Contracted tendon and tail issue

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
A new(2days old) foal (full term) has a contracted tendon issue which we are dealing with splint and wraps. Only one foot is bad so hopefully there will be enough stretch in the tendon to allow foot to come forward.

Also, a "never seen before" tail situation exists. The tail is bent into a fairly tight "S" shape. When lightly massageing it to straighten it, the foal is in discomfort. Would lightly wrapping with "tensor" wrap help? Somebody out there has probably experienced this and can help with this abnormal tail. Thanks

The foal appears normal otherwise? For the tail I would suggest having a chiropractor look at him asap. His spine, hip or such might be out fo place causing pain and muscle spasm. I would be surprised if the tail itself is the problem but rather a symptom of some other problem.

Contracted tendons aren't unusual. If the foal isn't actually walking on a fetlock joint or such then it is best to leave it for a few days and see if time/exercise will correct the problem. splints and wraps often cause more trouble than they cure. If the tendons aren't fiarly normal in a couple of weeks the vet can give tetracycline IV which relaxes tendons.

do you have any pictures of the foal? This might help people on here to see what you are seeing and make suggestions.

Please keep us posted on your little one.

I would never bandage a tendon under those circumstances, sorry. Unless the horse cannot actually get it's foot to the floor I leave them alone. I agree that you need a chiropractor, I would not be at all surprised if the leg and the tail are not connected.

I personally would not wrap the tail with a tensor or any sort of bandage. By doing that you run the risk of causing circulation problems should you happen to wrap it too tightly or if it shifts and ends up putting too much pressure on some area of the tail. I would guess that the tail was trapped in this position during development--it may straight on its own given some time. There is the possibility that the tail bone is already fused/permanently shaped and will not straighten on it's own and if that is the case bandaging isn't going to help.

I have removed the wrap/splint from the foot. The foal is active and moves around, however, the one hoof is folded back and to the side.What kind of support would assist the proper alignment of muscle and tendon to strengthen?

Honestly I think you need a veterinarians input on this one, he may need a therapeutic glue on shoe or some other device to get him standing flat on the foot. I know it sounds impossible to put a shoe on one that small but I have had to do it before, sooner is better for best results. Pictures would be very helpful.

I would definitely consult a vet.I would also try some physical therapy several times a day.Gently using both hands stretch the foot into the proper position as much as possible and count to 10 slowly while holding the foot in the correct position.Do this at least 3 times each session. I have done this method on badly crocked knees and it worked to straighten the legs.It just might help your foal.As I said previously please check with your vet.good luck and keep us posted.

Here are a few pics. The vet is of the opinion that given the way the hoof folds back and sideways, not allowing weight to be gradually transferred to the bottom of the hoof, support will be necessary, ie cushion wrap/pvc pipe(1/3 cut away)/more cushion wrap. Any ideas that can help, will be appreciated.

http://sunriseminihorses.ca/hoof.htm

That looks like a contracted tendon to me, if exercise doesn't correct, you may need to consider surgery. Always follow your vets advice first, but I was told exercise for 10 every few hours, and then if not corrected, surgery. I've never encountered this myself, just what I was told by my vet several yrs. ago and things have improved since then. Good luck with this little one, sure is cute!

Does the joint actually allow you to manuver it in such a way as to splint it or is it fused in that position as if it is a congenital defect that occurred from being malpositioned in utero?

I would be inclined to get it X-rayed. If that is as bad as it looks then splinting it will cause a lot of discomfort, even pain, to the foal. If it is not as bad as it looks, and these things often aren't, I am still not sure splinting is going to help. I am not sure why Vets seem to always go for splinting, it so very rarely works.

Jane, you're right, I just looked it up in my Vet handbook, and it states not to splint, exercise or surgery. No explaination as to why not to splint, normally I would say go with your vet, but in this case, no. Maybe Dr. Taylor will chime here as he also breds the little ones, I'm sure he would have somthing good to say.

We had an Arab born with a similar foot- the Vet splinted, the owner was, of course, emotionally invested. It cost a great deal of money and the colt never got to run or play as he was kept stalled. At the end of it his leg was no better and when they finally X rayed he had one of the bones completely missing.

I really do not want to be pessimistic, I hope, truly, I am wrong, but when I think what that colt of ours must have gone through in his short life, I would really push for an X ray....

The joint just above the hoof is very lax , which allows the hoof to turn when there is no support. If weight could be put on the bottom of the hoof, the tendon should gradually extend and allow the foot to work itself to the correct position. (hopefully)

Our Monday morning filly (little 16" pinto) was worrying us. Nothing severe, but had we not known what we have learned recently, we'd have been pretty upset. Her front legs are lax, her backs up on her toes..we're keeping her in the barn area, and in a box stall until she is more sure footed, before we let her out around the other mom and baby..

Day 2 and she is much better, more coordinated and prancing around. still a little 'off' but quickly improving. When you consider all that can happen during gestation and birth, it's amazing things ever go right at all!

My best for your little one. What a beauty!!! I hope that foot heals in well and strong, and soon.

I would call that a contracted tendon. The problem is that the toe doesn't touch the ground, the front of the hoof wall does. If the toe doesn't touch then the tendon will not be stretched without help.

1) Either wraps or a glue on toe extension will allow the toe to touch. Personally I don't like wraps and only use them if they are working well. Most of the time they get bandage rubs and hurt the leg. I prefer toe extensions.

2) IV Oxytetracycline will behind calcium and relax the tendon/muscle. Usually 3 doses, every other day are given. It should be mixed with a bag of fluids and given through a catheter.

3) If all else fails, cutting the deep digital flexor tendon frequently helps. It should be done before skin on the ankle is damaged.

Dr Taylor

We had a filly born here once too that had contracted tendons. Scared the heck out of me, as it was the first I had ever seen here. (and thankfully the last!)

contractedbirth1.jpg

contractedbirth2.jpg

contractedbirth3.jpg

They were tucked back so much that she was not wearing the rubber soles from the bottoms of her hooves. That in itself seemed to make it worse, so I pulled the pads off, and even filed the heels a wee bit, and that helped a great deal. I did that on the same day as she was born.

contractedbirthafter.jpg

I found with this filly, that a little easy exercise was OK, but once she started to run too hard for too long, it would cause it to contract again. So I had to limit her running/exercise when I put them outside. I kept her in the stall when she could run limited or let her run up and down the aisle in the barn, but had to be a little more careful when I put her out that she did not overdo it.

Eventually, all was OK and by 10 weeks of age all was quite good.

contracted10weeks.jpg

I am not sure with your little one. She looks more severe, and that "twist" makes me wonder if there may be a deformity in that joint. And the way she is holding her tail in that photo, is that how it looks now still too?? Did the vet say anything about that??

Oh, I see Dr. Taylor has replied while I was gathering my pics to post. That is good...hopefully you'll find that to be helpful. Good Luck.

we had contracted tendons in the back legs above the hocks (locked at a right angle), vet treated with steriods every 48 hours with us manipulating the legs also antibiotics were given as this stripped calcium of the tendons allowing more manipulation, good luck

Just an observation from the past, saw a foal like this once before, the owners had actually fastened a spoon onto the foot, smashed out flat with part of the handle used as a trailer behind the heel and the spoon extending slightly beyond the toe...basically a home made magic shoe...that foal also corrected and was normal by the time it was 6 mths old.

Not suggesting you use a spoon but may want to look into a glue on shoe!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back