Congrats!!! ZENYATTA!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreaminmini

Reaction score
Anyone that is interested in Thoroughbred horse racing knows today is the Holy Grail of Horse racing. Anyone that was watching today got treated to a masterful display. Zenyatta is truly one of the greatest horses and male or female that has ever raced. She won against the top male horses in the world! GO GIRL POWER!!! I will be watching for a youtube link for the race replay and will add it here when it shows up. Very worth watching. Congrats to all her connections!!

Video link Breeders Cup Classic She is the #4 horse with yellow saddle cloth.

Last edited by a moderator:
What an awesome filly and a 17+ H tall!!! She was the biggest horse in the field. Did you see the diagram of all the famous horses and she was bigger than all of them. Those owners are on cloud nine. What a great race. So glad she came through it healthy and did it in fantastic style. WOW!

Last edited by a moderator:
While I appreciate the athletic ability of this one horse as a true horse lover I'm 100% against the horse racing industry. It's an industry where only one thing counts and that's the bottom $. Thousands...I mean THOUSANDS of horses are crippled and killed for every one that makes it to the track and of those thousands are crippled for life or killed for everyone that places in a race. Horses are given anti-inflammatory steroids, cortisone shots and painkillers to keep them racing through injuries which over time leave horses wide open to catastrophic injuries - remember Eight Bells...both ankles shattered as he ran ! Then there are the completely innocent foals from other breeds torn from their mommas at a week to two weeks old so that TB foals can be placed on that mare to nurse while the TB mare dries up and gets bred again like a factory or can travel to race again without a baby in tow

http://www.dreamequinetherapycenter.org/nu...mare_foals.html

I could go on and on - just go to a horse auction where used up and crippled three year olds get sold for meat. Oh and lets not forget that yearlings TB are bring raced and trained...yearlings...their spines don't finish growing until they're 5 years old and don't get me started on their leg bones.

Okay, I'm off my high horse (no pun intended) but to me crippling tens of thousands of these magnificent animals for the one who crosses the winning line is no worse than fighting dogs and killing the ones who don't make the grade and I'm dead against that too. Suffering is suffering.

I keep quiet on a lot of issues but not where animal cruelty is involved. I love horses as a fellow creature way too much, and they cannot speak up for themselves.

default_no.gif

Thanks for the link. I loved watching her on "Jockeys" and really thought she would do something great. Alright, Zenyatta!!!!

Miniwhinny. I don't intend to start a fight, but you have been very misinformed as to thoroughbreds! They have been my life's love, and my life's work. Your statement that thousands are killed for every one that makes it to the track is way, way off base! Where do you get your information? I have worked in the office of many breeding farms, and I don't know of very many that were crippled or destroyed before they made it to the track. They are not raced as yearlings! Some are broke with maybe 90 days training in the fall/winter of their yearling year, if their knees have gone together, then turned out to grow and mature till they are two, and depending on the bloodlines, some are three before they even get to the track to be started. Just as in any breed, there are horses that will mature early, and those that do not mature till later. Yes, there are early break downs, but that is in every breed as well. And yes, there are those that overmedicate, and use steroids, as in any breed, but all T.B.'s undergo drug testing at the track, and if illegal drugs are found in their system, the owners and trainers are disciplined, sometimes ruled off for life, and the horse is DQ'ed. Were you not aware of that?

Did you realize that the owners and trainers and grooms and all other people that have anything to do with them love those horses as much as you love yours? If not, then go to the track and talk to a few of them. The life of a horseman be it TB or any other breed is certainly not an easy one. On the track, it is up at 4-4:30 a.m., feed and check temps, go over legs, and get them tacked up and ready to go for their exercise, clean stalls, water, etc., and when your charge gets back, walk it till it cools out. Give it another rub down, and start with another, etc., etc. Then get ready for lunch, any special needs, and then lunch. Race days are even more specialized and hectic for the handlers.

Do you not know of the millions of dollars that are spent on them? Oh, and did you realize that the majority of thoroughbreds are owned by people like you and me. Average joes that work to keep their heads afloat and pay for their love of the horse and their bills and all that go with it. You only know of the wealthy, because they are the ones that generally get all the news hype.

I know that this post is not going to convince you to feel any differently because of your pre conceived notions, all the negative feedback you have heard or read, but to make a blanket statement that all to do with T. B.'s is just money makes me a little angry. You see, my late husband and his family, and I were also owners and raced horses. Yes, we have endured losses, losses that were so horrible that we cried for weeks. But we also loved our horses. Oh, and I wanted to add, those that did not make the races were either used as brood mares, or were sold to hunter jumper people. And oh yes, some foals are taken from their mothers and put on nurse mares because the mare didn't have enough milk, had the rh factor, or some other extenuating circumstances. It is not done just for the heck of it. The mare, once a brood mare, is not being raced or taken back to the races. Her job is to raise foals, so why would they take a foal from her if she were able to nurse it?

Please get educated into the real world of the thoroughbred before you make such broad, sweeping negative statements about them. I think you will find that if you open your mind, you will find these horses love what they do, and are loved and much honored by the people that own and care for them.

I agree with Just Us N Texas. I worked at a race horse barn and I was there when the youngsters were brought in and trained to ride, trained to the starting gate, etc, and on to racing. I groomed, tacked up horses, bathed them, took them to and from the hot walkers, etc. We also had broodmares in paddocks. Do I think that the horses are started too young? Yes. But in all the time that I was there did I see any racehorse break down? No. The worst injury I saw of our horses was some bone chips in the legs of one horse, which was resolved with surgery. I did witness a terrible accident during a gallop (of some other barn's horse) where the horse tumbled head over heels; the horse had to be put down and the jockey was hospitalized for months. That was awful. Racing is not for the faint of heart for sure. But the trainer and the owners really cared about the horses. Yes, they wanted to win-- that's what racing is all about. Most don't make money doing it though, it's all a gamble and pretty much a money pit, but it is undeniably an exciting sport and it gets into your blood.
default_wub.png

She did great. I doubt her and Rachel Alexander will race each other as the announcer mentions after the race it is Zenyatas last race if I understood right. If she were my horse I would retire her now, an undeafeated winner, and breed her to some of the top stallions.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back