn't clear it up, he will have to anesthitize him so he can see deeper into the eye, as he was moving his head around too much for the vet to get a really good look I guess. I DONT"t want to have to go that route...

could it be that his nasal ducts are clogged? I've read about that and that causes tearing.

Oh, and his eye is not swollen shut, it looks to be open as normal, just tearing and goopy...

If he did in fact examine the eye under stain and said that the abrasion was healed and no longer a risk, then YES you could use that steroid in the eye.

I too am wondering if he doesn't just need his lacrimal ducts flushed? Is it as dusty where you are as it is here in Texas?

Lauralee said:
I too am wondering if he doesn't just need his lacrimal ducts flushed?  Is it as dusty where you are as it is here in Texas?
442745[/snapback]

yes, VERY dusty and dry...

my vet never suggested that either...

I have just gone through this (Eh Dr Pam?).

Never use steroids on an abrasion, ever. Ointments are nice but I find the Genticin NON STEROIDAL drops superb (as per my previous experiences and Dr Pam's advice). Admin drops 3xdaily, if both eyes use 2 different bottles and label them LEFT/Right. Use rubber gloves and change them with EACH eye. Use lots of cookies to get her to stand quiet.

Bed in soft straw, no shavings or sawdust, and do buy a good flymask. I bought the Pony/foal size for regular horses then cut the velcro, sewed more on closer and it fit superbly. I have fought this fight for 4 weeks and she is perfect now. No thanks to my vet. JMHO

The sun is very uncomfortable for eye troubled minis. I was told to keep her in but she was very nuts about that so I found the fly mask, very dark, served like sunglasses and kept the flies off the eyes thusly helping not to spread the germs.

Latest posts

Back