Confused

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenziej14700

Reaction score
So I bought this mare today and the people to me abused her they told me she was pregnant But when I went to pick her up the guys friend sold me to her and he said that he doesn’t know if she’s actually pregnant so today I checked on her and she’s producing white sticky milk so I don’t know if she had a foal already or what her teats are very large compared to the other one I had got and her vuvula is very long compared to the other one but she did have a baby about 2 years ago this picture was taken today when I got her I cleaned her up they never told me she had a missing eye but I still love her the same of course I am just confused

Attachments

• 58D0BF61-8606-4A09-9D51-865B96754934.jpeg
    58D0BF61-8606-4A09-9D51-865B96754934.jpeg
    597.8 KB · Views: 19
Oh poor sweet girl, so happy she is with you now.

Aww too cute! Do you have any pictures of her from the side down at her level/from behind at her level/her udder? If you need an idea of the sort of pictures I mean, have a look at the two most recent threads in this section - we have been posting quite a few lol
Those would give the more experienced people on here (I am not lol this will be my first foal) a better idea of whether or not Sweetie might be in foal (though of course it’s impossible to tell for absolute certain by pictures, a vet check would be your best bet).

I just took these these is milk coming out rn

Attachments

• B8AA4A3B-7829-4183-BA35-7BFD08EC404C.jpeg
    B8AA4A3B-7829-4183-BA35-7BFD08EC404C.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 13
  • A310FAEB-99D8-433C-AB96-DD1BABB13764.jpeg
    A310FAEB-99D8-433C-AB96-DD1BABB13764.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 13
I will definitely be calling a vet :) thank you for your help I just am worried she had the baby and they kept her or something cause the guy isn’t answering me questions about this the whole thing was strange

I'm so glad she's with you and going to be loved and taken care of. If she's dripping milk she might have had a foal taken away from her just before you got her, like same day, but she normally would have been calling and very upset. Or she's due to foal anytime. Can you take a picture of her vulva? Having a vet out to look at her is a very good idea. Please let us know how it goes?

Wow yes that is quite the udder! Please keep us updated.

That could be because she’s in a new place. Were there other horses where you got her from? If there were then it would be normal for her to be calling out for her friends having been separated from them. When one of mine had to be put to sleep, her best friend was calling out for her, looking for her, it took her a little while to acclimatize to life without her. Any more pictures?

Poor thing. Seems these sweet animals are just used and passed on to the next person. Glad she is with you now! Hopefully she is due any minute and not already foaled and separated. That should be a crime!

Some people just have no compassion when it comes to animals. The auction where I got Rosie, a mare and young foal got ran through together and the auctioneer made a comment about them being a package deal, then someone from the crowd yelled out to separate them, so they did. It was heartbreaking. The foal was going crazy looking for it’s mama, and then when the mare got ran through after the foal, she was frantic looking for her baby, calling out for it. The foal was sold privately and the mare went for meat 😔

Do you have her out with any company? She will not be very happy if she is completely alone and will want to be near you or other horses.

I definitely will and I called the guy and I guess she was letting her 2yr old nurse and that’s why she still has lots of milk but he said she will he due in about a month or so but I have no clue?! She has a friend that I got also with her she’s so wild no human contact what so ever I think they were definitely neglected omg that is so freaking sad why do people separate the babies from momma that is animal abuse and selling the momma for meat something needs to be done about that animals need to be treated equal it’s breaks my heart! I am sad I am happy also she’s with me getting some love and care

Call your vet to come see her ASAP and read everything you can at the top of this page to be safe, she may be going to foal any time. If she just has milk from letting her two year old nurse she wouldn't be dripping like that.

OMG.... You may have your hands full.....Agree with Taz..... The whole thing sounds crazy. If she IS close to foaling she needs a "rest" and be able to make colostrum for the new foal! Hope your vet can help with all that. Be sure to feed her as if she IS in foal.....It won't hurt.

Reactions: Taz
How much should I be feeding her he told me a pouch a day for each she also has a lot of pasture to eat on but I need your guys advice cause I think he was just breeding them and selling them and not taking much care

How big is she? The mare and foal feed I have says 500g to 1kg per 100kg of body weight, so my little 30 inch, approx 200lb mare gets 500g and a handful of alfalfa pellets, split into two feeds as it’s too much for her to eat in one sitting. Pasture is good but make sure not to let her graze too much on lush grass so that she doesn’t get laminitis.
If you can lift up her tail and get a picture of her vulva, I’m sure the experienced people would be able to tell you if she’s elongated. Does she feel squishy/like jelly on her back end/around her tail head?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back