Conformation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taya

Reaction score
Hello

I have a 6 months old filly who is quite splayed out in the front legs (bones not hooves). I was hoping someone could give me some advice as to why this may be. Neither her sire nor dam have this fault.

Is this a genetic fault?

Nutrional perhaps? (mare was on a good diet and in great shape maybe a little chubby)

What are the odds of it correcting as she matures? or will they stay like this.

Any info would be great!

Thankyou
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
What does your farrier say? I assume he/she been working to try to help or correct it since shortly after birth? And what does your Vet say? It won't correct itself.

I am so picky about legs when it comes to all of our horses, the minimum i ask for is straight well set legs toeing forward and that track forward and flat on the knee..i really think the legs is the starting line for any show / breeding animal. To me no legs - no horse ... atleast no horse that will be standing in my barn / pasture
default_smile.png

I would have your farrier take a look into it and see if it can be corrected...i think some issues come from lack of nutritional and farrier care from as a weaning + but some be very much so just be bad conformation.

Have a good farrier work on her and after several trims you may or may not see a difference.

Thanks for the replies

Sorry no pics yet. Will try to get some in the next few days.

I should add that the filly has been on a top diet and had excellent farrier work done also (and frequently) the vet isnt a great help to be honest (but the only one I have access to without a large amount of travel) the farrier said its nothing to do with her hooves which are fine. She is fine till her knees then splays out. It doesnt cause her any problems its not a bad as it may come across in my post but will stop her from being shown, bred etc. The farrier said he thinks she may get a little better as she matures.

Leeanna whilst I would usually agree, she was bred by me so wont simply be turfed out because of bad legs at the least she will be a great pet for my kids
default_smile.png

I was interested in everyones views as this is the mares first foal and neither her or the sire have this fault. I was wondering could it still be genetic.

Would it be worth breeding her again to a different stallion or would the odds of this happening again (even if the dams fine) be high. Or could this if it is genetic be from a relative further back.

Not asking for a miracle cure mainly just interested in advice on whether it could be genetic without either parent having it themselves.

Thanks
default_smile.png

I would agree it would help to see photos...Here is my expierence...I purchased a yearling with a slight outword movement in her hind right leg. The hind hoof is about a inch on the outside where her front hoof leaves a track as she walks , at the trot , and canter its not noticable... In the past 6 months or so it has gotten a lot better , I think it has somewhat corrected itself. I have a pretty big pasture with a hill, and she loves to run up and down the hill all day , so she is getting pretty strong in her hind end. So maybe your horse will correct itself with exercise, maybe not . But in my oppinion , if you want this horse to compete with the the ones with a perfect conformation I dont think she will bring home the blue ribbons. Its tough out there , there are so many beautiful horses with perfect conformation that the slightest off set hoof, or leg is a real disadvantage. I will still show my little girl , and I dont care what color ribbon she brings home (if any). hope my expierence helps a little. and no .. her parents dont have this problem either... her photo is at left and its the leg that is her left back leg.

Last edited:
Hard to say whether it is genetic, could be placement/crowding in the womb (esp since it was her first foal), a dietary imbalance (possible even with a well fed mare). If it is in her knees then she's not going to be straight - those bones are pretty well set. However, as she grows it may be less evident with muscling and condition.

Jan

I would have a good farrier look at her and, we really need pics. I was worried about strait legs when my last colt was born,that I fed momma about 3 months before she foaled and the colt for the first year a feed additive that guarenteed strait legs in foals. Well, You know it was just snake oil but he does have strait legs.

Thanks so much everyone. I appreciate all your stories of your foals etc
default_smile.png

The filly wont be shown and will not be bred from. But she will stay here with us and be a great little pet (she has the best personality!!)

I am in two minds as to whether to breed the mare again down the track. I have a lot of research to do. I dont own the stallion so will look into all his progeny and see if it may come from his side. The vet did mention overcrowding when she was carrying her, so lots of things to think about.

Regards

Taya

found this pic. sorry its a few from a few weeks ago but its hasnt changed. Her back legs a fine. Yes shes a short and stocky mini too (not everyone style lol)

hope this works

IMG_1249.jpg

just spitballing here, but it is possible that when she developes a chest it will correct itself
default_wink.png

Taya, this may be way off base because I can't see the rest of your filly from the pics ...but...from the way you describe her body and from the length of her upper legs in the photos...she's not a dwarf is she? If she is it would explain the legs. DO you have a full body shot?

Miniwhinny, I was wondering the same thing.
Ditto. The length of the forearm made me go "Hmmm" Of course, not like we've never seen bad pictures of shaggy ponies on this forum!!
default_wink.png

A full body shot would be really helpful to put it into context!

Hi no she is definately not dwarf John Eberth(?) has looked at her and said 100% "No" straight away
default_smile.png
I sent him a million photos (sorry they arent on my laptop so dont have access to them atm) of her as initially I was concerned about her legs aswell the rest of her is fine its just her front legs

She just short and stocky.

John is certainly the expert, only...erm...sometimes even experts can get it wrong!!!

I think I might be inclined to take her picture to the dwarf forum, were she mine.

I don't want to be an alarmist, but the first thing I also thought when I saw the picture was that you probably have a dwarf foal. The proportion is not right even just seen the leg shot for a 6mos old foal (judging from what else is visible int he picture -- too short of leg, too heavy of bone). A full body shot would help, but this is my suspicion. John's the expert, no doubt at all, but I am very curious to see the rest of your filly. I think there are issues in addition to her legs bowing in (but hope I am wrong!).

Hi

Do you have photos of this filly clipped? It is impossible to tell when they have hair like that what is going on with the legs. I had a mare years ago that looked like that with her hair grown out and when clipped her legs were perfect. It was just the way the hair grew.

I agree with mizbeth, clip her up and take another look. If foal's legs are perpendicular when they are born the horse would be badly base narrow once their chest develops so you want to see a slightly base wide stance as a weanling and even yearling. At this age what you want to do is draw a line through the centre of the leg from top to bottom. If it flares out slightly from top to bottom the legs are straight, if it flares out from the knee or fetlock joint only then you have a problem. That is a bit difficult to do with this as there is so much hair and the picture is not taken from directly on the front (I can see the left side of the right foot so the photo is taken slightly from the left of the horse). Is that left left bent back slightly or is that how she normally stands? Could you clip her up for us? I don't see dwarf characteristics here in that there is not a major disproportion with her forearm and cannon - don't forget that long chest hair is shortening her forearm look in this photo.

Gotta agree with clip her (or brush for hours lol ) I have a young donk with legs so bad you'd think her only use is donkey stew with lots of pepper. Shed her out and that girl is straight as an arrow...it all hair visually throwing off what you see. Drives me batty.

Latest posts

Back