Combined West Nile Vaccines

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
Just wondering if Fort Dodge is the only company right now that offers the combined WNV vaccines, or if Merial or Prevnile also may be offering them? Does anyone know for sure?? I would really like to try one of these combined types, but I prefer the coverage for WNV better for the other companies over FD. If only FD makes these, I guess I'll have to continue giving the separate ones, using one of the WNV vaccines I prefer. Thank you.

As far as I know Fort Dodge is the only company offering the WN vaccine incorperated in a combo shot. Since I don't like both their combo shots nor their WN vaccine I continue to vaccinate my horses with each shot seperately.

We gave shots on Friday to 22 Minis ranging in age from yearlings to 21, both mares and stallions.I used Prevenile from Intervet.No bad reactions here.We used Ft dodge Innovator 6 combo vaccines a few weeks ago and had 7 reactions from 14 shots.Next year I am going to try all Intervet vaccines and hope there are no bad reactions.We had some very sore necks and off gaits.I hate giving them shots so we try to do less jabbing.I have been very please with Prevenile.This is the 2nd year we have used it and have had no bad reactions ever. I like it because you only have to give 1 shot for coverage even if it is the first time horse have ever had West Nile vaccine.I called Intervet and talked to a vet and asked lots of questions.It is made not too far from my home here in Delaware.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the combo shot. Where did you buy your vaccines?

Thank you. I guess I'll be sticking to the individual shots here too then, and I would sure like to try the prevnile this year.

Minimor, if you read this, I know you said your vet can get the Prevnile now? Did you get a price? I want to compare it with what my vet tells me. I will call tomorrow.

Fort Dodge is the only combo I've seen. It sounds like you've made up your mind, but for anyone else who is gathering info, I've used the Fort Dodge WNV combo for years with absolutey no issues.

We have had problems with site reactions with Fort Dodge. I prefer to give WNV seperate and will be using Prevenile this year as I think a once a year injection has been long overdue.

I like Intervet vaccines and give their Presige V. I have never had a site reaction from them. They use a different modifier in their vaccine.

Fort Dodge is the only combo I've seen. It sounds like you've made up your mind, but for anyone else who is gathering info, I've used the Fort Dodge WNV combo for years with absolutey no issues.
Hi Jill. Yes, I have made up my mind. It it not that I don't like FD as a company or don't like thier products, because I do, and have used them with great success, but from everything I have read, the other versions of the WNV vaccines work better, giving faster, and longer acting protection, so that is whay I have decided to use that.

I used FD the first year, and had no ill reactions whatsoever. Two years ago I used the Merial for the first time, and I had bad reactions at the injection site on MANY of my horses, but all were OK. Last year, I again used the Merial, and had no reactions, so I know the reactions can and do come with all brands of vaccines. I just wanted to mention that, so people know I am not dissing FD.
default_yes.gif

default_smile.png

I have no particular loyalty to FD, but do use it often.

What I always think when we hear about the reactions some attribute to FD is that it's such a popular brand, and can be purchased at feed stores (where it may not be stored properly), and then add to it an injection proceedure that may be flawed (by administrator) and I think FD may get an undeserved bad wrap? But I don't know for sure
default_biggrin.png

What I read on the Prevnile was impressive as far as fast immunity, and in years past have used Recombitek too.

...and I think FD may get an undeserved bad wrap?
default_biggrin.png
I agree with this! I think because they were the first company, maybe that was why. I don't think there were near the number of actual proven circumstances attributed to it as there were claims.
default_no.gif

Fort Dodge had the first vaccine, and they still have the same exact vaccine now. They are the oldest out there. When they were the only option they were the best, but now they are not even close. Recombitek and Prevnile are leaps and bounds better than the protection offered by the Fort Dodge products. That and their high level of reactions (due to their adjunct) makes me not want to use any of their products anymore.

Latest posts

Back