Corona

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, Parmela!!! I am so very sorry to read this post! I admire your resolve to make everything as right as possible but I can imagine the heart break. I am just so sorry
default_sad.png
:(
default_sad.png

Oh my--I'm just reading this post, Parmela. What a sad situation, what a tough decision. I can't imagine.

But, I also feel as Lisa does:

I am so impressed with your honesty and integrity. You are without a doubt a breeder who walks the walk and I (along with many others I am sure) would never hesitate to purchase a horse from a breeder with such ethics.
I'm just so sorry you had to go through this.

Oh my gosh! I don't know what to say. I know your heart is broken, my heart is broken for you.

I guess there is no question this mare was bred to your stallion, or that it truely does take two dwarf genes one from each parent to produce a dwarf? Have you talked to John?

Bless you Parmela, I have tears in my eyes.

Beth

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, gosh, I am SO sorry about this. Life is so unfair. I commend your courage in posting your experience here - you can't know how many others you might help. I sure hope that dwarf test gets here soon!!!

I am also awaiting our stallion's first foals and have been wondering about breeding another mare before I see what he can produce.

Parmela I just wanted to add my condolences for your disappointment and express my admiration for your actions. I totally agree with whoever it was that said you walk the walk and that you're a breeder who displays the integrity most of us hope to find when we shop. (((HUGS)))

So sorry for your heart break... Gelding him is a wise choice and like everyone has said he will still be the boy you love just not a sire for your foals. Goodluck and am hoping for a safe gelding for him... Take care, Alicia

This is a terrible thing you are going through. My first thought was "Are you sure it was his fault?". But then I kept reading. I don't know much about dwarfism. Is it true that both parents have to contribute the gene for it to show?

Such a terrible thing. I'm so sorry!
default_no.gif

So sorry you had to experience this Parmela...it's a terrible thing that we sometimes have to go through when breeding minis, until there is testing available, and I can't wait to see that day!!

Also sending my condolences to you Parmela.

Corona will make an awesome gelding and can continue his show career as a top all around show horse.

default_firstprize.gif

Like the other posters before me I want to extend my sympathy. I salute you, it is a heartbreaking thing to be a breeder when things don't go perfectly. I hope your ethical stand is contagious and others follow your lead when they find themselves in the same situation.

im so sorry to hear this news, my heart goes out to you all,

the exact same thing happened to me,

i still have the dwarf, i gelded the stallion as well,

i wanted to use him on my mare that had never had a foal either,

and when i realised they both had

created a dwarf i was devastated.....

i gelded him, and never bred again,
default_no.gif

I admire you for this. I really, truly do.

So many people say this is what they'd do, and so few people would have the guts to actually follow through with it.

I hope your integrity is repaid.

Thank you all. I'm starting to accept what has happened. He's still being gelded on Friday, but I no longer cry everytime I feed or water him. Small steps.

A little bit more background that may be helpful to someone in the future. The foal was less than 13" at the withers. As you can see from the picture I'm posting her head was obviously deformed. The length of her head was greater than the length of her neck. Her legs weren't terribly deformed, but not normal either. Her back was rounded or "roached" a bit and probably would have been more pronounced as she aged. I believe she was a Type 3 dwarf which is the most severe that is ever born alive and can sometimes live. When she passed I wish we would have thought about John and his research but it just didn't cross my mind.

As for Corona, I have an email from John Eberth from late 2007 where he says that, to his knowledge (at the time), Sids Husker was not known to have produced a dwarf. Nor was Corona's dam. He states that if Corona ever were to produce one it would be "important." I never asked him what he specifically meant by that.

I've informed John about this, including the dam's info with permission from her owner. We are having blood collected from both Corona and the dam for John to use as he wishes. Not to get too detailed, but we may also be able to still get a tissue sample from the foal, but that's not for sure yet. Sorry if that was too much information.

Here is the only picture I can share of her. The others have the dam and/or other identifying information.

coronasdwarffilly1.jpg

I had a little stallion I had high hopes for, never showed him like you did yours, but thought he was just the best. I waited till he was 4 to use him in breeding and gave him 2 mares the first year. One aborted early and the other gave me a type 1 dwarf colt.

I was really sad, but the good news is..he is still here and even BETTER now that he is gelded...he is my 7 yr. old grand-daughters show mini and he is sooo good with her. He will always have a home here. I know its disappointing when they cannot reproduce, but sometimes its the other jobs that they fill that make them so special!!
default_wub.png

I am so so sorry parmela, i have to admire and applaud you for your decision. I know it is hard to find a light at the end of the tunnel..but this will open up a whole new path for Corona to take on as a show gelding..i can see the national neck sash around his neck already...

Hey Parmela! I just wanted to say how sorry I am for this. I know how truely special Corona was to you. He should still be :) Thank God we have breeders like you though that care more about the horses then the money!
default_wub.png

Corona was gelded today. It was very hard for me, but now it's over and I can move on.

he will b a good gelding

i have had a BEUTIFUL FILLY AND A DWARF-MINIMAL- from the same exact parents. i dont know why....

Parmela
love0075.gif

I know this was very, very hard. I hope the silver lining is that you will love Corona even more as a gelding. At the end of the day, it's our geldings that H and I are most attached to
love0034.gif

Back