Colts or Fillies?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CritterCountry

Reaction score
Just curious...I know fillies sell better, but what do you prefer to work with, colts or fillies? (as in babies)

Some people love girls more (me) but I know there are some that like the spunkiness of a little boy.

It will be interesting to see what people prefer ;)

This year, we got two fillies and one colt.

I was really happy to get the "girls" because I knew those were easier to justify keeping...

BUT, it's the boys I (and H) usually get the most attached to... this would explain why we have so many geldings and stallions.

Of our foals this year, our colt (who will be our new show gelding) is our favorite. He is just such a brat but it only makes us love him more.

That said, I'm hoping the filly fairy will pay us three visits next year -- and superstitious enough to wonder if saying so jinxes anything!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer the fillies
default_wub.png
Even as adults, I prefer the mares over studs and geldings. For awhile, all I had was mares to show(my choice to only have mares). Right now, I have 3 mares and 1 stud colt. I think I'll always have more mares then anything else
default_smile.png

~Jen~

I think it really depends on the horse, but i prefer fillys.

Oh, Just so you know, Traditionally "Colt" is used as a term to discribe a young horse, of either gender. Where a Filly is a female, and a Stud Colt is a Male, I learned this last year from a Equine Magior, i was supprised to hear that. But it makes since, if you were to watch older horse movies, or old westerns, they reffer to a young horse as a colt. One i know of is the Old Flikka, where they referd to flika as a colt.

I love working with colts, i like to have a yearling colt to show every year. Boys are my faver, but obviously i do not mind a few fillies. But i like the boys temperment ...i think colts, especially as weanlings are more "on" and goofy...while the fillies are just more relaxed and la-ta-da.

I have one mare, two geldings, and a stallion. Hands down it is my boys!

I have 2 geldings-love those boys!! They are so sweet, no hormones, just love bugs both of them!! I havent had a mare, but if i did, I'm sure i would love her too!!

I used to just love getting fillies, but the demand for our colts and stallions is so great that now I just want a healthy horse with great conformation.

We LOVE pintos, but even the solids are selling well.

I'm a filly person. Although I've only had one foal so far and of course she just happens to have the cutest personality that I can't help it! I'm sure if I have a colt, I would love him just as much! I would actually love to have a colt that I could geld and show.

I think it really depends on the horse, but i prefer fillys.
Oh, Just so you know, Traditionally "Colt" is used as a term to discribe a young horse, of either gender. Where a Filly is a female, and a Stud Colt is a Male, I learned this last year from a Equine Magior, i was supprised to hear that. But it makes since, if you were to watch older horse movies, or old westerns, they reffer to a young horse as a colt. One i know of is the Old Flikka, where they referd to flika as a colt.
That's a new one I've never heard of! I was always told/read that a colt was a male horse under a certain age, a filly was a female horse under a certain age, and a foal was either gender under a certain age.

I love them all, each for themselves.
default_smile.png

But I've always had a "thing" for the boys!
default_wub.png

I have always preferred fillies and mares. The last 2 fillies i have shown have been MUCH spunkier than the "boys" and a great challenge! jennifer
default_saludando.gif

I always have more FUN with the colts. But I love the swetness of the fillies.

Yes, traditionally they used to call ALL young horses colts, though it was incorrect. I am also majoring in Equine studies and though I haven't quite gotten that far yet, I do know that all female horses that are 3 yrs. of age and under are considered FILLIES and all male horses that are 3 yrs. of age and under are considered COLTS. And a stud is a stallion that is being used for breeding. SO, calling a young colt a stud colt is technically incorrect. But alot of that is just preference...most people will know what you're talking about whether you use one or the other.

Oh and me, I usually prefer fillies, but after 2 years of ALL fillies, I'm actually hoping for a colt or two next year
default_smile.png
They're such little characters.

I just like a healthy, happy baby. We only had one this year, and I've been waiting for this one a while, so it was a keeper either way. Breaking the stereotype, this year's filly is one of the spunkiest little babies I've ever had. And I've always liked them a little rotten, so it was a good year for me.

We also bought a mare with a colt by her side, and while I do *not* need more boys (the reason many people keep their fingers crossed for fillies) he's the only horse on the farm that prefers me to food. So he's staying too.

Same thing next year; if they're healthy and happy I won't be disappointed.

I have 3 mares and a yearling colt. 2 of my girls are pocket babies (the other one only likes my neice). They will both follow me around and bug me till I pet them. My colt is a doll too. He lives in his own pen but I like to let him out daily with the girls for some relax time. they get that buddy chew thing going on and some running and bucking. My colt then goes back in his pen very willingly. I have had filly's, mares, colts, studs and geldings. I think I lean more to the filly and mare but the boys I get are always worth the extra work.

Mine seem to be just the opposite from everybody elses. I had 1 colt and 1 filly, the filly is 2 months older and she was quite spunky but seems to have calmed down a bit now. The colt is really mellow right now (like his sire) but I know that will probably change.

Leslie

I LOVE ALL MY BABIES, BUT MY BOYS ARE IT! YOU CAN BET THEY'RE GOING TO DO SOMETHING DON'T KNOW WHAT OR WHEN, JUST THAT THEY WILL. MOST OF THE TIME THE GIRLS ARE SWEET AND LOVEABLE, ONCE IN AWHILE YOU GET ONE THAT GIVES THE BOYS A RUN FOR THE MONEY. AREN'T THEY GREAT!

I guess it just depends on the temperment for me. I love geldings and my stallion is the sweetest man ever (Cross Country Mr. Natural). I love mares too though like this little filly i showed this year (Curry's Estrellita). We have two colts right now and one filly i am working with for next year and I love them all. They all have such different personalities, but I think we have a good crop this year.
default_laugh.png

Chasta

Last edited by a moderator:
With my saddle horses, I have always preferred geldings; I've owned 3 mares and 4 geldings over the years, and hands down the gelding won. However, when I got into minis, the little mares and fillies have won my heart; I love my stallions, but these little mares are something else.

5 years ago, last time I had foals here, my two saddle mares foaled, one a colt (Rebel), the other a filly (Sassy). For the first week, both were little terrors, then the colt turned into a pocket pet and I haven't been able to get him out since; good thing, too, cause he's now over 16H tall.
default_new_shocked.gif
[it took about a year for the filly to mellow out and be a sweety.]

Latest posts

Back