colours and changes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taz

Reaction score
I think I'm where I'm supposed to be now. I'm really hoping some of you will take pity on us stressed out waiting for foals and post here. Give us something else to do and think about..please!
Anyone with pictures of foal fuzz and then after shedding out AND what colour they are? Anyone that wants to share a picture of their little one any age and tell us what colour they are? Anyone with a little one any age who wants to know what colour they are?

I'll start it off....
IMG_20200602_184234.jpg
This is Oliver. 2 years old and 28 inches. Super sweet energizer bunny. I have no idea what colour he is, can someone tell me? LOL That's my mother feeding him a carrot, it's the ONLY way to keep him still.

HA HA...TRICKY! Red (Sorrel/chestnut) with white socks? Of course, not knowing the parentage makes it awkward...The socks could be hiding either a silver gene or show a pinto gene? (We have a black mare with minimal white - mostly on her legs and she has thrown two fillies -- BOTH pinto!)

I found this in an old horse color book. This one is called chestnut taffy. I believe taffy is the name that was used for what we now call silver. So, Oliver may be a chestnut silver. :)IMG_20200610_115703.jpg

HA HA...TRICKY! Red (Sorrel/chestnut) with white socks? Of course, not knowing the parentage makes it awkward...The socks could be hiding either a silver gene or show a pinto gene? (We have a black mare with minimal white - mostly on her legs and she has thrown two fillies -- BOTH pinto!)

Mom is smokey black, I was told dad was 'black and white' take that to mean what you will, I thought pinto.

My welsh pony is that color and everybody calls him chestnut with a flaxen mane and tail. I have also heard the term silver bay, but to me that color is a little more red in the undertone. I'm no color expert, this is just what friends have mentioned when we get gabbing.
I am curious, have you clipped Oliver and what color is he if you have?

Sure looks silver smoky black, but if mom is smoky black and dad is black and white, silver anything is not possible, cause it would have to come from a parent and it always expresses on black base. Do you have pictures of the parents?

I haven't clipped him but am going to have to get some off his neck in a few weeks so he can have an IV shot to finally be gelded, I'll let you know what colour he is under there.

This is mom, she was a rescue so really no idea about dad. I think she's smokey black but you tell me? She has just shed out, this is her true colour before sun bleaching.IMG_20200612_073542.jpg

Different question. Spirit, dad of the one I'm waiting on no relation to Oliver, is registered as black/white pintaloosa. It doesn't really show in this picture( I'll try to get one in the sun) but he looks dark brown not black in person, even his mane. Is it the roaning doing that or could he be brown but tested black(if he was tested) or looked black when he was younger? Also does pintaloosa mean he will always throw pinto,pintaloosa or appy? I couldn't find pintaloosa on the colour calculator. He carries red. Mom is heterozygous black/white pinto, carries red.
IMG_20200612_074135.jpg

Your little guy, bottom pic, is a pintaloosa and if he looks more brown, it could be sun bleaching.
And, if not sun bleaching, it could be color shift due to the genes that cause appy patterns. I've seen pictures of tested black horses that are so color shifted by appy genes, they look red.

He's just finishing shedding so I don't think it's sun bleaching but that's really interesting that appy genes can cause colour shifting.

Hard for me to be sure by just one the picture, but the mare could be silver smoky black. Cream and silver together interact strangely giving unusual shades.

I didn't know you could have silver and cream together, but then I'd never heard of pintaloosa before either. Crazy colours! I love it!!!! How do you do the genetics testing to find out?

UC Davis in California or Animal Genetics in Florida. Just pull a few hairs (mane or tail) root and all, the genetic code is in the roots. Then pick the tests you want done. To determine base and whether silver or not; extension (red factor), agouti and silver, then you could add cream test if you want to know that as well. Animal Genetics has quarterly sales on their tests.

Latest posts

Back