Confo check

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loren&Rocky

Reaction score
This is Rocky Rocket. We got him from a horse dealer July 4th for $350 because he was dead lame and had no papers. I want to train him for driving. He is 34 inches tall. Can you tell me about his conformation? Is it any good? I think he looks plenty sturty enough to pull a cart.

BTW, he had a hoof abscess and now is very sound.
aktion033.gif

jumpingrocky018.jpg

jumpingrocky013.jpg

jumpingrocky011.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Glad you saved him from a possible bad situation. Also very glad his abcess is better. He has a thick low set neck and a very upright shoulder so he may have trouble setting up in the bridle but for just driving around at home he could be fine. He is very high in the rear end has a low tail set. His legs look straight enough but his hip is very short and steep. He will be able to pull thats for sure but he will be choppy doing it probably. Good luck and enjoy your new playmate.[/SIZE]

Lyn

This horse was pictured earlier with a little boy riding him, right? (I've forgotten who posted that thread, but it must have been you, cuz I recognize the horse!!) I was going to comment then on what a nice fellow that horse was, but I wasn't on here long enough to post anything, & then I didn't get back to it.

This gelding won't win any big halter championships, but there's nothing in his conformation to ruin his use as a good family pleasure driving horse. His croup is his worst feature, it is short & kind of dropped off, but that doesn't mean that he won't be able to trot on out in harness. I've got a gelding that is built very much like yours, and he's a super little going-down-the-road horse.

edited to add: One thing I would suggest is having his front feet checked. In these pix it looks like his heels are too high, and he'll move much nicer if his feet are trimmed to the correct angle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know he is no halter horse! Yes, he is the one with the little boy (my 2 y/o son, Loren) but I would like to do something with him. If he turns out to be a good driving pony, maybe we could do some CDE's?

I will have his feet looked at. We bought him terribly over grown. We have been slow to trim them back.

He has those kind wonderful eyes. He looks like a horse that wants to be friends with you if you can earn his trust.

He gets scared of "Big People" easy, but will follow Loren every where. He loves "His" boy!!

rockyrocket016.jpg

rockyrocket012.jpg

I agree with Lyn on many of her points... I'm sure you could drive him and have a blast with him- he looks like a very kind horse for jotting around the barn and down the road.

As far as shaping him into a competitive driving horse I'm not so sure. There are quite a few things in his conformation that could work aganist him. He has a long heavy, downhill build. He's just built in a way that's going to make him harder for him to gather all the pieces together, round through his back, push off his hocks and free up his shoulder.

But he looks like a very kind soul, and a game heart and good mind can go a LONG way in making up for physical limitations. Plenty of successful horses don't look the part, and make up for it with their minds! The only way to know how all those parts will work together and what roll his mind will play is to start working with him.

Those two pictures of him with your son are priceless
wub.gif
! Too cute for words!!!!

Looking at the pictures of him, I think for your intentions, you picked a perfect guy! He's got such big soft eyes and looks to me like he loves little kids! I think he'll be a wonderful family horse for you.

thumbs-up2.gif

He is my first mini. I never wanted a mini and I didn't even want this one. BUt we went to look anyway and when my son grabbed the tattered halter he was wearing and tried to lead him around, we had to take him home. He was tied to a tree when we went to see him and was tangled up in the rope. He was soooo lame too. When the horse trader untied him, Loren grabbed on to him and said "Come on, come on." The little lame pony limped along behind him. Loren even fell down in front of him a few times on the uneven ground. Rocky did not step on him. Just stopped and waited for him to get up again.

Now I want more minis!!! We just love this guy.

(When they first met. His feet don't look as bad as they were. They were curled under. It was very weird.)

IMG_4496.JPG

IMG_4497.JPG

aktion033.gif
Bravo to you! You saved this horse from a horrible existance and should br applauded.

My yearling fill had curled under hoof when I got her also but time is helping a lot, just try to get a good angle on him.

Your son is darling and ANY of these pictures would be great in the "what minis are good for" pages .(Part of this forum) Good luck to you with him

Maxine

[SIZE=14pt]I am so loving those pics of Loren and his horse! I really doubt you have a cde prospect there but you certainly have a confidence building buddy for your little boy! Thats WONDERFUL![/SIZE]

Lyn

I LOVE those pics of your little boy. I just recently took some pictures of my two year old son with his mini. You just can't beat the geldings with a heart of gold!
wub.gif
wub.gif

P.S. I'm not saying anything against mares, I own plenty of them, including two big riding mares.
rolleyes.gif

lyn_j said:
[SIZE=14pt]I am so loving those pics of Loren and his horse! I really doubt you have a cde prospect there but you certainly have a confidence building buddy for your little boy! Thats WONDERFUL![/SIZE]Lyn

452594[/snapback]

Rocky is only 7ish and will live a long time. Loren will surly out grow him, so I am thinking about what I can do with him once the boy is too big for him. I have been to a few CDEs as a scribe and would love to try it my self. So, Rocky might be fun to try with.
smile.gif

wub.gif
my gelding billy has the same comformation, the can drive just find, but all so please have his teeth floated before putting a bit in his mouth, hes very cute & congrats
wub.gif

aktion033.gif
bravo on saving him
aktion033.gif

Loren&Rocky said:
lyn_j said:
[SIZE=14pt]I am so loving those pics of Loren and his horse! I really doubt you have a cde prospect there but you certainly have a confidence building buddy for your little boy! Thats WONDERFUL![/SIZE]Lyn

452594[/snapback]

Rocky is only 7ish and will live a long time. Loren will surly out grow him, so I am thinking about what I can do with him once the boy is too big for him. I have been to a few CDEs as a scribe and would love to try it my self. So, Rocky might be fun to try with.
smile.gif

452610[/snapback]

wink.gif
THAT KIND OF RELATIONSHIP THEY DON'T OUTGROW! THERE ARE MANY

THINGS THAT MINIS CAN DO. LINDA B
yes.gif

You more than got your moneys worth with him.... he is a fantastic little horse and I sure can see he loves "his boy"....
wub.gif

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

Oh my gosh, what a wonderful guy you have there!

Even in the minis it can be hard to find a really good gelding "kid proof" soul to tolerate playing in the sandbox and being dragged around. He's prescious and you're so lucky to have him!

We feel lucky too. I didn't want to get a mini due to their size, but could NOT pass this one up. The way he hangs out with Loren is totally worth it.
wub.gif

Latest posts

Back