Quantcast

Corrective trimming question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Windhaven

Reaction score
Hello

For those that know a little about corrective trimming. For a cow hocked horse, how would you trim their feet?

Also anybody that would like to give me their honest opinion on a horse, please e-mail me.

marcy@windhavenfarm.com

Minimor

Reaction score
For cowhocks you lower the outside of the hoof to straighten the foot/legs. However.....how old is the horse that you want to correct?

Corrective trimming can make quite a difference on foals & even yearlings. Once the horse is 18 months old, though, success is more limited--I wouldn't even do much corrective trimming on one that's over 18 months. On one that is 2 years or older I won't run a correction at all, because by then the bones are set & any correction will just put strain on the joints--by that age what you've got is what you've got, and the horse should just be trimmed to land flat.

Windhaven

Reaction score
Thank you Minimor. That is what I thought. Also the horse that is in question, is going to be a year old in July, but seeing how he is developing I question whether or not he will straighten.

MiLo Minis

Reaction score
If he is only a yearling you may be surprised at how much he straightens up once he matures and puts some muscle between those legs.

JourneysEnd

Reaction score
For cowhocks you lower the outside of the hoof to straighten the foot/legs. However.....how old is the horse that you want to correct?

Corrective trimming can make quite a difference on foals & even yearlings. Once the horse is 18 months old, though, success is more limited--I wouldn't even do much corrective trimming on one that's over 18 months. On one that is 2 years or older I won't run a correction at all, because by then the bones are set & any correction will just put strain on the joints--by that age what you've got is what you've got, and the horse should just be trimmed to land flat.
Okay, I'm impressed. Minimor, are you a farrier ?

Only thing I would add is, is the horse actually "cow hocked" or is it toeing out ? A lot of time in foals just strenghtening the muscles will straighten the leg up. A mineral supplement with the correct amino acids will help.

Latest posts