Congress - Financial Woes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew nothing of this topic until I saw it being discussed on another forum. I feel if Lea wanted this to be known by all members about Congress, then it should have been posted on the LB pony section and the other pony forum as well. I am sure I am not alone when I say I don't really come to this forum that much, so I would not have known anything about this.

The last time I checked, when I recieve my yearly membership renewal and card it is for the ASPC/AMHR which is one in the same! I am not just a member of the American Shetland Pony Club but also a member of the American Miniature Horse Registry, the same as the approximately 10,000 every year. All members of the Registries deserve to know what is going on in our finances, this has nothing to do with a pony forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew nothing of this topic until I saw it being discussed on another forum. I feel if Lea wanted this to be known by all members about Congress, then it should have been posted on the LB pony section and the other pony forum as well. I am sure I am not alone when I say I don't really come to this forum that much, so I would not have known anything about this.

The last time I checked, when I recieve my yearly membership renewal and card it is for the ASPC/AMHR which is one in the same! I am not just a member of the American Shetland Pony Club but also a member of the American Miniature Horse Registry, the same as the approximately 10,000 every year. All members of the Registries deserve to know what is going on in our finances, this has nothing to do with a pony forum.
I agree. It is the same club, the same money. It's important - IMHO. But what do I know?

First, I do not post all that much on forum's... Sometimes I get on Lil B boards, so this is where I posted, I can hardly figure out how to get to these sites much less figure out where I am going on them.

Please undertand it was not intentional on my part to offend anyone.. It was pure stupidity
default_wacko.png
on my part about proper posting... If you feel this is not a mini issue then please ask the moderator to drop this thread. I am a director who wanted to inform you the members that we have a financial issue out there... I posted not knowing I was on a wrong site. But in the end this registry does have minis and pony owners. But when it comes to the financial health of the registry -- it is all of our concern.

I could post my other concerns for the registry and answer questions as a director. But if your going to be offended as to where I post, then I guess leave with my tail between my legs because to be honest I am tired of reading these posts and getting hit with that stick for posting on the wrong site.

But sorry, the above posts did tick me off! First off, it is way off topic!!! I have 6 minis and 8 ponies. I have been bitten by every one of my minis, never by my ponies. 6/6 minis have steped on my foot, never by my ponies. 4/6 minis have kicked me, never by my ponies. I have seen many minis flip and roll while on the lead, never a pony yet. I have witnessed a youth get struck in the face by a rearing mini, never a pony yet. So... I don't know how you can say pretty much anybody can handle a mini. You are pretty close, but almost anybody could handle a Yorkie dog too, but not everybody could handle a Great Dane dog (yes I have owned them both).

Then you back tracked and stated you have owned ponies. Well, I invite you or anyone else to my farm who wants to experience what the American Shetland Pony is all about. But it does come with a warning: be prepared to be attacked by them. As they all argue over who will get their butts scratched first, or who is next in line to be brushed, or who wants to get kisses first. Because of generalized statement like yours, I avoided the Shetland Ponies for years. All I ever heard them called was "crazy d*mn shetlands", so because of people like you, I missed many years of not having these horses.

And it does not take a trainer to show a pony! Hello.... there are way more amateurs showing than trainers, same as the minis! Have you never seen a youth show a pony before? I had a 13 yo girl show one of my ponies this year, she had never even touched a pony before. Guess what, she showed that pony as if she was showing a mini, no difference in personality of the horse.

But I do agree, that not everyone can handle a pony, they are larger, so that means they are stronger. I am positive there is no way possible I could handle a non-trained Quarter Horse, TB or draft horse, I don't have the knowledge or strength.

I show all my ponies as classics, so I don't shoe mine or have a bunch on training equipment for them. Actually, they are much easier to keep fit then my minis.

Just as my farrier states...... if they have hooves, they can kick.... if they have teeth, they can bite!

I really don't understand why you even posted these statements, as they had nothing to do with the topic. But I feel I had to respond to this, as I don't want others to put stock in your post that shetlands can not be a gentle show pony! Once again, I invite anyone to my farm to fall in love with this breed!

I would like clarification of your statement please? Please note, I write this in gentle tones....

Are you under the impression from my first post that I attacked the Congress? I posted to make awareness of the Congress deficit. Believe me, my intention of the post was not to attack the Congress….

You may not know this but I was the one who came up with the location for the Congress, I threw it out to Belinda and a few others as I had contracted Ardmore for another show. Belinda and I went to Ardmore and had a meeting with Tim the facilitator. We struck up a pretty sweet deal for the Congress with Tim and believe me we put it out on the table for at least an hour working out the details so that the Congress's up front costs for the rental of the facility would be covered from stall rental, you can see the figures in my second post. Also, secured a $2,000 grant from the City of Ardmore.

I along with Belinda made the presentation to the board of directors that I put in many many hours of research on demographic's of pony population, ownership, grafts and charts, you name I had it. Even gift bags from the city of Ardmore for the all the directors.

Bottom line is, I don’t care how sweet of a deal was made with the facility, if we do not turn the Congress around financially, all the sweetness in the world will not help the Congress. I of all people would not attack the Congress. If it fails, I will be a part of that failure! I felt the financial issuesf had to be addressed to you ahead of Convention, so that we can make a effort to address the situation and rally together to improve the situation at Convention. I know it is old news that the Congress has lost money for years. But it is time to put the question to the directors, show management and the director of marketing on how to scale down the operating costs, promote, secure sponsors, attract vendors and go after corporate sponsors for this event. This in itself is a yearlong project and needs to be started now. I speak from experience as a show manager of big Breed and Small equine shows with 20 years experience. Managing national, regional and local shows, creating event budgets, securing member sponsors, local city sponsors and corporate sponsors is a yearlong project for a national level event. We need to start now at this convention. (If you see me at convention coming at your with a notebook in my hand, ready to corner you for a class sponsorships, please don't run the other way).
default_new_shocked.gif
If your a mini person and it is not your concern to sponsor, that is fine, but please don't hit me with a stick for asking... You mini and Pony people look all the same to me... I just see you as a ASPC/AMHR member.
default_laugh.png
We need to have show management at the Convention to help us with the brainstorming of how to come up with a viable budget. We need the director of marketing involved to lead us to the right doors to knock on for sponsorship. We need Joe our accountant explain to us the analysis sheet and detail to us the break down of the expenses so that we can better understand the oprations costs of this show, even the mini national show.

So please do not misinterpret my posts, in no way did I mean to attack the Congress, as a director of the ASPC/AMHR it is my duty to inform you…. That was my intention…. It was time to inform you about the financial concerns and how can we correct it.

Also, I would like to point out something to you all. Someone posted that the directors are in charge and “Our Hands Are Tied”. That is the furthest thing from the truth, believe me… This registry is a membership registry and you the member have right to anything you ask for other then closed session issues. You the member need to read the rulebook and realize you have member rights! We the directors are not the “Powers to Be” that you think we are as a board. We the board are accountable to you. You have a voice, you need to use it… You have issue with something you write to all the directors, not just yours in your Area. While your writing make sure you copy to the Director of Operations and Director of Finances and the President of the Registry. If you get ignored then write us again...
default_saludando.gif
Do not give up... I assure you though you will not be ignored by some us!!! We will address your inquires. You can make a difference as that is your member right!! Please email us with your concerns now, emails us requesting suggestions befor convention. Secure with the directors that we will have time on the schedule to discuss the Congress and it’s future and needed fixes or any other issue you want to bring to our attention. I will certainly take any concerns you have seriously and respond to them the best I can. I ask you not to sit back and feel that you have no say! Change that defeated feeling and write to all the directors, write to us as a unit, make your feelings known and give the directors your requests!! It is time that membership speak and be known if you feel you have no say. I have listed all the directors email addresses for you… Use these emails to voice your questions, opinions, idea's, concerns and need for change....

Thank you for reading.... Respectfully, Lea Dill - Area I director.

President Larry Parnell does not have email, ask Zona to copy to him.

[email protected] (Director of Operations)

[email protected], (Director of Finances)

[email protected],

[email protected],

[email protected],

[email protected],

[email protected],

[email protected],

[email protected]

[email protected],

[email protected],

[email protected],

[email protected],

[email protected]

[email protected],

I think Lea that once the post had turned around to be a 'solutions' post instead of seen as an attack, this has been more beneficial.
I have been asking for 5 years now to see a detailed financial report from the registry - we as members hear things, it is our club, we want to help. But we can't when our hands are tied.

Lea,

I was not attacking you so much. I love you as a show manager, as I think you do a GREAT job. I also appreciate you working your tail off to get Congress to Ardmore. My feeling was simply I would not have known a discussion was being made about the pony side of the registry if not for the other forum.

Ya know, not everyone will be happy. Thank you for starting this topic, alot of useful information has been given. I really hope that all this bickering can stop, and WE all can come up with suggestions on how to make Congress a financial success. People will always work better as a team than an individual. Like they say, two heads are better than one!

I don't look at it as a mini vs pony registry. I love all horses, no matter the size or breed. They are a magical animal, I think we all can agree on that. So go hug your mini, pony..... or if you are lucky enough, both.

That is something that I admire about you Lea (and Belinda as well), you will come on a public forum and inform the members, even if it means getting some flack. After reading your last post, I do feel like my opinion would matter. I never felt like you were attacking Congress. I was well aware that you and Belinda had worked SUPER DUPER hard to get Ardmore.
default_wub.png

I would be willing to do anything possible to help make Congress a financial success, if my help is needed, please let me know.

Could you please tell us more details on sponsorships? Is it just sponsoring a class, an event or what? Is this something we could ask our employers to sponsor? Or does it need to be bigger companies? I agree, we need to start NOW!!!!!!

I think what happens is, that people are so very much "in love" with their horses (mini or pony), that we become TOO PASSIONATE about them.

I am sure at convention we will pull this all together and start approching members. I was told that Belinda is spearheading also to gather sponsros. I will be sure to let you know..

Please can someone post my email about having a voice in this registry to this pony board you speak of?up.... AHH "Grasshopper" here does not know this "magical pony forum" that you speak of???
default_worshippy.gif
default_pray.gif

That is something that I admire about you Lea (and Belinda as well), you will come on a public forum and inform the members, even if it means getting some flack. After reading your last post, I do feel like my opinion would matter. I never felt like you were attacking Congress. I was well aware that you and Belinda had worked SUPER DUPER hard to get Ardmore.
default_wub.png
I would be willing to do anything possible to help make Congress a financial success, if my help is needed, please let me know.

Could you please tell us more details on sponsorships? Is it just sponsoring a class, an event or what? Is this something we could ask our employers to sponsor? Or does it need to be bigger companies? I agree, we need to start NOW!!!!!!

I think what happens is, that people are so very much "in love" with their horses (mini or pony), that we become TOO PASSIONATE about them.

This isn't the official site for ASPC/AMHR. Who will be turning this issue around...pony owners that show at Congress. Sounds pretty much like a pony topic. Does it involve ALL OF US...you bet. Did someone post that mini owners shouldn't know about this, because I didn't. It was put out as official information on one forum to a group that reads a forum designated as mini topics, so as an official representative of ASPC/AMHR, yes I think she should have put something out on the pony forums where OTHER members read.

But let's get on to something that is really important now. How to change the situation. I posted on the other forum that I think we should have a committee that researches Congress and sets up a record of what the definitely necessities are. At first, I thought the committee could serve as a liaison between the board, show manager, facility and membership until we could get this show in the black or at least break even. People (not on the board and no one that would have a conflict of interest) on the committee would go over every detail to determine where changes can be made and present their findings to the general membership, not just the board. This committee could also do some research on other shows, fee comparisons, facility fees, etc. And as someone else mentioned on the other forum. There are obviously some HUGE problems and we have to start at the most logical starting point, the top and work down to the very last figure. It has been rehashed and discussed in the board room numerous times, but it hasn't changed things? Why? What are the steps that have been taken? Is there a record of what has been presented in the past that we can look and see if everything has been implemented? A copy of the minutes that details presentations and discussions? If everything hasn't been documented that is problem #1. If it hasn't been followed that is problem #2. So start there.

In 2010 location is a big factor that MIGHT change some things. But there are already plans to move this back up north...I know this because I was TOLD this specifically by people planning on getting it moved. IF it works better this year, we only have a one year contract. What happens then?

This is not a pony vs. mini topic but some people did turn it into that which is what got tempers flaring in the first place. There is one thing that we can all agree upon....WE LOVE OUR HORSES and WE LOVE ASPC/AMHR or we wouldn't choose to invest all this time, effort and most of all $$$$$ into it. Let's figure out positive solutions to the issues and start by DEMANDING ACCOUNTABILITY. Don't say we must make money and then undermine the effort IF 2010 changes anything that puts some pressure on for this coming Congress. We need to step up and make it happen, especially everyone who is so happy about it moving. If it does well, then we have something to work with. Everyone has pretty much the same opinions, this needs to be turned around. So let's make it happen and try to work together for the good of the whole.

As far as mini nationals and Congress...let's do a comparison by RATIO not by dollars or numbers. You can't compare one to the other in some ways, but in others you can. We have the same show manager, the same show personnel basically, the same BOD of directors in charge, so what is the difference? Our facility doesn't cost as much so while the numbers are lower for Congress that cost is lower as well. As a business person, I can't figure out why this is so difficult to figure out. It is a good time to discuss this as we are going to Convention in a couple of weeks. I hope that the BOD that are reading this realize the discussion this should present for them at Convention and to the membership who will want some answers.

Lea check your PM.

Also, although it did seem to me to be an attack on Congress - I think the tone of the post has changed to be more of a solution gatherer post.

Hopefully those that read the beginnings of the post, continue to find the tone has changed as well.

I think the first priority should be to get ahold of a detailed financial report from Congress and Nationals and see if there is something Nationals can reveal that we are missing the boat on for Congress.

Then I think one person should 'Project Manage' the gaining of sponsors, and I am going to be bold and say it should not be a BOD member - it should be someone with PM experience of leading teams. That person report into the BOD and the membership.

I think you should either have MaryLou or the other Forum owner (the secrect pony forum owner) open up a line of communication by adding a section to the forum for those trying to get sponsors to post, list, discuss and negotiate the gaining of sponsors. THIS IS KEY - we don't want numerous people going after the BIG sponsors and the BIG sponsors get inundated with requests and they become frustrated and not support Congress.

For example:

I have gained huge sponsorship from Company X and have a direct contact there to the people who grant sponsorships. So I contact them, but wait

The Simple Life Farm may have a good contact at Company X and they start working that angle to gain a different type or same sponsorship.

If we have commonalities in contacts, we need to pool those together and work the system to our advantage.

I have more thoughts, but must run to a mtg.

Forgot one thing...Lea posted all those email addresses. This is the time to use them.

Lea I thank you for posting and franklydo not care where you post enough cross read that it got out you know going on and on about where it got out is just stupid.

If ABC broke a story and I didnt hear about it until the next morning or late that night cause how dare NBC or FOX and CBS not break it and inform ME at the same time would I be crying about how ABC was obviously trying to keep me out of the loop come on now get a grip... it was posted doesnt matter by who - when or where what matters is we all now have this information and it is up to all of us to figure out what to do with it.

Not up to all of us to buy a shetland and take it to congress or not up to all of those with ponies to buy minis and show at Nationals it is about not being able to have it it all.

If you do not want to raise fees then expect smaller trophies, ribbons and other expenses seems pretty simply a sacrafice has to be made somewhere be it in your awards budget, and staff budget or a increase in prices or money to start dropping from the sky.

Frankly I will not sponsor anything more then a class if the class fees are not raised. I am not ok with something losing money for YEARS and YEARS and myself having to pay more for Nationals classes and COngress classes remaining the same...but that is just me and yes it effects my we will be showing at both this year

Please can someone post my email about having a voice in this registry to this pony board you speak of?up.... AHH "Grasshopper" here does not know this "magical pony forum" that you speak of???
default_worshippy.gif
default_pray.gif

Lea,

We are not allowed to copy from one forum to another. I looked at the "other forum" last night, and thought I saw you as a member??? Either way, I am sure Belinda can help you with the "other forum".

Again, thank you so very much for helping to get Congress to Ardmore, and getting this information out here. I think we all can agree, we want Congress 2010 to be the best ever!!!!!

you know going on and on about where it got out is just stupid.
that I agree with

different people voicing opinions but yet the same ones keep repeating how it doesn't matter.....

I also appreciate Lea posting the info. I did not get that she was putting the Congress down. I really appreciate her for doing it. We need to know.

I am in awe at the responses given. So many great ideas and suggestions. In school we call it brainstorming and this is what is happening on this forum right now!

I am always amazed with the energy and kindness and intelligence on the forum. I really think with the help of all the people on the Forums the 2010 Congress will be different !!!!

New people almost always bring new ideas and lots of new energy. Having never been to Congress and not owning any shetlands right now I really don't feel I know enough about either one to voice an opinion.

As far as temperment is concerned, when asked about it I would like to ask are your kids spoiled and ill behaved? Then chances are your animals will be as well. My kids have had lots of ponies and minis and none have been ill mannered.

I did meet Larry Parnell at Nationals and found him to be very open and approachable. And Lea I have known for a long time and feel like I could discuss anything with her.

I think with the many talented people on here and other boards the problems will be solved. I am kind of excited to see what comes of this!

default_wub.png

Bonnie

Yes, your right I am a member and visited the that board last time in April... Kay helped me out this morning, got me a pass word that I can remember.... and I will go there.... The Grasshopper
default_worshippy.gif
line was to supose to be funny... Now I just have to remember my username....
default_wacko.png
We NY'ers have a odd sense of humor....

default_worshippy.gif
default_pray.gif

Lea,

We are not allowed to copy from one forum to another. I looked at the "other forum" last night, and thought I saw you as a member??? Either way, I am sure Belinda can help you with the "other forum".

Again, thank you so very much for helping to get Congress to Ardmore, and getting this information out here. I think we all can agree, we want Congress 2010 to be the best ever!!!!!

I got the "joke" and must say it cracked me up anyway
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back