Colts becoming stallions.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefall

Reaction score
Been doing a lot of thinking the past few weeks. My stallion is one that needs consistency in training. So I have been wondering when you have colts, do you think that if handled and trained as babies that it makes a difference when they become stallions? I mean as youngsters, if they haven't been taught and handled/played with by humans that they will be much harder to train when they are older? Does it make much difference at what age they are trained?

Hope this makes sense...............LOL

Thanks!

Well I think YES! ALL animals benefit from proper training as a youngster.

I personally don't "believe in" the practice of "imprinting"... and I do think some overhandling as youngsters makes for a pushier, more spoiled animal in the long run.

Most animals have a basic personality, and that you cannot change.

However, BAD HABITS are much quickly learned and a lot harder to break... so an older animal is more likely to have already created bad habits that you didn't have control over, and it will be harder for you to break and frustrating to the animal.

I feel that raising and handling a horse properly from the start (regadless if it's a MARE, GELDING OR STALLION) is important.

Andrea

Edited to add:

I sort of interpret from your post you are referring to neglecting to handle a colt while it is young, and letting it just be "wild" for a while and then hoping it's not hard to "train" it as a mature stallion?

Just remember, with domesticated animals that you want to "do something with" or "train to do something" it is going to be easier when it's an impressionable baby. The baby can learn your language easier than a mature horse trying to figure out your language. Isn't it easier if a foal learns that in our world, you get clipped, bathed, trailered, led, whatever and that's a routine part of life... rather than introducing uncomfortable and potentially scary things to a mature horse that hasn't had to deal with it. Most animals (including humans!) are basically lazy and would prefer not to work or pay attention. Soooo if the animal (or human!) has been allowed to be lazy and not pay attention for most of it's life or childhood, it's going to be a rough transition I'd think.

I dunno, that's my philosophy on it at any rate....

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't spend a lot of time with our weanlings, but they learn early that biting and kicking are not acceptable behavior. None of them get bathed or body clipped until the spring of their yearling year. They do, however, have to have halters, lead and get their feet worked on and this starts soon after weaning. We also do not imprint our horses. We let them with the mothers so that they can learn to be horses and get the proper training from 'Mom' until weaning. After weaning we work with them a little because we do want to correct the habits we don't want, we just don't do a lot of other things till they are nearly one because I feel that it is hard enough for them to learn the necessary stuff (worming, vacinating, hoof trimming ect) and will try to wait with the other stuff until they understand the basics.

This is one of the reasons I like to make sure all 2 year old colts breed at least one mare- I prefer them to go into a proper routine but at least one.

The training starts there, when they are at their silliest, if I have not raised the colt myself, and it can get pretty hairy, I can tell you.

They are for worse than a teenager and often a lot sillier too!!

If a colt even knows which end of the mare to approach I feel I am ahead on points.

It is hard enough with the tinies I have today but imagine the same routine with a Warmblood, Anglo or Arab colt and you see how I spent my youth!!

If a colt is correctly handled and correctly "trained" in the breeding yard he takes his manners out into the world with him- a few of my colts went on under saddle and were stars, behaviour wise, and I am certainly the ground training had a lot to do with it.

"Training" should start the day the colt is born but basically this is not an ideal world so it starts as soon as the colt is in my barn.

Thank you all for the replies. I don't think my stallion was worked with or taught much of anything from the person I bought him from who raised him till I bought him. He really has no manners whatsoever. He does lead, but that is about it. He keeps his head on me all the time, as in mouth always touching me. Yes that includes my coat in his mouth not nips, those he has saved for my leg BUT he gets reprimanded for both, I realize its my fault since I haven't really "worked" with him.

He's been with the girls 24/7 till a few weeks ago so I just let him do his job.

I finally got a book about horse whispering to try to understand his body language and mine and what not to do. He's just very persistent.

That is what got me to wondering, if he hadn't really been taught much or worked with if this is why he is so hard to teach?

The previous owner called him "animated" yes he is to say the least.............
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I do eveything with my little guys. I don't imprint I am just there. I don't interfere at all unless the situation calls for it. I teach all my babies reguardless of what sex to tie, lead, stand for trimmings, get baths, and get clipped. Whistle Firefall if you need help or have a question. I am over that way regualrly visiting your neighbor. I would be happy to help.

outlaw

We do some of all of it, gentle handling as a wee baby, trimming feet at 4 weeks old, halter breaking and lots of interaction with other babies and the other brood mares for socilization, herd socilization by being pastured with like aged and sexed babies etc. etc..

It seems to us to make a big difference particularly when they start to go into the yearling and 2 year old stages where the hormones run wild and they all act out a little.

I also agree that temperment both good and bad is something we see in different lines of horses. Some are just naturally more laid back, others seem to typically be more high strung. But in all cases the early training adds value to the end result of a mature, well behaved metally sound horse.

:saludando:

i think this is where the importance of breeding comes in. too many times people buy a colt without ever having seen the sire. (or sometimes even the dam) I have never bought a colt from a sire i have not seen. Just like i want to see good conformation, I want to see a good disposition on both the sire and dam. Once years ago i almost bought a breeding to a very popular stallion. I went to see him show and i was shocked. He was nasty, mean eyed and just an all around poorly dispositioned stallion. No way would i breed to him even though his conformation was stellar and he was many time grand champion.

I think the impact of a colts up bringing starts once the day he sets foot on this earth. Every foal needs basic training IMO thats a given. Colts I feel like need to start learning some respect towards people when it is young enough to be tought. Of course let them be babies, but don't let them get into some bad habbits with yourself.

I had a stallion who you know that was never handled properly and was very scared of humans, whoever trained him scared him to death when he was younger. I tried desperatly to learn humans are not all that bad, and I got him to where he wasn't so much scared of me, but anyone else new he would go off running. I have 2 stallions now, both are wonderful boys, defintelly had some good training when they were younger.

Hi!

Well.... I actually really enjoy my boy babies and stallion.... I like the challege...... The main thing is that they have to have respect! If there's NO respect..... you have nothing....... They know to respect my space... I'm strict....... But I also reward (alot) with treats (daily) and they get messed with/talked to EVERY day! Just having them being tied up, brushed, clean out their feet, clip thier bridle path.... Something.... where they are being handled and messed with..... helps... I also clean thier stalls/pens every day. And I think that helps. They get to know me better, vise versa.

BUT....... I also need to ad.... that a horse can read people most the time MUCH better than a person can read a horse. So horses can pick up VERY quickly if they know more than thier owner! If they sense fear or a person scared...... depending on the horses personality (and smarts)... they can learn to be dangerous or the "alfa" horse real quick like! Everyone knows I'm boss mare here,,,,, but are also not scared of me and are very happy to please and are all very people loving minis!!!

My two cents worth. I believe that all animals, especially horses, are much like children in behavior. You will get from them what you expect from them. If you show them you are boss and to respect you and don't "put up" with their silly behavior, then you get respect and compliance from them. I love my little herd but I won't tolerate nipping or rearing or kicking - at all -period.

Training and handling have the most influence but I have to give some credit to breeding too. We got our stud at 1 1/2 yr old. He seemed so laid back and only had to be corrected for nipping on occasion. He would stand for clipping and learned quickly about feet being handled. He was a joy where I anticipated a "stud" to be a pain! I thought perhaps the breeders had "worked" with him. However, this past spring one of his colts showed the same tolerance for clipping and handling with the lady where he was born and this lady has all kinds of problems with handling her other horses.

Latest posts

Back