Consuelo foal watch

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Taz, going by her udder you have a little time yet. Saying this, she may not produce one until foaling , so best thing is keep watching her like a hawk.

Considering she is a rescue and your not too sure of her foaling pattern , your doing great :)

Keep us posted on her progress & ask away any questions you have !

I hate to tell you this but she looks like you're going to be waiting a bit more, going by the book. Could you take a picture of her from behind? Since you have might have time you could order some Maybe Baby test strips, they are really easy to read. Are you able to lock her in at night so you can keep watch without her disappearing? You should be close if she was bred in Sept. Unfortunately they do what they do no matter what the book says, they can surprise you and have that foal even when they don't look ready. Hang in there!
Basically no help at all, watch her closely. wishing you the best for a healthy momma and baby soon!!
I think you are right about waiting a bit more.
I agree with Taz, going by her udder you have a little time yet. Saying this, she may not produce one until foaling , so best thing is keep watching her like a hawk.

Considering she is a rescue and your not too sure of her foaling pattern , your doing great :)

Keep us posted on her progress & ask away any questions you have !
I find this group to be a sanity saver. The men in my house are teasing me that my little horse is not pregnant but overweight. I was beginning to wonder myself, until I learned last week that she was kept into September with the stallion. If her udder firms up and the PH test indicates that she is near to foaling, I will lock her in the barn for the night to better monitor. She initially would not go into a barn, but I began leaving her hay bag there. Now she uses it for her toilet and to eat- it is a big walk in built for two large horses to share. She is also picking the space right in front of the door to lie down in the straw, so she is more comfortable there than before.

Reactions: Taz
Agree with Taz, you know her better than anyone, so go with your gut feeling.

Seeing as though she was with the stud well into sept, she may not have taken until the end of their time together. Many pregnancies are going well over due dates too.

Agree with Taz, you know her better than anyone, so go with your gut feeling.

Seeing as though she was with the stud well into sept, she may not have taken until the end of their time together. Many pregnancies are going well over due dates too.
Here are two pics from behind and one of her udder this morning. She is definitely lop sided. It rained all through July and we got another 1/4 inch this morning. It has the look and feel of a temperate rain forest now in SE Massachusetts. Normally everything would be browning up.

Attachments

• Aug 13 belly 1.jpg
    Aug 13 belly 1.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Aug 13 belly .jpg
    Aug 13 belly .jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Aug 13 udder.jpg
    Aug 13 udder.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 7
That looks like a pregnant bally to me. 😀
We haven't had the rain for about a week now but it's hot and humid, definitely feeling like a rain forest here too.

Me too :)

Feel free to send some warmth down under, I am ready for spring !!!
After a very hot July with a record number of 100 degree days, I woke to low humidity and cool temps. More heat in store, but hopefully some of that heat went your way.

Your girl looks at about the same stage as mine (I think). Just realized a couple of weeks ago and I've had her over a year! But then again I have a stallion in my little herd (not for long, the little guy gets cut on the !st!). Pretty sure mine still has some time yet, but not taking chances...she's stalled in the evenings now and if my kiddo ever decides to help me re-hook up my cameras we'll be in business just in case! Watch her belly closely for a "V". I find taking pictures often helps to see changes than just relying on memory. Keep us updated please!

The vet came out today and confirmed what I suspected. Consuelo is not pregnant, just overweight, with all the fat concentrated in her belly. So I lost 5 months when I could have been getting her into shape, which really has me bummed. Not to mention all those dreams of a little broom tail foal to coddle. Not to mention that in order to rescue her from extreme neglect, I paid almost double for a "pregnant" mare. I thought I would be rescuing two at the same time. I will be hiring a trainer to help me with ground training, and looking for a used cart next year. Fortunately, she seems happy enough with the sheep and my very large dog, and shows no need for other equine companionship. I fostered a large pony last year who pined for another horse, and it was sad to watch.

OK my pity party is over and done with. She is otherwise healthy and has a very sweet and gentle personality. The vet approved of my leaving her loose on my 14 acre fenced farm so she has some free agency. We expect that once she begins to get some regular exercise, and she is no longer on pregnant mare rations, she will begin to drop the weight. Yesterday she had a case of pony zoomies, scattering the sheep and racing about for a good 20 minutes.

Thanks to those of you who gave me good advice and encouragement. Now I can delete all of those pony vulva and udder pictures from my camera, and maybe get a little more sleep.

I'm sorry she isn't pregnant, that's disappointing, you could always find her a boyfriend at some point if you want to. It's exciting about you getting her driving though and very exciting that you get to sleep!! I'm still waiting on a foal and wondering what the #### is going on, you might be the smarter one to be sleeping ;).

I'm sorry she isn't pregnant, that's disappointing, you could always find her a boyfriend at some point if you want to. It's exciting about you getting her driving though and very exciting that you get to sleep!! I'm still waiting on a foal and wondering what the ####

I feel your pain. Part of me is very disappointed, part of me is angry with the breeder who demanded more money for a pregnant mare, when she had 10 grandchildren in her care, and way too many horses to do any care at all. But I am letting that go. Life is too short. I will not be breeding Consuelo. She is registered, but there are already too many minis going to slaughter and I can't justify creating another one. Fortunately, she seems contented to have the sheep and my large dog, and hopefully she appreciates my attention from me too. I don't think she misses the struggle to survive in a crowded herd with few resources.

Reactions: Taz
I agree with you about the breeding, mine either have come that way as a rescue or, like the one this year, a big oops on my part, everyone is 100% gelding now. Most horses are fine with sheep, goats etc, they just want some company. I'm sure she's thrilled to be out of the situation you got her from and very happy to have your attention, lucky girl.

Latest posts

Back