Colour

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniaddiction

Reaction score
I have a grey mare. Born Black, then went brown, now steel grey. I imagine by the time i breed her she will be almost totally grey. Her Dam is same colour as her. Sire is Dark Brown. Her Dam has produced to date 2 grey fillies and a Dark brown colt(permanent colour) to the brown stallion and a solid grey filly to a chestnut and white pinto stallion... I was wondering if the grey colour is the dominant one all the time or if it doesnt work that way at all?? Is it pot Luck what i get from breeding? or is there certian colours in stallions that will come out stronger than my mares grey and produce another colour? Sorry if I am not making any sense!!!! Thanks, Helen

Last edited by a moderator:
Since one parent was not gray then you have a 50% chance of each foal born to the gray filly going gray. The gray gene is dominant, meaning only one copy needs to be present for it to be expressed. Basically what it does is fade out the horse's color and it will do this to any other color. Hope that helps!

Latest posts

Back