concerned about hoof

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mchalder

Reaction score
I have a 6 year old stallion whose frog disintegrated on his back hoof, I have done epsom, iodine soaks like my farrier recommended and also wrapped it. Now I finding him walking on his heel toe up. I don't understand why he is doing this

Attachments

• 293616693_1043242293220261_7994174763018786476_n.jpg
    293616693_1043242293220261_7994174763018786476_n.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 0
I would get an X-ray to be sure but I doubt there are live structures inside that front turned up part. But, it does look very odd and if I were your farrier I would definitely want to see what's going on inside. It probably just needs to be lopped right off but I certainly would NOT attempt that without X-rays. This would not be caused by thrush so soaking it and treating the disintegrating frog will probably not do much. It needs serious corrective trimming at this point.

Also should have asked, does he have any history of founder or laminitis? Did he have any injury or lameness in another leg that might have caused him to put excessive weight on this one? Or any abscesses in this or other feet?
I did contact my vet and farrier, as far as I know he doesnt have any other problems with his other hooves. He runs around like its nothing. So far as I have seen this is the only one he has problems with

Not really - I would just get the vet and farrier to work together to get it managed. X-rays will probably make the farrier a lot more confident to take off what needs to come off. It's hard to tell from just one pic but I'm guessing that his bony column is aligned OK under all that, and for whatever reason, it's basically a foundered foot growing out. It's great that he's not lame, it will probably be fairly easy to fix (may just need frequent trims for a while until it's growing down normally). Hopefully it looks a lot scarier than it actually is! And hopefully the vet and/or farrier can figure out the root cause.

Please do post back and let us know what you figure out! I'd love to see those X-rays!

Hello Mchalder! Xrays can sometimes be done on site where your horse is at, simplifying life. Our current vet doesn’t have that option so we trailer in my little mare Tiffany for periodic check. I’ve learned a lot about her hooves through these pictures. Best of all, the vet emailed them to our farrier who then knew exactly what he needed to know.

All the best with your little stallion! Horses can really be a puzzle!

I contacted my farrier, she stated that is hoof could use a trimming and looks like another abcess broke to keep soaking it in epsom salt and wrap it to keep it clean. I contacted my vet and he will be out to do an Xray. Our farm vets are scarce up here and extremely busy. Opie acts like it is nothing, he eats, drinks and continues to frolic, hoof is not hot or warm to touch and everything else is normal. I am puzzled and very stressed 😢. I never experienced this and I dont think I want to ever again, I can upload pictures and videos, he had a hard time this winter with weight gain, I think we got a hold of some bad hay. I have him on probiotics, fat cat, vitamin C and tribute senior sport. I was advised to give him like 5 solo cups a day. Please any advice is great but do not be negative as I am trying. I am not horse stupid, he is my third miniature horse and NEVER ever have I experienced this, he is just my first miniature horse I got at the age of 4 months and he has been doing great until now. on a positive note he is VERY active, vocal and a brat 😄

Yes he has more room to roam, this is the area so I can keep an eye on him

Attachments

• video-1658182590 (1).mp4
    5.1 MB
  • 294259516_397989968990811_6918285463052885384_n.jpg
    294259516_397989968990811_6918285463052885384_n.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 294615917_1102688497294513_6989562226694706604_n.jpg
    294615917_1102688497294513_6989562226694706604_n.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 295937184_1131190937808387_216660317974001431_n.jpg
    295937184_1131190937808387_216660317974001431_n.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 0
I think it's very good you're getting an X-ray, from the bottom it just looks incredibly overgrown. How long since the last trim? From the top you can see a huge abscess exit hole so I would bet that he just had a humdinger of an abscess and the capsule was almost lost. The X-ray will let your farrier trim to the internal structures and the hoof will probably never look quite normal due to the positioning of that exit (right at the coronet band, so he'll probably grow a line/wrinkle down that hoof from now on, but it shouldn't affect his soundness). But this will most likely just grow out and he'll be fine, is my guess, as weird as it looks right now. If the entire thing just pops off one day don't freak out! He's probably already grown horn over any exposed structures inside there, that happens really fast.

How long until the vet comes to do the X-ray? If more than a week or so, I might have the farrier out now to at least trim enough to keep leverage off the disconnected part and help it stay on as long as possible.

He's super cute. :)

You’re doing a great job mchalder and believe me when I say many of us have experienced a mysterious and worrisome health issue with our own horses.

There is so much experience and wisdom collectively on this forum you may feel overwhelmed with advice sometime! Like a big extended family where everyone is free to join in and does! 🤣

You have a handsome fellow and thank you for sharing! We learn together!

My goodness, thank you for sharing pictures and video @Mchalder. What an experience! It's definitely tender, isn't it? Handsome little turkey.

I think @Abby P has hit the nail on the head, in my opinion. The heel growth looks like perhaps he has had some interesting growth in the past - as you'd said, you have had some challenges with feed.

Please keep us updated. Your little man is on my mind.

here is my boy, Farrier comes out tomorrow and next the vet. This video is distorted so he looks odd, his spine doesnt stick out on in person. He has gained his weight back and he is full of energy. little devil is trying to bite and kick up his back heels. wish me luck, I love the little bugger and there is nothing I would not do for him

Attachments

• video-1659559189.mp4
    2.3 MB
here is my boy, Farrier comes out tomorrow and next the vet. This video is distorted so he looks odd, his spine doesnt stick out on in person. He has gained his weight back and he is full of energy. little devil is trying to bite and kick up his back heels. wish me luck, I love the little bugger and there is nothing I would not do for him
🙏 All will go the best with the farrier visit. Let us know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back