Community Service

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angel_cowgirl

Reaction score
In July the American Council of the Blind's (ACB) national convention will be in Louisville, KY and I'm president of one of the affiliates of ACB, the National Alliance of Blind Students (NABS). NABS plans to do a community service project, its something new we want to try. The convention is somewhere different every year and we've never tried to do this. We really have no way of knowing how many people will go.

Anyway, we really don't know what we could do or where to look for something to do. The goals of the organization involve helping and supporting blind students, so if it was something in the education field it might be good but at this point I don't think we really care, we just don't know where to look for ideas. I've tried doing a little research but really havent come up with much.

So, I guess my question is either A. what do you do in your community or B. any ideas for what we could look into or where to look for orgs. that need help?

Personally, I wish we could find something...rewarding vs. just stuffing envelopes but its not really a big deal what it is. Our convention coordinator just wants to do something.

Thanks in advance!

Community service is easy here because I am in a poverty stricken area. My local community was here for us so I have to give back to my community whatever I can.

There is a lot you can do if you just look around and see things that you think could use a little fixing.

You would be surprised how much help you can get if you just start something and then watch how many people will stand behind you and help.

When Michael died it was easy for me to see what had to be done in my immediate area to fix things and I had quite an agenda. First on my list was to help the volunteer Fire Department because Michael was a volunteer firefighter and the little guy would go out to fight fires with little to no training and bad equipment that wouldn't work. I started a little thing up here on that and took a long time but things are better now. The firefighters are also actually getting some formal training thank heavens now thanks to their new fire Cheif. We just need more volunteers and that is not easy to find anyone. I am hoping Dan will join up this summer. I'll post a picture of our old fire truck.......promise you won't laugh.

Then I went on another crusade to change the speed limit up here. That wasn't too hard but the problem then was getting enough deputys to enforce it. I will always be complaining about that.

I also helped a handful of people that had a very tiny animal rescue. I didn't start it........ it was already established but going nowhere. I helped them organize themselves better and to get some extra funding and supplies going and got discounts for them at the local stores for all the dog and cat food. I ran a thing one weekend where people could drop off extra cages, feed bowls, collars and leashes and I put donation jars all over the place. I organized an animal food drive in the schools but we had to cancel that because that is when there was that dog food scare which was tainted and being pulled off the shelves. I should try that one again this year.

In April, I will be speaking at the schools about SADD.....Students Against Drunk Drivers

Anyhow, what I am saying is yes everyone needs help out there every day. Sometimes it takes very little to get the ball rolling on projects. So if you cannot think of anything on your own, go to the Social Services in your area and ask what you can do to make a difference.

Good luck.

(I don't know why this picture will not resize down, I did it twice)

Promise you won't laugh! It's all we had but we have a much better one now

FIRETRUCK-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not pick a subject and go on local radio or TV stations and speak (inform) about that specific thing. Maybe do a fund raising for a community project that needs to be done in the area. Could they do a dance marithon and donate the money raised to a childrens hospital? If they couldn't dance maybe some of them could play the music or serve water, cookies etc? See if you could inlist a local college to supply the dancers.

Just a couple of thoughts. Our university does this every year and they have raised a lot of money for the childrens hospital.

in every nursing home theres always a few who dont get visitors or mail . just a few min of there time is usally greatly apreciated. there are also soldiers overseas who dont get letters or calls regularly. just someone who takes the time means alot. there are also people who send care packages to soldiers, and the cost of mailing is outragous, so if you could find ways to raise moneys to help cover just the mailing costs. [ can you tell I have aging parrents and kids in the military?] as Marty said sometimes its just finding a need and drawing attn to it. DR.

community service is something we see way too little *thumbs up* for taking the initiative

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back