Contacting Prior Owners

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Flats

Reaction score
Have any of you ever contacted a prior owner (that you did not know) of one of your horses, not for registering purposes but just to find out the horses background? I'm trying to help my little guy with his issues and I see that he has had a few owners. The woman I purchased him from was not honest with me and I found out later was just a horse trader and has since gotten out of horses. I'd just like to know something about his history and their experiences with him.

Yes I have, in a few cases.
1--did not remember the mare at all. That was weird to me but people tell me that if I know the lady I would understand. I think she has had a lot of horses and she has hired help.

2--did not really understand why I was contacting him, and he really did not remember what he had done with the mare; his best guess was "nothing".

3--lady helped me get papers on my boys, though she had sold them to someone as weanlings and they had been through 3 owners when I got them.

Thanks for your reply Minimor. I'm thinking it is worth a try. I'll wait until after the 1st.

I was told he was trained as a roadster and that part I believe because he had to learn how to relax and walk when I got him home and first started driving him. He is a real sweetheart, not a mean bone in his body, but gets so anxious (and crazy a couple of times) if you take him anywhere, so I'm curious if he really went to shows and what they experienced with him.

Is he registered? AMHA Or AMHR? You can look up show wins for AMHR (assuming he won any Stakes classes--other placings would show up in a show record, which you have to pay for)

I was able to talk to his breeder today. She said the woman she sold him to rushed his training so she could get him to his first show and he wasn't ready and had a hard time and some other thoughts on his handling. She was able to give me some background on his parents, so it was a good call and she was happy to hear how he was doing. Sometimes a horse doesn't start out with the right person for them. He is really sensitive and it doesn't take much pressure with him at all.

Latest posts

Back