colours and changes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you clip him or is he shedding out like that?

He is shedding out like that with the help of a lot of rubbing :) Both of them are the color of the AZ dirt right now.

He is the sweetest little thing. He loves attention!
He looks like a sweetheart, love the picture of him with the big horse!

I’m new to all the colors these days, too. I had Appaloosas as a kid and then solid color horses as an adult. I’m completely perplexed about our new little guy. Mom is a gray pinto, Dad is a leopard Appaloosa. He has sorrel on his head, neck and ears, mane and tail, a bald face (pinto?) and what looks like a big blanket over his rump. Both of his eyes are blue. The breeder said she thought he was overo but I think he has both pinto and Appaloosa going on. Just out of curiosity, I’d like to have him genetically tested to see what all shakes out. We won’t have him and his brother until they’re weaned in October. His half-brother by the same stallion is the liver chestnut colt in my avatar.
A196A9A4-C6B1-486E-9571-4C4B7426F526.jpeg

It sure wouldn't hurt to have him color tested, if you TRULY want a definite answer. The breeder may be partly correct. He could be an Overo - Pintaloosa. The bald face is what could indicate Overo. Color genetics in minis can be perplexing, but fascinating at the same time.

I would guess pinaloosa but I'm just guessing. I LOVE his colour! 😍 What a cutie pie.

So, since Sally and Sterling pretty much look the same, except Sally has some Appy traits, is there any guess on what Daddy was color-wise? I had no idea that mini color genetics was different than horses.

So, since Sally and Sterling pretty much look the same, except Sally has some Appy traits, is there any guess on what Daddy was color-wise? I had no idea that mini color genetics was different than horses.
We saw his daddy, who was a loudly-colored leopard Appaloosa. I think his base color was dark chestnut or sorrel. I’ll try to get a picture the next time I go to see them. His mom was a gray pinto.

Edited to ask, what color do you call Sterling? He looks like a dark champagne, but I so new, I really know nothing, lol.

Attachments

• BFFA8C85-AC33-41B7-89A8-5D3F18741187.png
    BFFA8C85-AC33-41B7-89A8-5D3F18741187.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
I don't think you can tell anything about daddy other than he wasn't a more dominant colour. If you did genetic testing on both of them and found something Sally doesn't have then you would know where he got it from?

No worries, everyone is welcome! :D I would love to see a picture of his dad and want updates on how they're doing and pictures and anything else please, although I think we're supposed to stay somewhat on topic so colours and pics here and the rest on your thread so we don't get in trouble? I'm really bad at staying on topic🤣. Both your boys are beautiful!!

I don't think you can tell anything about daddy other than he wasn't a more dominant colour. If you did genetic testing on both of them and found something Sally doesn't have then you would know where he got it from?

No worries, everyone is welcome! :D I would love to see a picture of his dad and want updates on how they're doing and pictures and anything else please, although I think we're supposed to stay somewhat on topic so colours and pics here and the rest on your thread so we don't get in trouble? I'm really bad at staying on topic🤣. Both your boys are beautiful!!
Thank you so much! I’m the same way! I’ll do my best to put things where they are relevent. 😁

We saw his daddy, who was a loudly-colored leopard Appaloosa. I think his base color was dark chestnut or sorrel. I’ll try to get a picture the next time I go to see them. His mom was a gray pinto.

Edited to ask, what color do you call Sterling? He looks like a dark champagne, but I so new, I really know nothing, lol.
The mare looks silver black pinto, not grey, different genes at play.
It's quite possible Sterling is red pintaloosa, and the appy genes are causing some color shift, it's hard to tell with so much white.

The vet said both Sterling and Sally are silver dapples. He is really lightening up. Sally was a complete surprise. When we first got her, she was a shaggy multi-colored little thing. The rescue thought she would shed out to palomino :)

Your little guy is absolutely adorable!!!

The mare looks silver black pinto, not grey, different genes at play.
It's quite possible Sterling is red pintaloosa, and the appy genes are causing some color shift, it's hard to tell with so much white.
Thanks, I’m learning, but not as quickly as I’d like. I think the DNA testing is definitely in order, even though we plan to geld them both when it’s appropriate.

Oh, Sterling is Holly Chisholm’s colt in the post above mine. We’ve decided to name our little guy Cody and his brother (my avatar) will be Theo.

Color genetics for large horses, ponies, and miniatures are the same. They follow the same rules. The only thing different is the names they call the color.
Not exactly. Genetically and scientifically, the terms are the same across all breeds of horses; but regionally, by breed and colloquial names are different, and sometimes the same word is used to describe very different genetic colors, so sometimes it "safer" to stick to genetic names rather than colloquial names.
Minis don't follow the rules exactly, well they follow the rules, it just that almost every equine color is possible in minis, and they like to mix them together making it more difficult to discern the colors. Off the top of my head, I think the only genetic color not in miniatures is Pearl. Minis can be pretty much any other color and combine them in pretty much any way you can imagine. And, mixing pinto and appy genetics in minis is often sought out, where as it's a bit frowned upon in the big horse world.

Latest posts

Back