Comfy Fit in Dishwasher

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Flats

Reaction score
Has anyone with a Comfy Fit Harness actually cleaned theirs by putting it in the dishwasher? I have seen posts where people talk about it as an option and it is also stated as a method for cleaning on Chimicum's website. What I want to know is if anyone has done it and what the results were. I might want to try it. It is cold out and I don't have hot water outside for scrubbing things that take more than a minute (maybe that is what I should ask for for Christmas!) I imagine you would turn the heat drying cycle off. Let me know if you or anyone you know has done it. I find my harnesses get dirtier in the winter because I am not bathing them and it's harder to get the dirt out of their long coat. Please let me know if you or anyone you know has done this with a Comfy Fit or any other synthetic harness. Thanks!

IDK, but growing up my Dad would cook fish in the dishwasher, what a weirdo!! …but I love him💕 LOL LOL 🤣🤣 He would wrap the fish in foil and he thought he was pretty clever to have a full load of dirty dishes with detergent and cook fish 😝😝 I know for sure I didn’t eat that, I was such a picky eater 🤣 so I can’t tell ya how it turned out 😝

I have heard you can put biothane in the dishwasher, I’m not sure about the heat cycle though.

So you could wash dishes, cook fish, and clean your harness all at the same time!!! I hope your harness doesn’t come out smelling like a fish!! 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
I heard that you have to put a fish in with the harness to get is truly clean! ;)

I would think it would be possible, but you may not want to use dishwasher soap / tablets. They may be too caustic. I would use a milk soap.

I like the idea of just using the shower. Closer to my summer approach of dish soap in a bucket and rinse off with the hose.

I know someone who puts her synthetic/biothane halters and bridles in the dishwasher, it works great.
Taz, thank you for your reply! I think I might try it. Rocko's harness gets pretty dirty because I am driving him regularly and when he sweats it gets salt on it too. Getting it nice and clean is not a matter of swishing it around in a bucket of soapy water. I have to use a scrub brush too and undo buckles to get it really clean. Annie only gets driven once or sometimes twice a week so hers lasts a lot longer.
In the summer I suppose I could try hosing it off after each use to see if that helps, but not sure if that gets all the salt and grime off underneath the padded areas.

I did use Dawn dish soap! There are some savvy people out there that put a couple of tablespoons of baking soda and a few drops of dawn dish soap in the dishwasher reservoir and NO SUDS, so I tried it and it works!!!! Came out beautiful. I'm sure the leather harness peeps are rolling their eyes right about now, but it only took me about 30 seconds to put it in there. See the before and after.20211208_150328.jpg20211208_175435.jpg

Sure do that if you want.. Here's the thing I learned. I would never fill the reservoir with dish soap, but I looked at the ingredients of my tablets and it has sodium carbonate in them. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate.

I found out that there are people who save money on tablets by running their dishwasher this way and prefer not to have all the chemicals in the tabs. I'm going to try it with my dishes. They said baking soda with a squirt of dish soap or a few drops.

Mine has the leather lining and patent. Bummer... Cleaning by hand for me still.

I did use Dawn dish soap! There are some savvy people out there that put a couple of tablespoons of baking soda and a few drops of dawn dish soap in the dishwasher reservoir and NO SUDS, so I tried it and it works!!!! Came out beautiful. I'm sure the leather harness peeps are rolling their eyes right about now, but it only took me about 30 seconds to put it in there. See the before and after.View attachment 45368View attachment 45369
That's it! I'm sold! I will forever be washing my biothane harness parts this way!

Latest posts

Back