Cooking frozen lobster tails?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
Hubby and I planned to go out for valentines day, but with our car still out of commission, it doesn't look like we'll be going anywhere. I figured I can just cook us a nice dinner (ugh, there will be dishes). Im getting a ride to the grocery store in a little bit and can pick up something there. Now, my predicament is I don't know what to make. Something that looks fancy, but doesn't require a huge amount of money, ingredients, or equipment to make. I was looking through my sale papers from stores, and the one store offers a "surf and turf" meal you make at home for $25. You get two nice steaks, and two frozen lobster tails. This sounds great, but I have never cooked lobster. I did a quick online search and it looks like you just boil the lobster tails. Is it actually that easy? Do they actually come out good? Any recipes, or tips? If I do make the surf and turf, any ideas for a side dish?

Lobster tails are easy. If they are frozen and already split, you can just broil them. I put foil on the broiler pan. I do the bottoms first, then the top and when they are close to done I put some butter on and broil longer. The meat is done when it is white. If they are not split yet, you can thaw them a bit, but not all the way, use a big knife and split down the part that is the outside, the red part, split them but not all the way through, open like a butterfly and broil. You can dip in melted butter... yum. Can do the steaks and lobster at the same time if you want under the broiler. I never boil my lobster tails. The broiled ones are terrific IMO. enjoy.

I would not BOIL them. I would BROIL them. Lobsters are BOILED when they kill them. Same with crabs, shrimp and crawdads. It was real funny when I went to Mississippi to visit my sister when she was pregnant. We thought it would be real good to go to the Pier and buy some live crab. Needless to say crabs went flying all over the kitchen and we had pizza for dinner. It was memorable. That was 37 years ago. But what a blast.

I went tonight and got everything for valentines dinner. Im going to make dinner tomorrow night since I go in to work sunday at 6pm. I'll make a special breakfast sunday morning. I went ahead and got the lobster tails, steaks, and we're going to have baked potatoes with it. I also got a chocolate lava cake for dessert, and depending on how Im feeling, I might make a marshmallow topping for it. If not it's fine as is, would just be a nice final touch to store bought dessert. Im going to Broil the lobster, Im borrowing my moms broiling pan in the morning. I dont have a lot of different pots and pans now that we moved, we have a wee tiny kitchen with not much storage. Im terrible, I just run around the block and borrow moms lol.

I don't know a thing about cooking seafood, but if you give me an idea of what you have in mind for a side dish, I'm sure I can run something down for you. I get Food Network mag and Bon Appetite, they are both wonderful. I keep them bookmarked on the pages with fun holiday recipes and/or things I'd like to try. We do "Top Chef" at work every Monday night, so I've been able to try some really cool recipes that weren't in my collection until they showed up at work and have had the chance to try out a few recipes that were kind of fun and different. For example, there are these cucumber finger sandwiches that are AMAZING for appetizers. mmmmm....great, now I'm hungry. lol

For the vegetable, do you know of anything with green beans? My hubby is not a great veggie eater, but will do green beans.

I ended up having about a meltdown tonight. I went to make my steak marinade which is equal parts coke, ketchup, and italian dressing, just to find the empty case of coke in the fridge. Now, I JUST bought two cases of coke, and personally have drank two cans. Not that I care how much he drinks, but I called from the store and asked if we had it and instead of looking, he just said yes.... Well, Ive had a bad week so when I went to make the marinade and the ingredients werent there I ended up crying for a half an hour, being on my toes for 4 hours, and even after taking a 1 mile walk with the dog, I dont feel much better. Actually walked to the local tiny store because although I knew they were closed, I thought they had a pop machine outside, but I was wrong. I told my hubby valentines day is canceled and Im ordering a Pizza. VEGGIE LOVES just to teach him a lesson. Gotta love pregnancy hormones. Of course my car is still broken down, so i cant go to the store to get any.

I ended up making the marinade without the coke. Probably wont come out right, but after the week Ive been having, I dont even care anymore.

Umm. . . not to add to your bad week, but as a pregnant woman, are you even supposed to have lobster?

I'd be more concerned about the Coke (caffeine).

Lobster is concidered a "medium mercury" food and one 6 ounce serving per week or less is considered safe.

I'll go check on the green bean recipes for you. As for the marinade, if you are out of Coke, beer does a nice job of it too. I know that the alcohol cooks out of it, but I'm not sure what the eating restrictions are on a pregnant woman. I cook my pot roast in Budweiser and it is awesome. Last year I did my corned beef in an Irish beer, though I can't remember which one I used and it was a huge hit with everyone down at work. I had not heard of marinating in soda until last week, so it's funny that you mentioned it here. Maybe I'll give that a go sometime.

I'm allowed to have seafood once a week, up to a 6oz serving. I haven't ate any type of fish my entire pregnancy, and the lobster tails are 4oz tails.

As far as the coke, my doctors said it is safe to consume up to 300mg of caffeine a day while pregnant. A can of coke has 35mg of caffeine. I normally dont drink soda, so I feel safe cooking with 1 can of it in a marinade.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a green bean recipe, I have a green bean casserole recipe that is amazing. You make your own mushroom soup to go with it. I get tons of compliments on it. I also have one for green beans marinara. I haven't tried the marinara one. Which sounds better?

Back