Conformation critique please! Videos added 1/15/13

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy's_mom

Reaction score
Ok everyone I'm ready for all the good/bad/ugly truth about this horse. He was born in 2010 and stands at 34" tall. I originally got this boy last fall as a possible stallion prospect for my small herd of girls but as time as went on I decided that he would make a better gelding- so he was gelded last month! I'm doing some training with him now - if I still have in the spring I will training him for halter, trail, and possibly breaking him to drive as well for a few local open shows and maybe a couple AMHR shows as well.

So here's my boy - remember he's a gelding now! These pictures were taken straight out of the pasture with no conditioning on Oct 3,2012 and the back/front pictures taken just the week before.

DSCN0280.JPG

DSCN0281.JPG

DSCN0273.JPG

DSCN0275.JPG

Thanks!

Becky M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Overall he's nice, but probably made the right decision as a gelding.

His head is really plain and he's got a thick neck/throat latch. The length of neck is nice and he uses it well, but its also set a bit lower than what most strive for today.

I really like his shoulder.

His hind end seems a bit strange... I'm not sure what's wrong with it, I'd like to see him set up differently since photos are so static. Maybe it's just that his back is a little long..

His legs look nice and straight and I like the size of his hooves.

I'd like to see some trotting photos since that's important too!

Overall he's nice, but probably made the right decision as a gelding.

His head is really plain and he's got a thick neck/throat latch. The length of neck is nice and he uses it well, but its also set a bit lower than what most strive for today.

I really like his shoulder.

His hind end seems a bit strange... I'm not sure what's wrong with it, I'd like to see him set up differently since photos are so static. Maybe it's just that his back is a little long..

His legs look nice and straight and I like the size of his hooves.

I'd like to see some trotting photos since that's important too!

Overall he is not a badly put together horse but not stallion quality - good decision. His head is a bit large and coarse but he has a good neck that ties in a bit low. Good shoulder but his hip angle doesn't match his shoulder. Good straight legs and set on each corner. He is too straight through the stifle which is what makes his back end look odd. He could well have trouble with locking stifles at some point.

Thanks for the critiques ladies! Based on what you've said he won't make it very well on the halter circuit but possibly the performance side of things. I always thought something was off with his hind end conformation wise but couldn't quite put my finger on it - it just seemed to narrow from the back when he would walk away from you. I've noticed with him that he does twist his left hind leg a little funny when he walks but I haven't seem him show any signs of stiffling yet - will definately keep a look out for it now.

Disney horse - I will try and get trotting pics for you to see but he won't trot in hand so will have to do pictures of him trotting in the field.

Thanks!

Becky M.

Agree on the plain head, thick throatlatch and points already made on the 'plus' side, too. Like how straight/correct his legs are as viewed from front and rear, but to me, he seems to 'stand out' a bit behind. Not as balanced as I'd like to see between front 'half' and rear 'half'...overall, a bit 'light' behind;also, I find him a bit weak in the coupling(loin)and a bit too short in the hip and 'shallow' through the stifle(lack of sufficient muscling in that area I believe to be one big reason for stifle issues). This is an increasingly common problem w/ miniature horse conformation, in my observation, so he certainly isn't alone!

Overall, though,a quite decent gelding; lovely contrast between body and M/T color, always a plus! I imagine you are on a path to totally enjoy this horse!

Margo

I do agree with Margo that he is a bit unbalanced between the front and the back. I'm surprised that he seems so unbalanced in his stifle as he had hills to run up and down in his pasture for the last year. I would have thought he would have built muscle up playing and chasing his buddies around on the hills.

I'm doing some work with him now but I'm afraid to do to much hill/lunge work with him because of him only being 2 years old. I'm not sure what direction to take him now since we've figured out he won't make out well in the halter ring.

Any suggestions as to what needs done to maybe strengthen those muscles to prevent him from stiffling(?) and what kind of career this boy could have?

Thanks for the critiques girls! I think I'm glad I had him gelded!

Becky M.

Work up and down hills is great to develop the back end. Horses left to their own devices seldom go straight up or down hills but rather cross them - he needs to work them. It will be good exercise for you too
default_yes.gif
You could take him out and lunge him on the hillside. Caveletti work is also good and work over ground poles. Don't keep him on a constant circle but move along with him on the lunge and change direction frequently - it is only repetitive, prolonged work on a small circle that is hard on youngsters. You can actually take a ruler and measure his shoulder, back and hip - he is evenly divided in thirds. I think maybe because the angles front and back don't match it is throwing your eye off. He IS ever so slightly out behind due to the poor angling in his stifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not see anything that jumps out at me as a conformational flaw, but he is not very "typy", as his neck ties in lower, a plainer (but honest!) head / expression, legs could be longer, etc. I don't see him as a stallion prospect, but can see many, many MILES of fun with him as a gelding and as a driving horse. He is nicer than the average mini, in my opinion, and not by just a little, but I don't see him knocking it out of the park as a stallion.

Good luck with him. He sure looks like one who can be put to much good use
default_yes.gif

looks like a nice driving horse to me. I always did love a horse that has space in the chest and the front legs aren't stuck together. Me personally, I always loved one where you could put your hand between the front legs up at the chest. Picked my riding horses nice and wide too, I used to ride endurance ages ago and my best boy had a nice long neck, was wide in the chest and deep in the chest. I love your boys nice long neck and he has width in the chest. I prefer geldings, they are terrific so enjoy. PS, as to what I like in type I am stating what I "like", have no idea what those serious driving folks like. As far as my boys, my driving boy is stumpy, chubby, posty short legs and narrow with a really short neck..LOL, I love him to pieces.. so what I like and what I have can differ greatly. I do love geldings number one and can't see myself owing a mare or stallion any time soon. On my one boy when he was gelded, right after it was a "done deal", I had that moment of panic... he is gorgeous, produced gorgeous foals and double registered and beautiful color... I was sad for a time thinking about no more foals and did I do the right thing. I now have a fantastic gelding, I love him to pieces and I don't regret the gelding one bit, but I do remember that one moment and big sigh when I knew there was no turning back. enjoy your beautiful gelding boy!

Bumping this back up! I got some trotting pictures this weekend of my boy. These were the best I could do as it was his first time on a lunge line. He was leaning a little on his left side to make the turn in the first picture. Now what's your opinion on his movement?

DSCN0338.JPGDSCN0339.JPGDSCN0337.JPG

DSCN0329.JPG

Thanks!

Becky M.

He moves decently. Gets well under himself so that although he is heavy on the front right now with some work he will likely be able to develop some lift on the front end. You will need to be careful to build up strength gradually on the back end and save those stifles as much as possible or he could easily have trouble in futre. Looks like you are going to have lots of fun the two of you! Enjoy!

Timber buck - Thanks! That's actually just a township road (still had to watch for on coming traffic that fly down that road!) but yes I do have to use the main road as a training place alot of times! My current driving horse was taught to drive along a main road so she's used to vehicles passing her all the time. Very good training tool in my opinion if done safely! Gets the horses exposed to different things moving past them and the noises too!

Anyone want to give their thoughts on my gelding now with the videos posted?!

Thanks!

Becky M.

I have to agree with the plain head also, judges I think like the Arabian style minis too. I think he looks cute though--He looks almost like a miniature draft horse! ;)

Back