Computer Cameras for foal watch

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
I am curious who has cameras in the mares stall to watch her for foaling, that do not go online, just to the PC?

I would like information on them such as brands and also infrared wireless. Any recommended brands?

I have infared wireless security cameras that we do not put online... My husband bought them at Sams for me one year. They can hook up to a computer or to the television. We hook them up to the tv but we have really enjoyed them. I am sure others can be more helpful. I dont even remember the brand they are anymore
default_smile.png

After investing in a camera system and running the cable down to the barn so I could watch the horses remotely from my house (I live about 1/2 mile from the farm), the system "died" when my folks switched from Cablevision to Verizon. For unknown reasons, the system just wouldn't work.

Because I couldn't saddle my parents with ALL of the foal watching duties, my husband decided the easiest and cheapest way for me to watch was to put a computer in the barn with a small, cheap camera (around $30). I now watch them from any computer in my house as part of a Yahoo Instant Message Buddy. It works (mostly) great, I get a color image, which the expensive camera didn't offer and I have sound.

Thank you. I would love to have a system that I could hook up to my Lap top. I have time so maybe I can do some investigating.

Anyone else?

I think you're talking about the same item-- the only thing you're not doing is upload to streaming video.

So you want the same camera as everyone else, it's just the hook-up to your laptop that you're missing.

Any camera system will work. I can't recommend a wireless one because I use a wired one and keep the lights on in the stall. It cost $69 from Radio Shack and does have sound and color. I have 4 cameras.

Your laptop may or may not have the connectors you want. Figure out what your camera system ends in (opposite end of the camera) and get an adapter for it. Radio Shack cameras come with the red/yellow/white connector adapter referred to as RCA.

If your laptop doesn't have the RCA connector ports, then you need to an adapter. They can cost about $70 or more. Do a search on Amazon.com for a USB video adapter. (Assuming you have USB ports.)

I'm using the word "adapter" interchangebly here. When I speak about wires, an adapter is just something that plugs into one end of the cable and is different on the other (like a mini-din to RCA). A video "adapter" will take your analog video and make it something your computer can understand-- digital. This kind of adapter is a bigger piece-- maybe the same size as a cellular phone-- and has the right cables coming and going from it. You can also use this with your video camera to download videos to the computer.

I have the USB adapter going to my laptop for refreshing video and one for streaming video going to my desktop computer. I also have the camera plugged into a computer monitor that's not connected to a computer.

I will tell you that when I used my computer last year for the streaming video, it got overheated. So much so that I bought another one this year and am not using the laptop for streaming video. I would be very cautious about using a laptop again since it is harder to cool them.

I hope this helps.

Tracy

Latest posts

Back