Completely Heartbroken

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a mini dream come true

Reaction score
First foal for me and it was a red bag. I say red bag because of the position of the bag and the foals head,but then It might not have been. I missed the birth. Got home from work and April had her foal. Don't know if if it was red bag or just didn't get out of the bag. No warning signs, no bag, no milk,
default_no.gif
. I was really looking forward to this little filly ( i knew April would have a filly) read all the books watched all the videos I could find, got the camera for the barn, been watching her, but all the preparation didn't help when it really counted.
default_crybaby.gif
I did all saving measures I'd read about, clearing the nose, rubbing, water bottle breathing, it just didn't help. I feel like I really let April down by not being there when she needed me.

So sorry to hear of your loss. You did the best you could - nature sometimes doesn't allow us to be there at the right time. I pray that April is doing okay. ((( Hugs for you both! ))))

Oh no! So sorry to hear! It is heartbreaking. How is April doing?

If she had no bag or no sign of any milk, then maybe there was something else going on here. Did you take any pics of the foal that you can email me?

I am so sorry for your loss. If it had been a red bag, you would have known it for sure, because the bag it was in would be the placenta...bright red and thick, not just the white sac that surrounds the foals on a normal birth. Maybe she aborted pre-term? Or was she in fescue grass at all? Just trying to figure out why there were no signs, milk etc. Fescue can do that. Again, I am so sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png

Sorry for you loss, you did what you could, and the mare is fine. Might not have made any difference if you where.

Glad the mare is Ok.
default_no.gif

Oh no! So sorry to hear! It is heartbreaking. How is April doing?

If she had no bag or no sign of any milk, then maybe there was something else going on here. Did you take any pics of the foal that you can email me?

I did take a picture and will e-mail it to you. Thank you all for everything. April is doing fine and she was not on any fescue.

Sorry for the loss of your first foal. Our first this year was early due to a twisted cord. He still had another month or so to go. It can be so disheartning when we lose them and have done everything right. Nature sure has a way of letting you know that it is in control. Hope your mare is doing good?

April was bred when I got her and she was pasture bred so I didn't have a real good due date. I was trying to figure as close as I could from the information I had. The cord didn't appear to be twisted, Other than trying to save the foal all the other information went out the window. My hubby was late getting home because he had to bury a biggie that my daughter had lost the night before from a twisted gut. Just not a good couple of days.

I'm so sorry for your losses.
default_no.gif
Sometimes these things just happen and even if you'd been there you may not have been able to save the foal. Don't beat yourself up. {{{{HUGS}}}}

Very sorry for both losses.
default_sad.png
Hope your mare is okay.

I'm so sorry for both of your losses. Please don't beat yourself up. We can not be with them 24/7 in 99% of the cases. We try to watch all the signs we can but when the signs aren't there it's impossible to know.

Hugs to you and your entire family.

I'm so very sorry for your losses. It is a very hard thing to go through and non-horse people just don't understand that it's devastating. Hugs to you and your daughter.

I am so sorry for your lose, and I know you are feeling quilty,but you can't fight mother nature. You can thank goodness that you still have your mare. You can grieve together, give her a giant hug and kiss her nose. My condolences to you and your beloved mare.

Latest posts

Back