Conformation critique? 8 year old mare and her 1 year old filly.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewToMini's

Reaction score
I think the filly is a finer horse than her mom (just better conformation, don't know that "finer" was the proper word XD), because she's more square and has a finer head. But is that just her age?

I'd love it if you all would say what you do and don't like about each of their conformation. And do you think they would be suitable for driving (or one more than the other?) I plan to teach to mare to drive, and will teach the filly also, if I decide to keep her (mare and filly were given to me this spring, was never sure if I wanted to keep the filly). Also, the mare is registered with the AMHA, but the filly isn't. If I decide I want to show the filly, what could I show her in?

In the pictures, the mare is the bigger and darker one.

IMAG0700.jpg

IMAG0699.jpg

IMAG0695_1.jpg

IMAG0688.jpg

Im a bad judge and I think they will ask that some of the pictures be taken with the photographer a little lower to the ground more level with the horse and the horses neck not be stretched but my first impression when I saw the mare in the first picture was "How cute!!". I like her =D

Yes, it does help to take the pictures down at their level, usually means you have to squat down or kneel; otherwise they all look like they have short stumpy legs. First impression is that they are both cute.

Well the mare has bred a better foal than herself. Not that the mare is not good, shes just a very typical draft mare and they always look ever so slightly out of porportion because they have shorter legs. My draft mare is my best driver, but my finer types are just as nice if not a bit more bouncy.

I think the mare is nicer than her filly. Remember that filly is going to fill out and thicken up and I think will be a little coarse in the end when mature. The mare has a prettier head, nicer set to the neck and better tail set. Neither is a halter horse, any more to win in halter picture arabian in miniature. Foals are so refined they are almost crazy looking, then the show babies look like mature gorgeous adults, never to be seen again as adults because they have coarsened up. Just enjoy your mare and filly, drive them, maybe jump, don't breed them.

Personally I like them both. The filly is also likely in the odd yearling phase and while her head the throat latch is not as nice as the mares. I think she will mature out nicely.

You can drive them both as pleasure, HDT or CDE. There are also scurries in some areas, kind of like barrel racing only while driving. Looks like the filly will mature taller then her dam. Depending on your location and terrain, a taller mini when trail, pleasure driving can be a plus if you have lots of hills.

Back