COLT in Trouble...Please help...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't mean to sound mean from my end either, just trying to stress the seriousness of his condition and how he needed to be seen by a vet. It shows that she was online last night. I hope that everything is ok, would love to have an update as well and hope he was seen and have an educated guess as to whats wrong.

hopefully she got him to a vet in time, I would even recommend the small animal vet, even if they are not as experienced they can at least draw blood and either run it or send it, do IV fluids and get a listen, feel of him and they all had to go through large animal in school so would have some knowledge, books ect. I was wondering if he could have been overdosed on the dewormer, I did that to a kitten once and he was very wobbly and showed neuro signs, think it would have been over by day 3 tho but just a thought if he is that light it is hard to calculate on the dial syringes. If you are reading this thread and have a minute please keep us in the loop we are all rooting for your little man
default_wub.png

Hubby tells me I'm like a dog with a bone, I won't let go, I'm stubborn and determined. But on the other hand I'm compassionate and understanding, maybe her computer is down due to storms, or some other problem. Any way, I think I need to let go and just let it hide. Nothing now is not good in my opinion, and I've been lurking and checking in all day.

so, I'm letting it go!

Hope he is doing okay. I understand your reluctance to take him to the vet, gas prices are crazy high and vet bills are the worst.... but if hes not getting any better, it is needed. Even a small animal vet is better than nothing. I would body clip him and give him some electrolytes in the meantime. Im also assuming you may be upset that someone brought up he may be malnourished... I know a lot of yearlings(mini and fullsized) that are gawky and area little "hippy", even with being fed quality feed/hay. Its hard to tell at that age with all the fur. But, the point is, I dont think anybody was trying to put you down, but just trying to help you and your colt. People can come across as "criticizing" on here, but most of the time that is not their intention! There are some of the most compassionate people on this forum
default_smile.png

Hope you decide to give us an update! We are all worried, and we are here to give support and guidance to you if needed to help you with your colt.

Even if the colt passed away, we'd all like an update. As I tried to suggest a few times, NONE of us here can make any sort of diagnosis without seeing the patient, and even then most of us are not licensed vets with tools such as labs for blood work and such. How could any of us even know if the horse was underfed without even a picture?

Anyway, moving forward, I hope that this can serve as a wake up call to anyone who does not have easy access to a vet, to plan ahead for emergency events.

Every circumstance is different; maybe you don't have a trailer. So find a friend or neighbor or rental facility. Get numbers of vets, no matter how far away.

Animals cannot talk, so if they are suffering, sometimes suffer quietly. They are at our mercy for proper care. They don't ask or choose to be too far away for medical help, or to be stranded somewhere without a way to get to help. As animal owners, that is an ethical decision we must consider. Personally I would not own a pet that I couldn't do such for, but others might be comfortable with it.

I am fortunate that I have a ton of vets within minutes, and I do have them out for even minor things like a spider bite or mild colic. I always let my vet know I appreciate them!

Disney Horse I so agree! I can only hope that this persons computer has gone down, or some other problem, so I don't have to think the worse!

I have a bit of an update for all of you. I emailed the OP and asked about her colt. This is the rteply I just received...

I am sorry for leaving everyone hanging, I have not Internet access for a while but I can receive emails through my phone. Thank you for checking on him- he is doing great! We kept him by himself and checked with a vet- his back left leg was actually the problem. I'm not sure if he got kicked or what but he limped for a few days but is moving fine now. We think he must have gotten dehydrated after laying in the sun and then got weak... As soon as I have access I will post on the page and a picture of him. Thank you again for your concern and most of all your help! Jamie
YAY!! GREAT NEWS!!
default_thumbup.gif

Soooooooooooooo glad to hear. It's sooo scary when our animal family hurts.

oh thank you soo much Mona
default_smile.png

and Jamie, I am so glad your little colt is doing so much better! WOW

would love to see a piccy when your internet is back up and running, poor little kid.

default_thumbup.gif
Wonderful news!!! I was so worried b/c we had'nt heard anything. Quite frankly I thought I might have scared you away....my apologizes. I usually mean what I say....I just dont mean to type it!! Oh, this happy news has made my day, thanks Mona for letting us know.

Power of Prayer does it again!!

Oh brilliant news - thanks Mona for letting us know. What a relief!

I'm so pleased for you Jamie and for him of course.
default_yes.gif

Like so many others, I was quite worried not to hear anything back; SOOO glad to hear the good news! And THANKS, Mona, for taking the initiative to try to find out what had happened...much relief for all, most of all the owner, I'm sure!

Margo

Glad to hear that he is doing better.I do not post often,but I think this site is incredible.Most of us who read and post here do not know each other, but we are all bound together by the love we have for these amazing little animals.For Mona to take the time and effort to reach you to find out about the health of your baby kind of says it all about this site and the people who are involved and who visit here.I have learned so much here and feel so blessed that we can all share our knowledge with each other.Keep us posted about your baby and pics as soon as you can.

Major relief! Thanks Mona, for finding out the good news.

Back