Construction question from Jerry

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
We have been looking everywhere for "U" channels to make removable boards for our stalls now for 2 weeks and we cannot find them locally anywhere. We've called all the steel places.

Looks like we may have to order them and have them shipped.

The metal barn builders will not send us any because we didn't buy a barn from them.

Does anyone else have these in their barns?

The only other alternative is to make them from wood and we really don't want to have to do that unless we have to.

Got any ideas?

We do thank you.

Rather than wood--just another chew source, a good substitute is putting up 2 pieces of angle iron spaced the width of the lumber you'll be using. Some of it even comes with multiple holes so you can pick and choose where you want to attach it.

I bought my channel from our local steel supplier. Mine will accept two inch dressed lumber. Its a bit of overkill for minis but you can never tell I might just get another team of Belgiums or Percherons in my next life.

We've called all the steel places in the larger towns. Rats.

We're going for 2 X 10's or 2 X 12's.....

Marty - that's how we built our last two barns. Find a local welding facility and tell them what you want. That's how we got ours. Then they were the specs we wanted....not something off a shelf that might or might not work.

Good luck!!!! If you need someone down here, I can give you a phone number. We have some scraps laying around I could send as a sample. Or you could have them made down here and then come visit me to pick them up!!!!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

I bought mine from www.ag-co.com. They went up really easily. I used a steel blade on my circular saw to cut them if need be.

I used 2x8x12's. You may have to use a stabilizer in the middle to keep the 12" wide from twisting. I also used treated on the lower 2 boards.

Last edited by a moderator:
We bought ours at Menards. They have 'pre-fab' horse stalls, but you can buy the individual pieces as well, and they use 'u' channels. (I'm not sure that's what they called them, even though that's what they are. I remember asking about 'u' channels and the workers there looking at me as if I were speaking a different language.) Anyway, they DID have to order them though, they did not keep them in stock in the stores.

You should be abble to get Channel iron from any steel supplier. They should be able to sizeit when you ask for channel iron with a width between the center of 1 1/2" or 2" or however wide you need for your planks. Usually you can have a few options on the depth of channels. My guess would be you need a 2 1/2"x2" channel iron. Stock usually comes in 20 or 21 foot lenghts, some supliers will cut to lenght for you.

Good luck

Mark

Go to horsestalls.com. They are in OH and make stall pkgs as well as portables & more. What you are looking for is called a "wall channel" by them. So, call & get a price.
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back