Congress Show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like I have a lot of farms to come and visit!!
aktion033.gif

Again, I take back saying that all shetlands are hot headed, I understand alot of it can come from training. However, that still does not change the fact that the ones I have seen up here have been pretty hot headed, and I would not ever want my children around them.

Now, with that said, I would like to mention that even with proper professional training... that a particular national champion shetland was being hooked at a show I attended and let me tell you what, nothing was around it to make it freak out and all of a sudden it went up in the cart, and came back down on its side, somehow got up, flipped around and then took off like a lighening bolt with the handler hanging on trying his to get it to stop. I know this may not be a "normal" circumstance, as anything could have happened to make it react that way, (stung, pinched by the harness, etc...whatever) but in my 30 years of actively showing minis, with "incidents" happening as well, I have never had one take off or flip out on me that severly. Ever.

This in no way is meant to demean any of your horses by any means, it's just what I have seen. Like it was said in an earlier posting, it's all about preference and I prefer the mini type, thats all.
smile.gif

To Jason and Amy, seems like you guys are doing a magnificent job training your shetlands AND your handlers, kudos to you two and let me just say it's about time they were handled correctly and not scared out of their minds at a show.
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like I have a lot of farms to come and visit!!
aktion033.gif

Again, I take back saying that all shetlands are hot headed, I understand alot of it can come from training. However, that still does not change the fact that the ones I have seen up here have been pretty hot headed, and I would not ever want my children around them.

Now, with that said, I would like to mention that even with proper professional training... that a particular national champion shetland was being hooked at a show I attended and let me tell you what, nothing was around it to make it freak out and all of a sudden it went up in the cart, and came back down on its side, somehow got up, flipped around and then took off like a lighening bolt with the handler hanging on trying his to get it to stop. I know this may not be a "normal" circumstance, as anything could have happened to make it react that way, (stung, pinched by the harness, etc...whatever) but in my 30 years of actively showing minis, with "incidents" happening as well, I have never had one take off or flip out on me that severly. Ever.

This in no way is meant to demean any of your horses by any means, it's just what I have seen. Like it was said in an earlier posting, it's all about preference and I prefer the mini type, thats all.
smile.gif

To Jason and Amy, seems like you guys are doing a magnificent job training your shetlands AND your handlers, kudos to you two and let me just say it's about time they were handled correctly and not scared out of their minds at a show.
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
LOL....well, I have a 32" A stallion that MUST be ground driven before hooked to a cart or he will flip over backwards in it. He's been broke for years and my 7 year old can drive him at home. Some horses are just cold backed like that. S@@T happens! Driving is actually much more dangerous than riding and horses are horses not matter how many miles they've had on them. Nothing is ever truely bomb proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like I have a lot of farms to come and visit!! Posted Image
Missy, you are more than welcome at my farm. If I'm at a show that you are at, I'll be happy to let you drive a nice pony. But I will have to tell you that once you get behind a great road or harness pony, you might not want to drive anything else.

Missy,

Looks like you are from MI? I had to go look at your farm website to see where you are from. I don't know who you were watching, but again, most sheltands and show ponies are not like that. And as Carin said, some need to be warmed up.

I have kids from ages 2 - 8 that come out to the farm and are very happy to go pet my shetlands when they are here.

Hoping you find your way around your experience.

Latest posts

Back