comic relief from NC

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintponylvr

Reaction score
We usually do quite a bit of work with our ponies as we ready them to drive. I've tried to do lots of desensitizing, obstacle work and objects on the ground, on the fences and held above our ponies. For some reason, we've never really done any work with umbrellas - no matter which book or video or clinic has suggested it.

Today, while working with a friend with our 2 1/2 yr old filly, it started raining. Her granddaughter had grabbed an umbrella and come out the to round pen and when the rain slowed down - we did a bit of work with it to end this filly's ground driving session and intro to a cart (which seemed to really bother her while wearing blinders!)...

13jan6gg501.jpg
13jan6gg526.jpg

13jan6gg524.jpg

13jan6gg529.jpg
At the end, it seemed like her look is just.... "...really??, sigh...".

ha ha, what they must think of us sometimes.

She looked like she coped well, what an opportunistic piece of training- nice work!

Thanks Everyone! I'm very happy with this filly. I purchased the mare w/ a colt at her side, pasture exposed to a solid color cremello stallion (sire of the colt at side). Boy was I surprised by this filly!! Obviously, no cream gene and a pinto (mare is homozygous silver and no Tobiano)... Had to do some scrambling to figure out what stallion sired the filly and re-do paperwork to get her registered. I paid for all of it...

I wasn't real happy with whom we firgured had sired her at first. BUT more research showed that he was siring some REALLY nice foals, and this filly is nice too. She takes after her dam in movement - low to the ground and sweeping rather than up high with lots of knee and hock motion. That's what I really like! Haven't "worked" her enough to really decide what her "work ethic" is going to be yet. Hope she takes after her dam there as well... Of course, she just followed along with her dam when going out driving with her as a foal - so she learned from the best at the right time.

I'm looking forward to having her actually hooked when she's ready. But not in a hurry - want to go slow and solid... You are right, opportunistic training at it's best with the umbrella.

She is stunning and I really like low sweeping movements in a horse. Hard to find now a days.

Latest posts

Back