Conformation Information...redone!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooke S.

Reaction score
I've posted this before in a different topic...but I think I was suposed to post it on this one!
default_gaah.gif

I just bought a mini mare, Hattie, who is 30.25" tall and 3 years old. Just wondering what you guys thought of her conformation, I think her back is a bit short and her tail a little low, but what would you say? Would you say she is breeding quality? This is my first year to breed miniatures so everythings new for me!

This is Hattie:

IMG_1090.jpg

Thanks!!

IMO, Best thing to do would be to fit her up and show her. See what judges think of her and if she does pretty well in the ring you know she is a nice quality for breeding. Its a bit hard to make that judgement on a horse from one picture in winter woolies, but she looks like she may be a fairly decently put together little girl. She's only 3 so she has plenty of time to be bred once you know her strengths and weaknesses a bit better.

Here is a link to 4-H information on conformation that I put up on our website: http://www.ontargetminiatures.com/images/pdfs/Horse_conformation_web.pdf

You can actually use a good side view photo of a clipped horse to see how their conformation measures up. The photo is of our colt Max as a yearling and his measurements are right on, except his legs were a bit long!! (almost unheard of for a mini but he was only a yearling). Judges liked him too.

Here is a link to 4-H information on conformation that I put up on our website: http://www.ontargetminiatures.com/images/pdfs/Horse_conformation_web.pdf

You can actually use a good side view photo of a clipped horse to see how their conformation measures up. The photo is of our colt Max as a yearling and his measurements are right on, except his legs were a bit long!! (almost unheard of for a mini but he was only a yearling). Judges liked him too.

Vinne2 shopped.jpg

That was fun! My pic isn't exactly square on, but this guy seemed pretty balanced according to your charts!

FYI- I got the information from general horse conformation books, so that means if your mini measures up he matches big horse conformation!

Back