COLT in Trouble...Please help...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stop guessing what this might be and get that poor little guy to a vet STAT!

I agree, get him to a vet. Nothing else I could say hasn't already been said, but dunking his whole face in water is nothing I've ever seen a horse do on purpose.

ok, guys, just a reality check here. We don't know anything for sure. Weight is often miscalculated, 60lbs does seem awfully small but how is she guessing that weight? does she have a scale? How is she estimating?

You said a small animal vet....Does this vet know about equine problems? Sounds nuro to me, could be viral, or a toxin. An Equine vet could run the tests needed to rule out what ever, such as West Nile, EPM, etc. where as a small animal vet may not be able to diagnose. Since I too live in the boonies it takes our vet an hour or more to get here, depending on the traffic through town, but I would opt for the equine vet. Wish you little guy the best!

I agree- GO TO THE VET. We live 45 minutes from our clinic (can make it there in 30 with no traffic- it gets slow in Weatherford) and have raced horses there several times.

The only horse I had that did that was one of the aforementioned run-to-the-clinic horses. She was a 9 day old foal who was not eating and just dunking her head. She ended up having salmonella posioning. They saved her and she's a sweet mare now.

Just checking in to see what the vet said
default_pray.gif
:pray

Im really trying hard to be nice here.....please get this horse the help he needs if you havent already. No one here or any other horse web site can help you with your horse at this point....its a waste of time....he needs a hands on exam by an equine vet please please!! You came here looking for help and answers, we applaud you and we have all taken the time and given you OUR collective thoughts. All we can do for you now is pray that you listened to what was said and pray for your little one!

I just want to add that I/we would appreciate it if you could keep us updated...its the only way for all of us to learn and help others, thanks

I hope you and you boy are doing ok. I know this is very hard and I'm sorry you are going through it. Please remember we are here to help and to learn no matter what happens.
default_pray.gif
default_luck.gif

Well I sure hope this little fellow is on his way to the vet clinic and that is why we have not heard anything. I also only knew one horse that dunked his whole head like that and he had a neurological problem and had to be put down when he went blind and fell and could not get back up. Hope this little guy comes out of this ok.

I suspect something toxic is going on with the little guy....... Hope the vet can help.

yes can we please get an update on your little guy? we may sound harsh but we are really concerned for your baby, poor little thing! I'm really hoping you guys are at the vets and they are able to help him
default_sad.png

I agree, he needs to see a vet. One thought...I had a nursing mare one year, in the HEAT of summer would get wobbley, we would have to help her into the barn, almost unaware of her surroundings, etc. As she ate her grain she would slowly return to normal. Turns out she was having low blood sugar attacks. At first vet was thinking brain worm as horses can pick it up from White Tail Deer.

I'm your neighbor right over the Georgia line. I would be more than happy to help you locate a vet as close as possible to you with equine experience if you message me. I can call some friends down there and see who they use. You really do need him to see a vet that works on horses, and ideally miniatures. I am also very rural and know its a pain to haul but his life is at risk. His height and weight that you describe doesn't sound right. Can you post a picture of him?

I can also tell you that we have had extreme heat yet again this week with terrible humidity and heat index of 109 so I do suspect heat stroke is involved, alone with other possible problems that may be going on. Zimecterin Gold is very powerful also so that can be related as well. I'm hosing my horses each about twice a day and they are in the barn under fans during the heat of the day. I'd highly suggest heat relief by shaving off his hair coat with electric clippers. You can get them at Tractor Supply or maybe borrow some but that hair needs to come off and he needs to be hosed down using a sweat scraper to get the water back off of him. Don't let the hose water sit on him and do not apply towels. Be sure he has plenty of shade and safe shelter and stays in it out of the heat and running fans on him is a big plus. His water needs to be clean and fresh and cool. Watch that he is not dunking himself as said, he can easily drown at this point in a bucket.

I'm very sorry about all this and hope he's going to be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
He put his whole head in the water up to his eyes and sometimes over his eyes probably a dozen times (never seen a horse do this??).
The only horse I ever saw do this was a mare who was in terrible pain despite sedatives and medication. She did not make it - but I hope your little guy is doing okay!

Bellas Babies

I also live in GA and heat and humidity has been extreme. I feel your colt is in serious condition and you need some help from a vet to get him better.

I have found two vets in your area. I hope this helps and is not to late.

Screven County Veterinary Services

715 W Ogeechee St, Sylvania, GA 30467 » Map (912) 564-1121

Blount Jr Carl A DVM

634 W Ogeechee St, Sylvania, GA 30467 » Map (912) 564-7401

I know a few people on here expressed some very opinionated responses. I hope you didn't take it the wrong way. They are just concerned and know that with horses they can go down hill VERY FAST once they are sick. And this heat and humidity is making it worse. So seeking help is something that needs to be done ASAP.

Hopefully one of these vets can help you out now and in the future. It is always a good thing to have a vet you know and trust.

Please let me know if there is any other way I can help. I am a little over 3 hrs from you but you can email anytime with questions. I/we hope to hear a good update soon. We have all been through something like this and just want to be there to help and support you with what you are going through.

I have to be honest here, if someone made an offense here I didn't see it. Personally I'm worried to death, and have come in the house several times today to check on this thread. If the owner is offended in any way I'm sorry, but it doesn't stop me from my worry! I can only hope that the worst has not happened and they are beside themself, this is a serious situation and should be addressed. If they don't update us soon, I feel that the worst has happened! So sad for them and the little guy. I'm trying really hard to be hopeful, but no update has me so worried.
default_please.gif
default_ohnoes.jpg

Latest posts

Back