Colour question...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassie

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have a colour question for all you who love colour genes etc

My mini pony mare I have always classed as a silver bay or silver dapple but I just got a full pedigree from her breeder and I'm confused...

Her dam was black and her sure was palomino..,,

I was looking on the colour genetics website and it didn't show any silver bays in the percentages at all...

So my question is with those two parents do you think my mare can be silver bay/dapple?

It's probably a silly question but I was curious and would love any info you guys can give
default_smile.png

Thanks in advance for any advice

Silver dapple is actually silver on black and silver bay is silver on black with an agouti gene thrown in. Now you have said the dam was black which means she carried neither the silver gene nor the agouti gene since both are expressed on black. The sire tho was a palomino which is red with a cream gene. while he clearly did not pass on a cream gene if your horse is silver dapple or silver bay he could still have given her both the silver gene and the agouti gene since neither will express on a red horse. So if her dam gave her a black gene and her sire a silver gene she would be silver dapple. If the sire also passed on an agouti gene she would be silver bay. So yes, either is possible.

Reignmaker is right--silver bay or silver black is entirely possible if the palomino sire passed on silver and perhaps agouti.

Do you have a picture of your mare?

Remember too that many silver bays are incorrectly registered as chestnut. In some cases a silver bay or even a silver black gets registered as palomino (it's not so unusual to have someone refer to a silver dapple as "chocolate palomino". So--you cannot always go by the colors on the registration papers to determine what color your horse can be.

Thank you both for your replies. your advice is great thank you.

I love the colour genetics and would love to learn more on it, thank you for the advice you have given
default_smile.png

here are some pictures of Suzie. (the three from the show she was still in the final stages of shedding out her winter coat )

23929_10151483502379027_333240602_n.jpg

559453_10151483501694027_400374724_n.jpg

559517_10151483501389027_831234180_n.jpg

this one was just after she had been clipped and washed ready for the Royal

140313clipped.JPG

Would love to know what you girls think of her colouring...

She is going to visit a stallion tomorrow which is very exciting! a little chestnut, hopefully we should get a nice foal from them this time next year
default_smile.png

p.s click on the pictures to make them bigger
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah there's our special girl!
default_wub.png

Didn't realise that her 'stud visiting' day had come round so soon Cassie - good luck!

My vote is Silver Black -- what so many people call "chocolate palominos".

Love our Susie!! Have a nice visit with your new boyfriend! We'll be waiting anxiously to see your new baby next year!!

Thank you everyone for your advice on my special girl
default_smile.png
very exciting that you all think she is silver black
default_smile.png
she went to visit the stallion today and will stay there for a little while we think she is just coming into season which is very exciting!!

Thank you Diane
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back