comments on these feeds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawnsminis

Reaction score
I've been looking at both of these feeds for quite awhile now. I was hoping some of you might have tried both. Which one do you like better & why?

Thanks!

I dont know much about triple crown products, but Safe choice is a good feed. Its a 14% protein if you need that.

Ironically, the NSC (non-structural carbohydrate) level of Safe Choice is 28% (12% sugar, 16% starch) - nothing I would even consider giving to my guys. I've used TC Low Starch and have been happy with it - the NSC levels is much more acceptable at 15%.

Liz R.

For the longest time we fed Nutrena products...SafeChoice was one of them. We have switched to TC. A lot due to the fact that they are a fixed formula feed, but we are using several types of TC. Growth for our standardbred brood mares and my mini weanling/yearlings....Lite for the rest of the minis and we mix in the low starch for everyone and a little bit of the senior, as I have an old blind rescue B size mini. I like the TC products extremely well.....if you ever have any problems with any of their products, you just let them know and they are right on it.

Becky

we use safechoice
default_yes.gif

We started out using Nutrena's Lite Balance, but the vet said we needed to switch to 'regular' so we went to the Safe Choice and have been feeding that for about 4 months now. They love it.

We started out using Nutrena's Lite Balance, but the vet said we needed to switch to 'regular' so we went to the Safe Choice and have been feeding that for about 4 months now. They love it.
What was the reason your vet wanted you to switch to "regular"? I started using Lite Balance a couple months ago and would like to know the pros and cons of it.

For the longest time we fed Nutrena products...SafeChoice was one of them. We have switched to TC. A lot due to the fact that they are a fixed formula feed, but we are using several types of TC. Growth for our standardbred brood mares and my mini weanling/yearlings....Lite for the rest of the minis and we mix in the low starch for everyone and a little bit of the senior, as I have an old blind rescue B size mini. I like the TC products extremely well.....if you ever have any problems with any of their products, you just let them know and they are right on it.

Becky
I fed TC products. The TC-30 is the only one I had problems with. The bag tag wasn't accurate and come to find out the bags had sat around for a year before it was sold to me. I'm in Michigan. This may not be the case in other states. This happened with a number of bags purchased over a 9 month time frame. Triple Crown did give me a coupon for a free bag but when that bag came with the same inaccurate tag and the same OLD product I discontinued using it.

Hi ..I fed safe choice and also fed Light Balance..But I started feeding Natures Eccentials (Born to Win) and my miniatures love it and there hair coat feels like rabbit fur...There hooves grow better and there over all body condition is awesome..I love this stuff ..I wouldnt feed anything else...People comment on my horses soft shinny coats and ask all the time what I feed..I also feed a grass/alfalfa second cutting hay..I guess when you find something that works stick to it ....Irene

Windwalker Miniatures

www.freewebs.com/kolorspots

But I started feeding Natures Eccentials (Born to Win) and my miniatures love it
What do you feed with it, anything besides the grass/alfalfa? I tried Natures Essentials for awhile but never found a good balance that I liked. I hate cutting out the grain or pellets altogether, esp for the "working" horses (and I use the term loosely LOL)

I've been feeding Safe Choice or Safe & Sound, similar feeds/whichever I can get, for maybe 6 months now. Horses eat well, weight/condition is good, no problems with it. And with feed costs going through the roof, it's a little less expensive than what I was feeding.

Jan

Hi ..I only feed my minis 1/2 cup once a day except in the winter and then they get a full cup...It keeps weight on them and they look great...I just feed the Natures Eccentials by its self and a block of hay night and morning...I used to feed Natures Eccentials mixed with Omelene..But I dont like feeding mine all that sweet feed.....

Irene

I've been feeding Compete ( a Nutrena product) for about 6 weeks and really like how my horses are looking. The show string looks like they are being worked (and they just get turned out) all my horses are getting the same feed. It's a pellet and aimed at working/show horses. 14%. When my mares are closer to foaling I may change them to the Nutrena Youth feed as it works for young horses and lactating mares. I was feeding Strategy but had an opportunity to purchase the Compete through my work with a discount and decided to give it a try. The horses love it....and as I said they all look really really good, no bellies, hair coat is shiney and they feel great.

I was wondering about that too. I've never been able to find "the right thing." They are too wound up & mean on the ration balancer I have them on now. It's a good product (seminole equalizer) but I don't think I like the 32% protein...they have never behaved like this before & I know that's why. I've given it enough time (1 month) & just don't like it. I'm really afraid of anything more than 10-12% protein (for that reason & my vet says they don't need anything higher.) I've tried EVERYTHING out there & can't find the right balance. They're either too fat or too hyper. Just curious about the low starch & safechoice...i haven't tried any of the ones above 12%. I tried the nutrena litebalance, but not long enough to give it a chance. I really prefer something with beet pulp, but have tried ones without also. Tried tc lite, but they didn't like it too much. They seem to get fat on air & need just a handful to keep them happy, unless it was the ration balancer type feeds.

Thanks for all the replies,

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been feeding the safe choice for a little over a year now. The horses looked great for quite awhile but I don't like how they have been looking lately so am looking for a change.

Robin

I used Safe Choice for nearly a year and I started having trouble with hooves; very dry and frogs not so good. Fur also not as glossy. Triple Crown is not readily available to me in my rural area, though I did call and talk to the TC nutritionist and she was very helpful. So I can't compare Safe Choice with the TC products, but I do know I wasn't happy with Safe Choice.

I tried Safe Choice a couple years ago, and my horse's really didn't seem to like it much. TC products aren't readily available in my area. I"ve been feeding Progressive Nutrition products for over two years now, and just love them; I primarily feed the ProAdvantage grass formula (ration balancer) and the horses are doing wonderful on it (youngsters on up to seniors). I feed the ration balancer, BOSS, beet pulp (in winter) and grass hay (the senior gelding also gets some senior feed and whole oats). It seems like so little feed, just feeding the ration balancer, but they are looking and doing great on it, so I'll stick with it.

Luckily, I can stick with it, I recentely had a scare that I was going to loose my Progressive dealer, while he is moving, they are finding a replacement dealer for the area and should have one found before the current guy leaves.

Latest posts

Back