COMING SOON to a forum near you...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
I've mentioned this here and there on other people's threads, but I thought I'd make this official and really stick our necks out:

We just received confirmation for our registration at Happ's VSE DTT - that's Very Small Equine Driving Trials Twice -- this September 20-21. This is our very first baby step into the world of Combined Driving.

You can, of course, expect a wordy, susanne-style account of this adventure, quite different from Leia's reports as my stories are always those of two dorks and a mini genius.

Despite his proclivity for driving, Mingus is still very green at all of this, so who knows what excitement awaits us. I do know that he is well-conditioned and seems to love dressage (especially going deep into the corners -- he even does them when running free, then looks at me to see if I noticed).

Coming soon:

Will Mingus overcome his hatred for mud puddles and conquer the creek crossing, or will susanne end up in the drink?

Will susanne overcome chronic disorganization and manage to gather new cart, new bit, driving apron, whip, gloves, etc, etc before the big event?

Will viewers ever learn why she didn't get these things months ago?

How many tennis balls will remain on top of cones after our hero and heroine traverse the obstacle course? Will it take more than one hand to count them?

Will the ever-patient Leia tire of susanne's endless questions and run screaming into the night?

Will susanne, for once, actually have photos to share?

Stay tuned to this channel for the answers to these burning questions!

default_laugh.png
lol Susanne, you are too funny, I can't wait to hear all about you and Mingus at Happs. I am sure it will be an epic tale.

Yvonne

WOOT! Wahoo! YEAH! WOOOOO!!!! I am so excited to see Mingus in all of his glory! Ally and I will be there as well, I can't wait! We have a lot of things to work on before the big weekend however. Ally is SERIOUSLY afraid of cows, that is our big hurdle down at Happ's. And if there are Yaks about.
default_new_shocked.gif
We did pretty well at the MMMM, but her P&Rs were not good coming in at either point. The only reasons: 1. She HATES the walk section. And on the walk section at this event, we are coming in to the vet box on one side of the fence, while the section E folks are trotting in on the other side of the fence. What should come barrelling up from behind us while we are completing our section D (walk), but a big horse pulling a very rattly cart. Ally bolted, approximately 200' from the end. Yes, panic. Along with the attendant racing heart and fast shallow breathing. *sigh* 2. We were cleared for Section E after our ten minute hold, and did that in fine style, however approximately 200 yards before the end of section E, deep in the woods, is a little paddock full of, guess what, COWS! With horns even!!!
default_xreiter.gif
You can just guess from there what happened to the vital signs. Well, after three years Ally and I still have a LOT to work out. That's all I can say!

Will you be camping out? I will be, with my little mare in her luxury waterproof screen house and custom panel pen safe behind me. Depending on the weather, I will either be in my tent, or in the back of the horse trailer.

This is a big step, indeed, but you are all equal to the task(s)!

My best wishes and envy, but "you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!" (to quote a bit of poetry from my childhood)

L.

susanne said:
Will the ever-patient Leia tire of susanne's endless questions and run screaming into the night?
default_new_rofl.gif
Ohhhh, don't worry. *eyes gleaming* I'm getting my revenge at the beach this weekend...You wanted my input? I'm going to drill you so hard you're going to think information is coming out your ears!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_xbud.gif
Be careful what you ask for.
default_biggrin.png

Will susanne, for once, actually have photos to share?
She will if I have anything to say about it! Oh wait, I'm driving all day long.
default_unsure.png
Oops. Well, maybe if my mom has anything to say about it at my request.
default_wacko.png

I'm really looking forward to the VSE DT-T! but there is no way I'm going to promise a writeup of this event when I still haven't managed to post the one from last year.
default_new_shocked.gif
Kody has racked up a massive pile of ribbons over this summer that I so want to share with my forum family but unfortunately I've gotten so busy driving I never get around to writing up the stories anymore!
default_no.gif
I really need to swallow my pride, skip the big write-up and just post his results.
default_rolleyes.gif

I can't wait to see you and Amy and all our other friends at Happ's! Meanwhile...hi-ho, beachdrivers, away!!

Leia

Ohhhhhh I can't wait Susanne!!! LOTS of pictures..... Maybe after Falcon is gelded next year we can give it a whirl!

Oh my gosh you guys, I might actually get to come watch.............Ken and his brother are off on a motorycycle (adventure) ride......and frankly it didn't sound all that fun to me.......cause let's face it if I had to choose between the "iron horse" and a real, breathing, furry horse, I would opt for the 2nd one.

Suzanne, I will try to keep in touch with you or Leia and try to get times and stuff and I will even bring a camera or two with me......... gosh, I haven't gotten to any shows this year, so it would be fun to atleast get out & see some folks again.
default_laugh.png

Valerie

Oh Susanne can't wait to see results and pictures! Leia, you too!

You really,, really need to write a book on the adventures of Mingus! Sept 20-21 you say? What times are you on course?

This IS too funny!!!!!! You need plenty of extra people watching........One....no, TWO with cameras! (For two different angles). And one with a video camera to put the entire thing on U-Tube!
default_laugh.png

Oh man you guys up yonder have all the fun!

Would give a million bucks to see this all in person.

I can't wait Susanne!

Well, Leia, it sounds like I'd better get on memorizing that dressage test!

BTW, if anyone wants to explore this aspect of driving, you can download all of the ADS dressage tests from the Happs website, http://www.happs-inc.com We'll be doing Training Level Test 3, in case anyone wants to follow along...

Perhaps Leia or Amy could answer if they publish time of go before check-in on Friday? I don't know yet.

Amy, we'll be wimp-camping in the canopy of our pickup...hopefully with an air bed... Mingus has the grand suite -- make that a stall in the barn. I'll have to check out your screen tent/stall and pen -- we need something like that, as it would really help to offset transportation costs for future CDEs and shows.

Tell Miss (Ms.?) Ally that Mingus says cows are okay when they're standing around, but become quite dangerous and frightening when they lie down, lol!

Marty, when you come for the beach drive, you might as well stay two more weeks and go to the VSE-DTT, too. If the weather's nice, you'd get a good tan in that thong...

YEEEEE HAWWWW! FINALLY, Susanne!! I am SOOOO looking forward to hearing (and SEEING--somebody DARN sure better get some pics, of ALL of you PNW guys at this event!) ALL about it!

You have FUN, you hear? What a great thing to get to look forward to!!

Between Happs' events, and your beach drive, you guys surely make me wish I were a LOT closer to you---I'd join up in a heartbeat!

Remember--PICTURES!! Video would be great,too, but have mercy on those of us with painfully slow dialup, so---PICTURES, too!

Have an extraordinary time...and give that Mingus a big ole pat, and tell him Handy, Roy, and the others here send their best wishes on his 'grand' entrance into the world of equine competition!!

Margo

Shari said:
Sept 20-21 you say? What times are you on course?
Shari, we never know in advance at Happ's. We don't even know for sure which LEVEL is going to go first!
default_wacko.png
Show up as early as possible - 8AM is not too soon - and settle in to watch.

This is the single hardest event for me to take pictures of my friends at because all three phases are run in the same day. That means while I'm doing Prelim dressage Training Level is warming up, while Susanne and Amy are doing dressage I'm probably running cones, when they're running cones I'm off rehitching to my other cart for marathon, and then we're all effectively out on course together for marathon. It makes it very hard to play photographer as well!
default_new_shocked.gif
Bummer. I'll ask my mom to try and catch them too but she's usually following me around.
default_biggrin.png

WAIT!! I had a thought! (An unusual occurence, I know.
default_laugh.png
) I still have my old 6x Canon A700 which we only stopped using because my mom got her new 12x S5. I can give that to Keith and make him take pictures of Susanne and Amy!
default_new_multi.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Waahaha. My evil plot continues.

Leia

Leia, That sounds great, although I'm not too sure of Keith's photography skills... however, if he's backup photographer I'm sure he do fine by the end...

Hopefully Daryl will go at least one day, and I would guess that my sister, Carla, will go one day -- both are excellent photographers, but I have no idea which day each would attend. Perhaps if we ask really nicely, Daryl will videotape....

Wahoo Susanne, GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!!!!!! I'm sorely tempted to come cheer you on, but life's way too hectic those dates.
default_sad.png
If I could, I'd bring my video camera to put you on YouTube!!!
default_risa_suelos.gif

Hmm......... on second thought, maybe I should bring it to the beach.......

Kari

You should definitely bring your video cam to the beach, Kari -- you may have something for America's Funniest Home Videos...or blackmail, bwahaha...

Where's that Howdy Doody puppet when we need him?

Latest posts

Back