colours and changes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Chanda! You said it much better than I could........ Oh! And you mentioned a color I'm not familiar with! "PEARL". I think I better look that one up.
I’m just shocked and amazed with all the progress in color genetics! It’s all fascinating! I found a site that refers to the pearl gene as a “coat dilution modifier”. Here’s the link: Animal Genetics

Thank you Chanda! You said it much better than I could........ Oh! And you mentioned a color I'm not familiar with! "PEARL". I think I better look that one up.
Pearl is on the same gene as cream. Pearl is recessive and only "shows" if homozygous or mixed with cream. As they are on the same gene together; a horse can not be both homozygous cream and homozygous pearl at the same time; but can be any combination otherwise: CrCr, Crprl, prlprl. Pearl is denoted in lower case, as it's recessive and only shows when homozygous or mixed with cream. [If I recall correctly, you might also see it called "Barlink Factor", as it was found in the AQHA stallion Barlink, then they discovered the gene and that it wasn't as uncommon as once believed (I can't recall what all breeds have it, but some quarter horses do and I think, Iberian breeds).]

Thank you Chanda. I went into the Animal Genetics site that mrichmond mentioned. It said much the same thing. For me, it just adds one more thing to figure in when "eye-balling" a horse's color. <sigh> Guess this means Dr. Sponenberg is going to have to update his Horse Color book! 🙂

All I meant was if you have two horses of the same genotype it doesn't matter if one is a large horse and they are calling the color liver chestnut with a flaxen mane/tail, and because one is a miniature horse they are calling it chocolate with a flaxen mane/tail. Sigh, it has been many years since I've study color genetics, but no worries, I'll see myself out.

Reactions: Taz
I wasn't trying to imply determining a miniature foal's color was easy. Just that there are genetic rules all horses follow and usually the biggest hurdle to determining color is mislabeling of color. Thankfully, I don't breed anymore.

Dragon Hill...... Guess what?! I have NEVER referred a mini as a "chocolate"! I would label it as a liver chestnut! (Sort of like when people call a miniature pinto a PAINT! )
I've not used "chocolate" either.
Usually, "chocolate" is used in I believe it's Rocky Mountain horses in reference to silvers (I think silver bay, but not sure).
Australian's used "taffy" to refer to silvers.
The color genetics group I"m one always comments with "chocolate is a food, not a color". ;)

I have one I’m curious about! He’s two years old, they say he’s a palomino and I think I agree with that, but I’m curious if maybe he will lighten, darken, grey or roan out, or maybe he’s some sort of rare palomino I’ve never seen before 😂
I adopted him from a rescue and him and a black mare are coming to me in a couple of weeks!
This is him this summer:
D2526C58-B796-49A6-AD86-2CDE44E480F0.png
and this fall:F8CE9A07-6B86-4ABC-8276-A6E2CA353048.png

Latest posts

Back